Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's be honest; Kim has the edge here, plus she has beaten Lindsay every time they have played this year. However, this is the semi of the US Open and the home crowd is going to be rooting very hard for Lindsay and that may affect Kim, who has only performed well at the FO semifinal in Grand Slam semis. Plus, there will be pressure on her to get to the final since she is the number one without a Grand Slam and Lindsay will have nothing to lose since she few expect her to win and this is her last tournament of the year.

Having said that, my prediction is:

Lindsay in two tough sets (this also depends on how her foot is doing, which seems to be doing fine).

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Kim in two sets :)

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
I wonder whether Lindsay intends to play from start to finish, or play for the first few games, then if it's going wrong act like a 27 year-old junior player, drop her shoulders, show Kim "it's over".....then kiss and grin at the net like a gracious loser?

Lindsay has been a waste of time this year relative to what she's capable of. She's making up the numbers in the top 10 these days. If she can't improve her attitude in the US Open semis, she may as well do what she's been hinting at.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Steffica Greles said:
I wonder whether Lindsay intends to play from start to finish, or play for the first few games, then if it's going wrong act like a 27 year-old junior player, drop her shoulders, show Kim "it's over".....then kiss and grin at the net like a gracious loser?

Lindsay has been a waste of time this year relative to what she's capable of. She's making up the numbers in the top 10 these days. If she can't improve her attitude in the US Open semis, she may as well do what she's been hinting at.
Well aren't you just a bright little ray of sunshine? :D

Kim in 2 sets :sad:

Lindsay has a chance here, but she wasn't playing well against Paola, and she certainly wasn't moving well, and Kim has beaten her every time they've played this year and is just plain old playing better tennis. So when I said "Lindsay has a chance," it means slim chance at best.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I think Kim will wins this easily because Lindsay is injured and Kim knows how to beat Lindsay. If Lindsay really want to win, she must change her tactics and try to give pressure to Kim.
Good Luck both girls :kiss:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
No way Lindsay will win in straight sets. Even if Kim succumbs to the pressure (which won't happen until the final, if it happens at all), she's too good - and Lindsay too moody - to not at least win a set.

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
Steffica Greles said:

Call me bias but I think Lindsay has done extremely well this year considering she has been plagued with the foot injury since April!

Moving on to the matter at hand, having had the steroidle injection just prior to the US Open Lindsay is banking on the injection to hold up (usually lasts between 2 and 4 weeks). Lindsay has proved she has the tools to defeat Kim, however since coming back from the knee op and having had trouble with the foot most of the season she has been unable to defeat kim in the last 4 attempts.

The law of averages says that Lindsay is due a victory over Kim, God willing the foot will hold out and she can really test Kim. I remember when people though that hingis would never beat Lindsay having lost 4 or 5 times in a row against her but then Martina defeated Lindsay. Anything is possible.

I think (and hope) that Lindsay will win. I'd love to say it will be in two sets, but I just think it could well be in three sets :eek:

:wavey:Rachel

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Kim has the edge, but i would call it just a confidence edge.

Once Lindsay showed her A game, theres nothing Kim could do.

Lindsay in 2 or if 3 sets, Kim might take it, depends on how long the match is.

Come on Lindsay!!!!

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Oh come on now.

Lindsay has defeated herself in too many matches this year. If her foot's not good enough, she wouldn't play. Way back in Indian Wells her attitude in the final against Kim was diabolical, but against Kim in LA it was ten times worse. She virtually looked like she'd thrown in the towel at some stages. The commentators and the crowd were shocked.

That is not the attitude of a player with serious ambitions left in the game.

I think Lindsay is STILL the player most capable of troubling Venus and Serena. She hits the ball like no other, with Seles perhaps the exception. But if Lindsay wins the US Open, much as I've loved watching her over the years, she'll simply be winning it for old times' sake, with Serena returning to thrash her in their next meeting.

But I can't see that happening anyway. Lindsay doesn't have the grit required to pull her game together in tense matches against top players.

I remember Sabatini went through Lindsay's stage from around 1993 to 1995, her last full year before retirement. She was by then nothing more than a consistent top ten player, continuing more from habit than anything else.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
The key to beating Kim is making her play offense. Under any sort of pressure or challenge, Kim goes on defense. There she waits for a mistake, either a UE or an easy ball to kill. You can beat this by hitting consistent hard deep shots, and NOT giving Kim that mistake. This sort of steady constant pressure forces Kim to stat trying to hit winners. Not her strong suit.

Because Kim can hit with enough pace to challenge Lindsay's footspeed, Lindsay has trouble keeping consistent deep groundstrokes vs Kim. Kim then exploits mistakes.

Lindsay will have to open it up and go for BIG winners. Not her style.

I think Kim in two.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Lindsay in two tough sets (this also depends on how her foot is doing, which seems to be doing fine).
You picked Mauresmo to beat Kim as well

·
Banned
596 Posts
i'm sorry, American posters, but this time,
someone will take the title away from the Americans
that is just a fact, maybe you're pissed, but hey,
what do i care:)
GO KIM/JUSTIN:D

·
Banned
365 Posts
during the Paola/Davenport match...Paola played a point that looked like a classic 'Kim Point' Davenport looked like a beached whale trying to get from the surf (court) to the sea (tennis ball).

This match is all about Kim. If she can play well...she will win. If she has an 'off day' she will lose.

·
Banned
928 Posts
What did they schedule for Ai/Kim on day 12........two double matches before Kim's semi-final?

Women's Doubles Second Round

Kim Clijsters BEL (1)
Ai Sugiyama JPN (1)
vs. Walkover
Lisa McShea AUS
Trudi Musgrave AUS

Lisa McShea /Trudi Musgrave go further to the third round!

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kim&lleytonrule said:
You picked Mauresmo to beat Kim as well
Because I thought she would play the way she was playing the last week, but I was wrong.

I know you are a Kim fan, but I really don't think she is going to win this US Open. I am no Justine fan, butr this is hers to lose. Kim should have been in the AO final, but chocked to Serena. She should have won the Wimbledon semfinal against an injured Venus, but was outplayed in the last set (?, don't use the rain delay as an excuse). As with the AO and Wimbeldon, she had to battlee past Grand Slam champions and couldn't. To win the USO, she will have to do the same and sorry, Lindsay or Justine will come out on top.

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
They are my girls so I'm gon be happy for one and sad for the other. :) :sad:

Go Miss Kim and Miss Lindsay! :kiss:

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
I honestly don't think Lindsay has a chance. Kim owns her, and I don't see why that would stop now.

Lindsay has about a 10% chance to win a set and a 1% chance to emerge the victor.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Lindsy just don't have the movement to beat Kim. However, If she comes with her best performance she'll beat Kim.

Lindsy will have to really want it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts