Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always remember Huber as a blond, so I am pretty sure it is not Anke. I am not sure when this pic was taken. It looks like Graf is wearing the same black dress as she did during her 1999 champs send-off cermemony, but Hingis looks younger. 1996?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Mark38 said:
I always remember Huber as a blond, so I am pretty sure it is not Anke. I am not sure when this pic was taken. It looks like Graf is wearing the same black dress as she did during her 1999 champs send-off cermemony, but Hingis looks younger. 1996?
Seeing that Natasha Zvereva is on the end, I'd bet it's just a strange photo of Gigi Fernandez, and 1996 is a good guess. Hingis still has those sausage-link legs, which she eventually got rid of.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Mark38 said:
Jimmy Dean or more Hormel breakfast links?
Wasn't that the year that Hingis actually won a doubles grand slam (or at least 3 majors) with different partners, and still didn't get voted doubles player of the year? Could be thinking of a different year.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow, Hingis was so young

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Wasn't that the year that Hingis actually won a doubles grand slam (or at least 3 majors) with different partners, and still didn't get voted doubles player of the year? Could be thinking of a different year.
That was in 1998. Hingis won the AO with Mirjana Lucic and the remaining three Slams with Jana Novotna, but apparently something as insignificant as winning the Grand Slam wasn't enough for her to overtake Natasha Zvereva in the doubles rankings at the end of the year. Such a marvellous ranking system, Best N. <rolling eyes>

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
samn said:
That was in 1998. Hingis won the AO with Mirjana Lucic and the remaining three Slams with Jana Novotna, but apparently something as insignificant as winning the Grand Slam wasn't enough for her to overtake Natasha Zvereva in the doubles rankings at the end of the year. Such a marvellous ranking system, Best N. <rolling eyes>
Actually, the players voted Davenport and Zvereva if memory serves, at the WTA awards banquet, and it didn't really have anything to do with the ranking system- it was a popularity contest (which shows you how well hated Hingis was at the time).:lol:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Actually, the players voted Davenport and Zvereva if memory serves, at the WTA awards banquet, and it didn't really have anything to do with the ranking system- it was a popularity contest (which shows you how well hated Hingis was at the time).:lol:
But Zvereva also finished the year at the top of the rankings. Hingis, in spite of her sweep of the majors, was ranked second behind Zvereva.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
I remember in 1999 when Hingis and Lindsay both ended with 7 singles titles each. Both had one Slam title and Lindsay beat Hingis to win the YEC title. Hingis reached 3 GS finals, while Lindsay didn't make it to a major final outside Wimbledon which she won. It was close, but Lindsay won the WTA Player of the Year award, even though she was ranked #2 behind Hingis. In her acceptance speech, Lindsay mentioned how she and Hingis were equally deserving of the award and that she was accepting it on behalf of both of them....or something along those lines.

The Hingis-Davenport situation in 1999 reminds me of the Graf-Seles situation in 1990. Graf and Hingis won the AO and lost in RG and US Open finals. Seles won RG and did not make another Slam final. Davenport won Wimbledon and did not make another Slam final. Seles and Davenport won YEC. Davenport and Seles finished at #2 and Hingis and Graf finished at #1.

I can't see the picture. :(

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
hingis-seles said:
I remember in 1999 when Hingis and Lindsay both ended with 7 singles titles each. Both had one Slam title and Lindsay beat Hingis to win the YEC title. Hingis reached 3 GS finals, while Lindsay didn't make it to a major final outside Wimbledon which she won. It was close, but Lindsay won the WTA Player of the Year award, even though she was ranked #2 behind Hingis. In her acceptance speech, Lindsay mentioned how she and Hingis were equally deserving of the award and that she was accepting it on behalf of both of them....or something along those lines.

The Hingis-Davenport situation in 1999 reminds me of the Graf-Seles situation in 1990. Graf and Hingis won the AO and lost in RG and US Open finals. Seles won RG and did not make another Slam final. Davenport won Wimbledon and did not make another Slam final. Seles and Davenport won YEC. Davenport and Seles finished at #2 and Hingis and Graf finished at #1.

I can't see the picture. :(
On the other hand, Davenport didn't have any early round losses at the majors in 1999.

Seles in 1990
AO: DNP
FO: won
W: QF (lost to Garrison)
US: 3R (lost to Ferrando)

Davenport in 1999
AO: SF (lost to Mauresmo)
FO: QF (lost to Graf)
W: won
US: SF (lost to Serena Williams)

In the three Slams that she didn't win, Davenport lost either to the eventual winner (twice) or to the eventual finalist (once). While she didn't dominate a part of the season as Seles did in 1990, she turned in a more consistent set of results in the major events. (If you ask me, I'd say that Seles had the more legitimate claim for PoTY, but don't forget that Davenport is an American, and the WTA is controlled by Americans and is very open about its bias.)

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
samn said:
On the other hand, Davenport didn't have any early round losses at the majors in 1999.

