Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone points to the Capriati/Seles match as the classic of this tournament, but I watched the Navratilova/Graf semi, and even though Graf lost that match- I have to say it's some of the best tennis ever. Martina's forehand stayed in the court, and she continually had Steffi on the ropes, and in the end, didn't let her off the hook with her booming serve, which was very much on that day. A pity she didn't play that well in the final, really.

· Registered
17,958 Posts
The Cappy vs. Seles match was a classic because it was the beginning of the first end for Jennifer:sad: . She never had the same fire and passion after losing that one. (well not til 2001 at least)

· Banned
3,052 Posts
She didn't play that well in the final because Monica played out of her mind. I had a tennis magazine and they listed in that magazine the top matches in terms of agressiveness. The Seles/Navratilova match ranked in the top5 as one of the most astonishing grandslam final performances between 2 champions in terms of agressiveness/accuracy, Monica had like 30 winners and only a couple of errors. Navratilova lost because she met a superior opponent in the final, the true no.1, Monica Seles.

· Registered
4,309 Posts
Those matches sound like absolute classics.

I think Monica was pumped for the final because Jen had nearly taken the true No. 1 down.

Graf had her opportunities but lost it.

That year sounds amazing!! I wish I'd been there live!!!!!

· Registered
20,830 Posts
the monica/cappy match was hyped more since nav as at the end and in fact they expected the same for steffi considering she was chronical injured already at 22 but kept playing for whatever reason.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DEETHELICK said:
Those matches sound like absolute classics.

I think Monica was pumped for the final because Jen had nearly taken the true No. 1 down.

Graf had her opportunities but lost it.

That year sounds amazing!! I wish I'd been there live!!!!!
Graf only had one or two opportunities, and she did play well that day- some amazing returns that I never saw her hit again- especially on the backhand side- she cracked a wide lefty spinning 1st serve from Martina back with a sliced pace that DIPPED (if you can believe it) cross-court in front of a charging Martina- no play on the ball.

The only thing I think Steffi could have done in that match was get her 1st serve percentage up. She gave Martina too many 2nd serves to approach with, but overall- it's a high standard of play if anyone who hasn't seen it is thinking about it.

· Registered
20,830 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Graf only had one or two opportunities, and she did play well that day- some amazing returns that I never saw her hit again- especially on the backhand side- she cracked a wide lefty spinning 1st serve from Martina back with a sliced pace that DIPPED (if you can believe it) cross-court in front of a charging Martina- no play on the ball.

The only thing I think Steffi could have done in that match was get her 1st serve percentage up. She gave Martina too many 2nd serves to approach with, but overall- it's a high standard of play if anyone who hasn't seen it is thinking about it.
read about fed cup a month before and you will know what was wrong with steffi's serve that time.

· Registered
20,830 Posts
but nav at least beat her, sabatini could not and I think steffi felt better at the us open (well I assume that even when a happy steffi after a loss is never a good sign)

· Registered
20,830 Posts
nav also played 3 tough matches in a row and won them at 34. I say it again why were the great champions of the past able to do that while the last generations whines after one 3 set match?

yeah I don't let that go. I never heard nav, monica or steffi complain that the masters final was best of five. they took the challenge

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
irma said:
nav also played 3 tough matches in a row and won them at 34. I say it again why were the great champions of the past able to do that while the last generations whines after one 3 set match?

yeah I don't let that go. I never heard nav, monica or steffi complain that the masters final was best of five. they took the challenge
Took the challenge? Yes they did- and in fact I am a little tired of this generation of players penchant for whining. Imagine Margaret Court's Grand Slam year, when she played singles, doubles, and mixed, and won all three at the U.S. Open in 1970 for the triple crown. The response is that she didn't have the competition today's players do, but in fact, she did- Billie Jean King, Evonne Goolagong, Kerry Melville (Reid), Virginia Wade, Ann Haydon Jones- hardly little blonde phenoms.

· Registered
20,830 Posts
well I think tournaments maybe had shorter draws in the sixties and seventies but nav had not so it doesn't count for her anyway. I don't understand why "being tired" is a legal excuse these days.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
irma said:

Well I don´t think Serena whined and complained that she had to play THREE straight three-setters just to reach the finals at the ´99 open.

The sisters didn´t complain when they had to play doubles half a hour after they both played three-sets at Wimby this year.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
irma said:
but she did at the masters 2002 and that was after one tough match.
I think she was tired, because she didn´t play for like three months and obviously didn´t take her training seriously.

· Registered
20,830 Posts
but then that doesn't say much about her mentality then (trainingswise), I just don't think the old champions did that since they always seemed to play otherwise you don't win over 150 tournaments. I don't think any player will be able to do that again

· Registered
47,657 Posts
irma said:
but then that doesn't say much about her mentality then (trainingswise), I just don't think the old champions did that since they always seemed to play otherwise you don't win over 150 tournaments. I don't think any player will be able to do that again
I don´t think it´s about mentality. Serena´s build is such that if she stays away from the court too long, her fitness level tends to suffer.

Yep, 150 tournaments are quite a haul indeed! Did your fav really win 150?! I thought is was more like 105 ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.