1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
48,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Welcome
1st Ever WMS Australian Open Championships
in Melbourne,Australia

We here in Melbourne are very excited about your arrival in Australia for the first tournament of the WTA Masters Series.:) There is no question that there will be excitement but also with that comes the sadness. All in all this is going to be a marvelous week of tennis!

Australian Open Singles Draw

Monica Seles(USA) BYE
Jennifer Capriati(USA) .v. Serena Williams(USA)
Magdalena Maleeva(BUL) .v. Maria Sharapova(RUS)
Ai Sugiyama(JPN) BYE
Anna Pistolesi(ISR) BYE
Martina Hingis(SUI) .v. Silvia Farina Elia(ITA)
Kim Clijsters(BEL) BYE
Chanda Rubin(USA) BYE
Lindsay Davenport(USA) BYE
Venus Williams(USA) .v. Eleni Daniilidou(GRE)
Ashley Harkleroad(USA) .v. Elena Bovina(RUS)

Alicia Molik(AUS) BYE
Dinara Safina(RUS) BYE
Daniela Hantuchova(SVK) .v. Marion Bartoli(FRA)
Jelena Dokic(SER) BYE
Anna Kournikova(RUS) BYE

Australian Open Womens Doubles Draw

Anastasia Myskina/Dinara Safina(RUS/RUS) .v. Jelena Dokic/Anna Pistolesi(SER/ISR)
Anna Kournikova/Maria Sharapova(RUS/RUS) .v. Kim Clijsters/Magdalena Maleeva(BEL/BUL)
Silvia Farina Elia/Chanda Rubin(ITA/USA) .v. Martina Hingis/Monica Seles(SUI/USA) or Venus Williams/Serena Williams(USA)
Jennifer Capriati/Eleni Daniilidou(USA/GRE) .v. Ashley Harkleroad/Alicia Molik(USA/AUS)

Australian Open Mixed Doubles Draw

Ashley Harkleroad/Xavier Malisse BYE
Serena Williams/Andre Agassi .v. Jennifer Capriati/Robert Ginepri
Jelena Dokic/Tommy Haas .v. Anna Kournikova/Tommy Robredo
Silvia Farina Elia/Juan Carlos Ferrero .v. Anna Pistolesi/Taylor Dent
Venus Williams/Pete Sampras .v. Monica Seles/Jan Michael Gambill
Magdalena Maleeva/Janko Tipsarevic .v. Eleni Daniilidou/David Nalbandian
Maria Sharapova/James Blake .v. Kim Clijsters/Lleyton Hewitt

Chanda Rubin/Andy Roddick .v. Martina Hingis/Patrick Rafter

Doubles and Mixed Doubles Teams Due in the Partnership Thread Due: September 15th
Singles Points Due: September 14th
Doubles and Mixed Doubles Points Due: September 16th

We,The Organizing Committee are proud of the so many competitors that have chosen the Series and the Australian Open to compete in.

:bigclap: GOOD LUCK! :bigclap:

Schedule

Tuesday
Singles 1st Round
Wednesday Singles Top Half 2nd Round,Doubles 1st Round
Thursday Singles Bottom Half 2nd Round,Doubles Quarters,Mixed 1st Round
Friday Singles Quarters,Doubles Semis,Mixed Quarters
Saturday Singles Semis,Doubles Finale,Mixed Semis
Sunday Singles and Mixed Doubles Championships

·
48,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Women's Singles Previews

The Women's Singles Draw is full of talent and surprises.

In the Round of 16 matchup Jennifer Capriati will face Monica Seles. Monica has the confidence and practice time but Jennifer has got rid of the match jitters coming off a win over powerful Serena Williams.Jennifer wont' have to hit with much power and that'll be the key.
Monica Seles defeats Jennifer Capriati in 3 sets

In the second match Ai Sugiyama and Maria Sharapova go for the quarters. Again Maria has the match experience(1):p but Ai is so mentally tough. Rumour has it that Sugiyama has a memory disorder but Maria will not have to do much to win this match just keep it clean.
Maria Sharapova defeats Ai Sugiyama in 2 sets

The third match of the top half features Martina Hingis and Anna Pistolesi. Both players play the ball smart with not much pace. This will be an interesting match on who will step it up a bit to get that ONE break!
Martina Hingis defeats Anna Pistolesi in 2 sets

Kim Clijsters and Chanda Rubin face off. Not much to tell here. Chanda doesn't look like Chanda wants to win this one as she will just wait for the errors from Kim that don't happen that much. Chanda must be way more aggresive!
Kim Clijsters defeats Chanda Rubin in 3 sets

Venus is the clear favourite here. After her fantastic first round win 1 and love she has more power than we expected using all that she can to win matches, Lindsay probably didn't bother to show up for this match.
Venus Williams defeats Lindsay Davenport in 2 sets

The crowd favourite Alicia Molik wiull face the fierce Elena Bovina in the 2nd round. Alicia knows how to use the crowd in Melbourne and will take every last cheer for her. But Elena wont be that discouraged from them and will play her own game and take it to the Aussie!
Elena Bovina defeats Alicia Molik in 2 sets

Both of the next players should know how to play. Marion is a hard worker and believes the results will come in for her. Dinara on the other hand does what she wants and works as much as she wants to. Marion looks to be the better player in the situation
Marion Bartoli defeats Dinara Safina in 3 sets

Jelena Dokic is a bit tired today and Anna is just free spirit. Jelena Dokic needs to use a bit more power to win this match as Anna is throwing it all out on the table!
Jelena Dokic defeats Anna Kournikova in 3 sets

That's My Loook Forward for the Second Matches of the Masters Series!

:bigclap: Good Luck to All! :bigclap:

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Maria arrives in Melbourne

Maria Sharapova arriving in Melbourne to a crowd of around 3,000 :eek: fans awaiting to see the new beauty on the tour.

Maria has arrived in Melbourne today, she got to the airport at 8.30 in the evening local time. Maria flew from Detroit to Tokyo and then finally to Melbourne, Australia.

Maria Sharapova is the first WMS player to arrive downunder and has already spoke to the media about this great new tour. "Im very happy to be here early, I was practicing back at home in Florida, then I went onto Detroit to do some fitness training and now Im here in this nice country. I havent had a chance to look around yet, but im sure ill do so in the next couple of days."

She is one of the youngest players to join this tour and she already has high expectations of her. She is one of the most popular players on tour already and she always gives 100% in all matches. "I love playing tennis, its my job and I like what I do very much. The fans are just so great and when I arrived yesterday In melboure, I had a huge cheering aquad there waiting for me, it was really so nice."

On Tuesday when this GS commences Maria Sharapova wasn`t lucky enough to get a first round bye, She has to play Magdalena Maleeva first round and when asked about her game play and her opponent Maria said; "Sorrry guys, im not here to talk about the Australian Open just yet, tomorrow ill be doing a press conference about the Australian Open and ill be sure to answer all your questions then."

"Im just so excited about going out and playing, I really cant wait to get out on court and play my game, its going to be a really tough season against all these girls and I hope I can do very well and capture those titles that im destined to win and become world number 1 on the WMS tour."

Maria Sharapova on her way to the exclusive private players hotel in Melbourne; Australia​

·
24,828 Posts
Who said I am not practising enough??

'I'm training every day since I arrived in Sydney and feel myself in great shape! Sharapova isn't the great opponent for me - she has very powerful shots but I have my own tactics and strenghts and I think if everything goes OK I will beat her easily'.
:aparty:

·
Registered
474 Posts

Capriati Arrives in Melbourne

Capriati, hoping to win her first Major and tournament title here at the Australian Open, is currently practicing with her coach on the practice courts. Here is her current interview:

Interviewer: How do u feel about playing here at the Aussie Open, being the first tournament of the W.M.S Tour?

Capriati: I feel great, The WMS is a great tour to play for, and I just love the courts here at the Australian Open. I believe that I will do well here..

Interviewer: Do you have a doubles partner yet?

Capriati: I have asked Daniilidou, just waiting for a confirmation..

Interviewer: There are alot of americans in the draw!

Capriati: Yes, there are several americans, me, lindsay, chanda, monica, ashley, its just great to see americans here! :)

Interviewer: How do you feel facing Serena in the first round?

Capriati: Serena is a great player, we have had great matches playing each other, its going to be a great match

Interviewer: Good luck in the tournament!

Capriati: Thanks

--Capriati faces Serena Williams in the first round--

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
Serena Williams Ready to Conquer Down Under!

Serena Williams arrived in Melbourne yesterday ready to take on the world's best at the Australian Open. She is pumped up and can't wait to face Jennifer Capriati in her First Round Match.
imghttp://tennisphotolibrary.com/images/watermark/10009108/tpl/beimrs._williams-10aus03.jpgimg
Serena seen here practicing while her mother looks on. Serena was asked about her First Round Match, and these were her comments.
"Well I know that it certainly will be a very tough match. Jen is a great opponent and it's a shame that we have to face each other in the First Round of a Grand Slam. I am working hard by practicing and hopefully I can come out the winner in the match, and move one step closer to holding up that trophy!"
Serena is excited and simply loves Australia. She loves to play here and hopes she will have a great match and tournament.
-Saturday, September 13th, 2003

·
48,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Players Arrive

Some 10 Players have arrived so far in Melbourne to try to win the Australian Open.

Some might say the Williams Sisters are the favourites

Not if Lindsay has any say in it as she is right at work.

Also Jennifer might be the undersog but it's all business when your on the courts and competing!

Anna struts her stuff as she arrives in Australia to impress everyone with her great play!

More Players are scheduled to arrive. But are they prepared? Will they be up to the task that lies ahead? There's no telling what can happen in WMS!

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Venus in Melbourne
Williams Faces Daniilidou in Opening Match

Venus Williams watches a practice session of her sister Serena Williams. Venus plays Eleni Daniilidou in the opening round of the Australian Open. Venus and Serena are in the doubles draw together

Melbourne--Venus Williams sits in the stands watching her sister Serena have a practice session. About an hour ago, it was Venus on the court with Serena watching.

"We normally don't miss practices. We watch, and sometimes we practice together. Today, we wanted to work alone," Venus smiled.

Venus arrives in Melbourne, not too sure about her game plan.

"It's a new tour, so I have no idea how it'll work. All the girls, obviously want to win, so it'll be up to me to try harder. I have little expectations, but I hope to walk away with a title," Venus said.

In addition to the singles, Venus is in the doubles draw with sister Serena, and the mixed draw with Pete Sampras.​

·
Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
Monica Seles has arrived!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Monica practices "under the lights" at the Australian Open. She is ready to take on her second round matchup with either Jennifer Capriati or Serena Williams!

·
Don't mess with Texas!
4,900 Posts
PM !.Steven.! ASAP. He might still accept them.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.