Seles in 1990
AO: DNP
FO: won
W: QF (lost to Garrison)
US: 3R (lost to Ferrando)

Davenport in 1999
AO: SF (lost to Mauresmo)
FO: QF (lost to Graf)
W: won
US: SF (lost to Serena Williams)

In the three Slams that she didn't win, Davenport lost either to the eventual winner (twice) or to the eventual finalist (once). While she didn't dominate a part of the season as Seles did in 1990, she turned in a more consistent set of results in the major events. (If you ask me, I'd say that Seles had the more legitimate claim for PoTY, but don't forget that Davenport is an American, and the WTA is controlled by Americans and is very open about its bias.)
You make a good point about Davenport's consistently deep finishes in the majors. Lindsay also managed to hold the #1 ranking for a small portion of the season (although, she started the year at #1), whereas Seles only got as close as #2 (although, she started the year at #6). Seles won 9 events in 1990, but I'd have to tie her and Steffi for POY in 1990. Monica's YEC title might have given her more big titles than the other players, but her early exits at the other majors would be held against her, while Steffi was W, F, SF, F in the majors, which is amazing consistency. In the Davenport-Hingis scenario, Hingis was W, F, 1R, F and Lindsay was SF, QF, W, SF. Hingis outdid her by just a bit in three of the majors, but the Wimbledon loss was a REALLY BAD loss, which Lindsay didn't have at any of the four major venues.

Re: the WTA bias (which definitely exists, IMO), Calimero once said that they changed the ranking system so that Seles could benefit from it when Steffi was injured in 1997. Things didn't go quite as planned and Hingis became #1 in March. There's no denying that Martina was the best player in the world at the time, but her #1 ranking in March still wasn't justified when you consider that she only held the Australian Open title, whereas Steffi, who was #2, held the titles at Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open and the YEC. It seems even more absurd that she became #1 in March, when you consider at the time that despite her SF finish at the US Open and a F finish at the YEC, she had lost before the QF at RG and Wimbledon. Hingis becoming #1 after Roland Garros or Wimbledon would have made more sense, in 1997.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hingis-seles said:
It seems even more absurd that she became #1 in March, when you consider at the time that despite her SF finish at the US Open and a F finish at the YEC, she had lost before the QF at RG and Wimbledon. Hingis becoming #1 after Roland Garros or Wimbledon would have made more sense, in 1997.
I thought that was ridiculous too. Steffi held 4 major titles and Martina only had 1. There is no way Steffi should have lost the number one ranking until June.

Was it reported in the press that the 1997 ranking change was designed to benefit Seles or to put more weight/emphasis on the current years results, de-emphasizing the previous years results? I thought that was the spin.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Mark38 said:
Was it reported in the press that the 1997 ranking change was designed to benefit Seles or to put more weight/emphasis on the current years results, de-emphasizing the previous years results? I thought that was the spin.
It was never mentioned in the press that the 1997 ranking change was designed to benefit Seles. I hadn't heard of it before Calimero mentioned it. Since Seles was playing for the US in 1997, and the WTA bias came up in this thread, I thought I'd mention it to see if anyone knew whether Calimero's interpretation was accurate or not, since most of the posters here are so knowledgable.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
hingis-seles said:
It was never mentioned in the press that the 1997 ranking change was designed to benefit Seles. I hadn't heard of it before Calimero mentioned it. Since Seles was playing for the US in 1997, and the WTA bias came up in this thread, I thought I'd mention it to see if anyone knew whether Calimero's interpretation was accurate or not, since most of the posters here are so knowledgable.
You need to ask one of the rankings bookworms here to do some research for you, although Calimero's stats are usually pretty good. It bores me to distraction to sit there and look through all those stats and numbers, and especially the history of and politics involve in the WTA/WITA/WTA computer rankings.

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
alfajeffster said:
You need to ask one of the rankings bookworms here to do some research for you, although Calimero's stats are usually pretty good. It bores me to distraction to sit there and look through all those stats and numbers, and especially the history of and politics involve in the WTA/WITA/WTA computer rankings.
It just seems a bit farfetched to me that the WTA would revamp their entire ranking system just so that Steffi Graf would no longer be #1. She was an icon; the face of women's tennis. Even non-tennis fans knew who Steffi Graf was. Why would they want her to lose the #1 ranking or implement a system that would favor Seles? It makes sense when you look at some of the choices they make regarding awards, that there is clearly a bias, but changing the ranking system? Then again, it's the WTA. It's such a screwed up organisation, anything's possible. If it's true, then the plan backfired bigtime, as another European assumed Steffi's throne. :lol:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Mark38 said:
Actually the WTA was fairly open about changing the ranking system in order to get its two biggest stars (Graf and Seles) to play more. I suppose the fat cats were a bit embarrassed by the fact that Graf was the undisputed #1 in 1995 and 1996 in spite of playing an extremely limited schedule (9 wins in 11 events in 1995 and 7 wins in 11 events in 1996).

As I recall, three players spoke out against the change in the ranking system: Graf, Seles, and Novotna. Graf went so far as to say that she didn't care what the WTA did; she wasn't going to play more events than she wanted to. Of course her injuries in 1997 rendered the point moot anyway.

I wouldn't be too surprised, however, if the WTA did indeed tinker with the ranking system to favour Seles who had become an American citizen by then. I just doubt that this would have been the case in 1997 when Seles herself was having quite a few problems with injuries.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts