Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
48,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Welcome to the 1st WTA Masters TOKYO
in Tokyo,Japan

This is the second week of play on the tour and the Masters Series starts off with Tokyo and the busy Asian city life ;)! If last week is any indication everyone will play their best and battle it off for the titles and try to grab the #1 spot!

Tokyo Singles Draw

Kim Clijsters BYE
Anna Kournikova .v. Alicia Molik
Ashley Harkleroad .v. Ai Sugiyama

Maria Sharapova BYE
Elena Bovina .v. Justine Henin-Hardenne
Daniela Hantuchova .v. Jennifer Capriati
Lindsay Davenport .v. Dinara Safina

Venus Williams BYE
Els Callens BYE
Serena Williams .v. Eleni Daniilidou
Chanda Rubin .v. Anna Pistolesi

Magdalena Maleeva BYE
Marion Bartoli BYE
Anastasia Myskina .v. Jelena Dokic
Martina Hingis .v. Monica Seles

Silvia Farina Elia BYE

Tokyo Women's Doubles Draw

J.Dokic/A.Pistolesi .v. A.Kournikova/M.Sharapova
M.Hingis/M.Seles .v. S.Farina Elia/C.Rubin
V.Williams/S.Williams .v. A.Harkleroad/A.Molik or K.Clijsters/M.Maleeva
A.Myskina/D.Safina .v. J.Capriati/E.Daniilidou

Singles Points Due:September 23rd
Doubles Points Due:September 24th

Tournament Schedule
Wednesday
Singles 1st Round
Thursday Singles 2nd Round/Doubles 1st Round and Top Half Quarters
Friday Singles Quarters/Doubles Bottom Half Quarters
Saturday Singles and Doubles Semis
Sunday Singles and Doubles Finale

:bigclap: GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE :bigclap:

48,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Women's Previews

In the first match theres a battle between the strong Anna Kournikova and the injured brain of Alicia Molik for not training :p! This can be a simple win for Anna if she tries enough!

Anna Kournikova d. Alicia Molik in 2 sets

In another battle of the injured Ashley Harkleroad the focused American will play the crowd favourite Ai Sugiyama. Both players did not compete last week but I know Ashley can do somethinf with her game!

Ashley Harkleroad d. Ai Sugiyama in 3 sets

In the second quarter of the draw Daniela Hantuchova will meet Jennifer Capriati of the USA. Jennifer made a strong performance last week in Australia but Daniela didn't look so comfortable on the tour. This will be the main difference.

Jennifer Capriati d. Daniela Hantuchova in 2 sets

The last match in the top half involves Lindsay Davenport and Dinara Safina. Lindsay is playing with confidence and that's something that we like to see in a player. Dinara is going to be new to the atmosphere here in Tokyo coming off an injury!

Lindsay Davenport d. Dinara Safina in 2 sets

Serena Williams will face Eleni Daniilidou. Poor Eleni. She has to face another Williams Sister after being blown away by Venus last week. Serena is the stronger of the two but Eleni has guts!

Eleni Daniilidou d. Serena Williams in 3 sets

Chanda Rubin a good doubles player meets Anna Pistolesi the recent Doubles Champion of Australia. I should expect a lot of spins from Anna cause that will throw Chanda off her rhythym in this match

Anna Pistolesi d. Chanda Rubin in 2 sets

Anastasia Myskina versus Jelena Dokic in the final quarter. Jelena Dokic is also coming off a Doubles win in Australia and Anastasia is looking so well at the moment with her play. Myskina MUST pick up her form if she wants some wins!

Anastasia Myskina d. Jelena Dokic in 2 sets

The Final Match involves Martina Hingis and Monica Seles. A shame that the doubles partners must meet each other in Singles. But you have to do it sometime! Monica is the fresher of the two and attacks. Martina just sometimes lays back and looks for angles.

Monica Seles d. Martina Hingis in 3 sets

· Registered
10,834 Posts
how many points can I send since this is my first tournie?

16,056 Posts
Anna Pistolesi
Retires after Tokyo ONLY SINGLES doubles she will stay with Jelena

Anna interview

"I just want to say it has been great playing on the WTA Master Series. I enjoy it much , but I dont think singles is really my calling. I love doubles Jelena and I are good friends and I intend to stay with her forever! I hope to come away with a win. You know go out strong(chuckels)."

Anna after interview

· Registered
2,497 Posts
Myskina looking to improve form in Tokyo

I am very much looking forward to the tournement here in Tokyo. I have been working hard on my game, and practising with Safina has helped me lots. My first round will be very tough against Jelena, she is a very good player that has potential to be a top player on this tour so it will be interesting match for sure.

16,056 Posts
will you please keep Anna P. on all the rankings including singles so people wont think she is still open to choose and Anna might make a comeback....hint......hint.....she is thinking U.DS. Open if she does succesfull here and start full next season!

48,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Women's Singles 1st Round

Alicia Molik d. Anna Kournikova 6-4 1-6 6-3
Ashley Harkleroad d. Ai Sugiyama w-o(Final Warning)
Elena Bovina d. Justine Henin Hardenne w-o
Jennifer Capriati d. Daniela Hantuchova w-o
Lindsay Davenport d. Dinara Safina w-o
Eleni Daniilidou d. Serena Williams 6-0 6-2
Chanda Rubin d. Anna Pistolesi 7-6 6-7 7-5
Jelena Dokic d. Anastasia Myskina w-o
Monica Seles d. Martina Hingis w-o

· Premium Member
8,215 Posts
yes but then they'll be missing out on ranking points so it kinda works out alright. BUT i think there should be a points penalty for not sending in points no matter what reason. so if you dont send in points for a tournament, then those people should automatically have 30 points deducted from their total points left

6,673 Posts

Eleni Daniilidou singing autographs after her great win over Serena Williams 6-0 6-2

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.