Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,174 Posts

If you missed this year's final, I'd recommend you watch this instead.
I'd recommend you watch any of Graf's RG finals (win or lose), bar 1988 of course.

·
Registered
315 Posts
WTA players are crap now. This finals between barty and von looked as if 2 players were practicing than an actual grand slam final!

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Oh I just posted about this :lol:

I still think this is the most memorable match I've ever watched. Along with maybe Venus-Hingis 2000 USO sf

:worship:

·
Registered
39,732 Posts
Steffi Graf's movement and balance to this day remains the best I've ever seen. Always on her toes. This was such a great ending to her career at 30 years of age, where we today have medicine and other knowledge about prolonging careers that could have extended her time a bit longer.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
That 15-15 point at 5-4 second set with Hingis serving for it was burned into my memory that day. That is how you ask the question HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT THIS?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Graf's greatest win because of all Hingisova said before. The queen killing her successor. That Hingis never won a singles slam again makes it even bigger. It doesn't really matter that Hingis was the better player and it wasn't this match but other players ending her slam-winning career. I really wonder why there is no movie about this, it doesn't get more emotional in sports.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
STEFFI! *clap clap clap* STEFFI! *clap clap clap* STEFFI! *clap clap clap*
Most crowds were pretty indifferent towards Steffi so she truly relished having their support that day. Quite an iconic match really. But also kind of sad - not just for being Steffi's final Slam title but also Hingis was never really the same after that, and would never win another Grand Slam singles title.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I don't think that this cost Martina another Slam. You want to say that she squandered 4 match points against Jennifer for this?! I don't really think so. That cost her that Wimbledon 1R (!) exit, at best.
Steffi would've been disappointed had she not won another GS title three years later when the retirement came.
And, yes, this match was, kind of, RATHER memorable, but people overract a little bit. A movie?! Really? I don't know. Even calling it 'iconic' is, sort of, controversial, as it might be 'the most controversial match ever'?

P. S. She won them in doubles and mixed left and right (including this tournament, lol).

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
What a run. Davenport Seles Hingis all great players. Graf always had bigger game than hingis and when she got ahead, there was no looking back!

·
Registered
21,964 Posts

·
Registered
38,326 Posts
Serena and Kournikova also said Graf was over back in 1998 and she beat them both after that, just not in a Grand Slam final.

I don't think that this cost Martina another Slam. You want to say that she squandered 4 match points against Jennifer for this?! I don't really think so. That cost her that Wimbledon 1R (!) exit, at best.
Steffi would've been disappointed had she not won another GS title three years later when the retirement came.
And, yes, this match was, kind of, RATHER memorable, but people overract a little bit. A movie?! Really? I don't know. Even calling it 'iconic' is, sort of, controversial, as it might be 'the most controversial match ever'?

P. S. She won them in doubles and mixed left and right (including this tournament, lol).
This. What ended Hingis's career as a Slam contender were ligament injuries in both ankles, which btw got her a gazillion dollars in settlement money from Sergio Tacchini. :eek:h:

Reactions: Perun and Linguae^

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Thanks for posting this :yeah: So much drama :lol: It's a classic and I miss them both a lot. Steffi was such an incredible mover, a supreme athlete. I'm still bummed she didn't get the Wimbledon title a few weeks later but this was a great way to top off her career.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts