Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Tennis: Navratilova parts with her coach
The Times
London, England
January 10, 1987
REX BELLAMY, Tennis Correspondent, SYDNEY

Martina Navratilova and Mike Estep, her coach and practice partner since June 1983, have ended their professional association. Both stress that they are parting on friendly terms which they intend to maintain. For some time, Estep has wanted to move on to another job but he gave Miss Navratilova until the end of 1986 to find a replacement.

During the Australian championships, which will begin on Monday in Melbourne, her practice partner will be Randy Crawford. Like Estep and Miss Navratilova, Crawford is based in Dallas.

A player of Miss Navratilova's class and experience does not really need a coach; but she does need a male practice partner who can keep her physically and competitively sharp, advise her about strategy, ensure that any technical deficiencies are spotted and corrected, and provide consistent reassurance.

Estep has filled those roles so effectively that during their association, Miss Navratilova won 25 titles (10 singles, 12 women's doubles and three mixed doubles) in the grand slam championships of France, Wimbledon, the United States and Australia. Miss Navratilova's total tally, from 1974 to 1986, has been 42: 15 singles, 23 women's doubles and four mixed doubles.

She might have done it without Estep, but, on the other hand, she might not.

In addition to Estep's desire to change course, there could be another reason for the break. These coach-player relationships tend to become repetitive. Any coach has only so much to give as a sparring partner, adviser and motivator.

It is an awesome thought that Miss Navratilova might even benefit from the switch.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Navratilova, Estep split
Houston Chronicle
January 9, 1987
Houston Chronicle News Services

NEW YORK - Martina Navratilova and her coach, Mike Estep, have agreed "to part ways amicably in order to pursue other interests," the tennis star said yesterday.

The decision is effective immediately, Navratilova said by telephone before leaving for Australia, where she will defend her Australian Open singles and women's doubles titles.

"Mike and I remain on very friendly terms," the world's top-ranked player said. "We both enjoyed great success in the past several years and will maintain a solid, professional relationship."

Estep, who like Navratilova lives in Fort Worth, Texas, began coaching Navratilova in June 1983 after she was upset in the fourth round by Kathleen Horvath. Before that, he competed on the men's tour, his only tournament title coming in 1973.

Since Estep began coaching her, Navratilova has won 10 Grand Slam singles titles, including six in a row at one stretch, four mixed doubles titles and 12 women's doubles crowns at the French, U.S. and Australian Opens and Wimbledon.

A native of Dallas, Estep was a four-time All-American at Rice University.

Navratilova reportedly has hired former Wimbledon champion Virginia Wade and Randy Crawford, a club player, as hitting partners.

Becker downs McNamee

ADELAIDE, Australia - Two-time Wimbledon champion Boris Becker of West Germany beat Australia's Paul McNamee 6-3, 6-3 in the round-robin Rio International exhibition.

In the other match, Australia's Pat Cash defeated Sweden's Anders Jarryd 5-7, 6-3, 6-3.

Mecir in quarterfinals

AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Top-seeded Miloslav Mecir of Czechoslovakia reached the quarterfinals of the New Zealand Open championships with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Canada's Glenn Michibata.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Headline unavailable
January 9, 1987
United Press International
SYDNEY, Australia -- Tennis champion Martina Navratilova has split with her touring coach, Mike Estep, it was announced Friday.

The pair have been together since the 1983 French Open but have decided to part amicably after an era that has netted Navratilova 25 grand slam titles.

Navratilova is scheduled to arrive in Australia Saturday for the Ford-Australian Open with her new 'practice partner' Randy Crawford, who is the teaching professional at the Ridglay Country Club in Forth Worth, Texas.

Crawford, 29, has been on a friendly basis with the champion for some time. In recent months he has worked with touring pro Gigi Fernandez.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
TURNBULL DISPLAYS A NEW LEASE OF LIFE
ALAN CLARKSON
January 10, 1987
Sydney Morning Herald

The faltering tennis career of Wendy Turnbull took on a new lease of life yesterday when she won a place in the major semi-finals of the Family Circle NSW Women's Open championship for the first time in 17 months.

Although not showing the domineering tactics she displayed in beating top-seeded Hana Mandlikova on Thursday, Turnbull hit some great forehands yesterday to beat Lori McNeil 6-4 7-5.

The win, which gave her a place in the semi-finals of the $223,000 tournament at White City, was the first time since the Eastbourne tournament in 1985 that Turnbull - Australia's top-ranked woman player - had earned a semi-final billing.

Her superior experience surfaced after she held two service breaks in the second set to lead 4-1 only to be confronted by a tougher than expected battle when the scores became deadlocked at 4-4.

"I relaxed a bit because I was going along quite comfortably," she said after the match.

"I made a few more unforced errors and I let her into the game. My experience enabled me to regroup and get that edge back."

Turnbull admitted that she was not as consistent as she used to be and had made more errors on her returns.

"The one thing I have is a bit of a mental edge over some of the players," she said.

"They know I don't give up when I go out there and it is a psychological advantage. That's experience."

Turnbull faces an even tougher opponent today against the in-form Zina Garrison who blasted Helena Sukova off the court yesterday to win 6-3 6-1.

Garrison's form was immaculate. She hit some great passing shots and was quick around the court to give Sukova no chance of getting into the match.

"I thought I was pretty cool," Garrison said. "I feel I am maturing, although last year I did not play as well as I did in 1985. I am trying to put everything together from '85 and '86."

Garrison believes she is at last gaining the experience she should have had earlier in her career when she exploded on to the circuit with a couple of spectacular performances.

"I really did not have a lot of experience but now I think I'm a little bit older and a little bit wiser," she said.

Garrison and Turnbull had a good look at each other's game in an absorbing doubles match later in the day.

It was a considerable boost for Garrison and McNeil to beat Turnbull and Mandlikova 6-2 6-4.

But despite Turnbull's impressive display, the player to beat is obviously Pam Shriver, who outpowered Catarina Lindqvist 6-4 6-2.

Shriver served magnificently against the young Swede who eliminated her from last year's Australian Open.

When Shriver's service works well the rest of her game slots into place and there are not too many players in the world who can match her.

Lindqvist hit some great passing shots to help her break back in the first set when Shriver was serving for the set 5-2.

She held her own service but Shriver pounded down two first-court aces that swung wide to take the set and set up her path to the semi-final.

Shriver is confident about her tennis without being cocky and she has a lot of respect for her opponents.

"I don't take anyone or anything for granted," she said.

"I knew I had to serve well, especially after last year's Australian Open when I had set up and led 3-1 only to lose the match."

Shriver is playing well in the tournament because she is fresh after declining to nominate for the doubles.

She intends restricting the number of doubles tournaments this year because, as she put it, "I have only so many serves left in my right arm."

Asked if she intended to play the mixed doubles in the Australian Open, she replied: "Not unless some real cutey asks me".

Cutting through Shriver's natural infectious humour, she is playing consistently better than at any time in her career.

She jokes a lot about when she had the series of match points against Turnbull in the final of the 1980 NSW Open and lost.

"I feel I am owed one," she retorted.

Her first hurdle will be Manuela Maleeva, the gritty young Bulgarian who fought her way into the semi-finals with a 4-6 6-2 6-2 win over Japan's Etsuko Inoue.

Shriver has beaten Maleeva in their four meetings but she is well aware of the Bulgarian's use of the drop shot and her deadly accurate lob.

In continuing their doubles upset, the young Australian pairing of Jenny Byrne and Janine Thompson scored an outstanding 7-5 7-5 win over top seeds Claudie Kohde-Kilsch and Helena Sukova.

Sukova, who played in the singles and doubles with a pressure bandage on her left leg, was out of touch in the singles and the "disease" spread to Kohde-Kilsch in the doubles.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tennis: Shriver's majesty is rewarded with semi-final placing
The Times
London, England
January 10, 1987

Pam Shriver, whose purple skirt reflects the recent majesty of her tennis, is the only player who was seeded to reach the singles semi-finals of the New South Wales championships, sponsored by Family Circle, and has actually done so. Today's pairings will be Wendy Turnbull v Zina Garrison and Manuela Maleeva v Miss Shriver.

Miss Turnbull, aged 34, has beaten two more highly-ranked players, Hana Mandlikova and Lori McNeil, and has reminded us that since her first tour (in 1972) she has contested 23 singles or doubles finals in grand slam tournaments. She is heavier than she used to be and confesses that she no longer moves as well and is less consistent. 'But experience may have given me a little mental edge over most players,' she said yesterday after a 6-4, 7-5 win over Miss McNeil.

Miss Garrison, like Miss McNeil, is a black product of public parks coaching in Houston. In 1985 she reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon and yesterday she played increasingly well to win 6-3, 6-1 against Helena Sukova who had won their four previous matches. 'I'm getting older and wiser,' Miss Garrison said. 'Today I was pretty cool and tried to pick my shots. She came in a lot on her second serve. The ball was just sitting there and I could hit it where I wanted.'

Miss Maleeva, like Miss Sukova, is short of match play but had a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 win over Enstsuko Inoue of Japan, a neatly competent but lightweight grass court player who had previously put Claudia Kohde-Kilsch out of the running. Miss Shriver, who freely admits that she has hit the most consistently good form of her career, beat Catarina Lindqvist 6-4, 6-2, thus avenging a defeat in the last Australian championships.

The doubles teams seeded to reach the final were both beaten. Jenny Byrne and Janine Thompson had a 7-5, 7-5 win over Miss Kohde-Kilsch and Miss Sukova and Miss Garrison and Miss McNeil beat Miss Mandlikova and Miss Turnbull 6-2, 6-4. Throughout a glorious summer day there were hints that a few celebrities cared less about success in Sydney than they did about their preparation for the forthcoming Australian championships.

This, after all, is the Eastbourne of the Australian season: a charming, comparatively relaxed event in which the women adjust their thinking and their tennis to the imminent challenge of a grand slam tournament on grass. Come to that, the ambiance of the White City is much like that of Eastbourne but without the evergreen oaks and the shrieking gulls - visually more pleasing than the double-decker trains that trundle alongside the White City.

What a startling tonic it has been to exchange wintry West Sussex for summer in Sydney. Yesterday there was relentlessly bright, smouldering heat. The umpires were sheltered by flowery, fringed parasols. The players' shadowed silhouettes, stunted at midday, gradually lengthened. And there is a restfully pervasive greenness about the White City. Even the roofs of the stands are green, the seats aquamarine.

Sydney is a good place to be, anyway. There are lots of Australians in it and the place has as much room for the eccentric as the aesthete. Two long-familiar chums, Sue Barker and John Alexander, are doing television commentaries. And what a joyous accident it is that your cricket and tennis correspondents, who had not met since 1979, are again sharing a table - which would have been far more likely at some pub in Longparish or Midhurst. Some sort of cricket match begins here today but Australians seem reluctant to talk about it.

RESULTS: Quarter-finals: M Maleeva (Bul) bt E Inque (Japan) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2; Z Garrison (US) bt H Sukova (Cz) 6-3, 6-1; W Turnbull (Aus) bt L McNeil (US) 6-4, 7-5; P Shriver (US) bt C Lindqvist (Swe) 6-4, 6-2.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Headline unavailable
January 10, 1987

SYDNEY, Australia -- Zina Garrison and Pam Shriver Saturday surged into the finals of the $150,000 Family Circle New South Wales Women's Open.

Garrison of Houston advanced to her first grass-court final by downing Wendy Turnbull of Australia 6-3, 6-4 in a 66-minute semifinal played in brilliant sunshine before 6,700 fans at White City.

On Sunday she will play Shriver in the finals. Shriver, the No. 2 seed, defeated Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria 6-3, 6-3 despite a heavily bandaged right thigh. Shriver was too strong for Maleeva, who struggled with her opponent's big first serve and volleys.

On Friday, Garrison upset No. 3 seed Helena Sukova 6-3, 6-1 in the semis. She attacked the net often and used a steady serve to win in less than 60 minutes. The victory was Garrison's first over the lanky Czechoslovakian.

"Before I went into this match, I kept saying to myself, 'I can't lose again; she has beaten me so many times,' " Garrison said.

Garrison was extremely businesslike and Sukova was off her game.

"I picked my shots," Garrison said. "She came in a lot on her second serves and gave me plenty of opportunities to pass her."

Turnbull 34, recorded a straight-sets victory over Lori McNeil, also from Houston, to advance to the semis. The tournament is the second of the Australian grass-court women's season.

Shriver of Lutherville, Md., who said she feels "fantastic" about her game, defeated Catarina Lindqvist of Sweden 6-4, 6-2 to make the semifinals. Maleeva qualified for the semis with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 triumph over vastly improved Etsuko Inoue of Japan.

"Over a five-month period, this is the most consistent tennis I have played in my career," Shriver said. "I am very secure but, at the same time, I don't take anything for granted."

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Tennis: Britain's women destined to meet
The Times
London, England
January 10, 1987
From REX BELLAMY

Britain's modest array of players on the women's international circuit seem fated to meet in the early rounds of grand slam championships. Assuming that both justify the world rankings by beating their first round opponents, Sara Gomer and Anne Hobbs will play each other in the second round of the Australian championships, which will begin on Monday in Melbourne.

This sort of thing is familiar. The most recent examples occurred in the last Australian championships, when Miss Gomer was beaten by Jo Durie in the second round, and in the French championships, when Miss Hobbs beat Miss Durie in the first round. In Melbourne, Dianne Balestrat (nee Fromholtz) has been seeded to come through the Gomer-Hobbs section of the draw and Miss Durie, seeded 14th, will supposedly lose to Pam Shriver when the field has been reduced to 16.

The qualifiers are not yet known but Britain's Davis Cup singles players are already in the draw. Jeremy Bates and the sixth seed, Miloslav Mecir, runner-up for the United States championship, have byes in the first round and will meet in the second. Andrew Castle has a first-round match with Bruce Derlin (New Zealand) and the winner could eventually share a court with the ninth seed, Anders Jarryd.

The seedings suggest that the semi-final pairings will be Martina Navratilova v Miss Shriver (a clash far too familiar to Miss Shriver), Helena Sukova v Hana Mandlikova, Ivan Lendl v Yannick Noah and Stefan Edberg v Boris Becker. Slobodan Zivojinovic, who beat John McEnroe in Melbourne last year and reached the Wimbledon semi-finals, may have some brusque questions to ask Becker in the third round. But no match will be more eagerly awaited than that scheduled between Pat Cash and Henri Leconte in the last 16. Leconte beat Cash at Wimbledon.

The most obvious absentees, for a variety of reasons, will be Mats Wilander, Joakim Nystrom, McEnroe, Mikael Pernfors, Chris Lloyd, Steffi Graf and Gabriela Sabatini. Mrs Lloyd, evidently suffering from the wear and tear of 16 years of the international circuit, has been forced to miss a grand slam event for the first time since 1983.

SEEDING: Men: 1, I Lendl (Cz); 2, B Becker (WG); 3, Y Noah (Fr) 4, S Edberg (Swe); 5, H Leconte (Fr); 6, M Mecir (Cz); 7, B Gilbert (US); 8, K Curren (US); 9, A Jarryd (Swe); 10, J Kriek (US); 11, P Cash (Aus); 12, M Srejber (Cz); 13, R Seguso (US); 14, T Wilkison (US), 15, J Hiasek (Switz); 16, R Krishnan (India); Women: 1, M Navratilova (US); 2, H Mandlikova (Cz); 3, P Shriver (US); 4, H Sukova (Cz); 5, C Kohde-Kilsch (WG); 6, M Maleeva (Bul); 7, Z Garrison (US); 8, L McNeil (US); 9, R White (US); 10, C Lindqvist (Swe); 11, W Turnbull (Aus); 12, C Bassett (Can); 13, T Phelps (US); 14, J Durie (GB); 15, D Balestrat (Aus); 16, R Fairbank (SA).

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
EVERT'S ATHLETIC CAREER GOES DOWNHILL . . . SKIING, THAT IS
Sun-Sentinel
January 10, 1987
By JIM SARNI, Tennis Writer

Chris Evert Lloyd has reached new heights in her athletic career.

Aspen.

Evert took to the Colorado mountains last week to go skiing for the first time with her tennis rival and friend Martina Navratilova.

During their recent tour of exhibitions, Navratilova, an avid and accomplished skier, invited Evert to join her at her Aspen townhouse. Despite a serious knee injury that kept her off the courts all fall, Evert had no qualms about tackling the bunny slopes.

''I want to do other things,'' Evert said last month.

''I think the reason Martina has stayed No. 1 is because she has a lot of other interests, like skiing. When she goes back to tennis, she appreciates it more and she's not stale.''

Navratilova, who started skiing as a child before she picked up a tennis racket, had one scary moment when her binding gave out going around a turn.

''For an instant, my life flashed before my eyes,'' said Navratilova, who will defend her Australian Open title next week.

''I made the turn but my ski didn't.''

Navratilova said that Evert did well in her skiing debut. ''Chris is an athlete,'' Navratilova said.

It seems that skiing is just the beginning of Evert's new wide world of sports. When she returns, Evert has plans to take up golf, a favorite hobby of several tennis players, male and female.

Look out, Jan Stephenson.

--

The Lipton International Players Championships ran a print ad recently, depicting the top men and women pros engaged in a tug-of-war for the winning trophy. The women shown are defending champion Chris Evert Lloyd, Martina Navratilova, Hana Mandlikova, Gabriela Sabatini and Pam Shriver. But where is Steffi Graf, last year's runner-up and the No. 3 player in the world?

The MIPTC has approved best-of-five set matches for all rounds in the men's event at the LIPC this year. In the previous two tournaments, the men played best-of-three sets until the quarterfinals.

--

Wimbledon champions Boris Becker and Martina Navratilova plan to team up to play mixed doubles at the French Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open this year.

Navratilova, who played mixed doubles with Heinz Gunthardt in recent years, has been thwarted in her attempts to sweep the singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles at Grand Slam events.

With Becker as her partner, Navratilova becomes a good bet to break Billie Jean King's record of 20 overall Wimbledon titles. Navratilova has 15 titles.

--

The USTA women's winter circuit stops at the Sheraton Royal Biscayne in Key Biscayne, beginning Tuesday. Penny Barg, Ronni Reis and JoAnne Russell are expected to be the top seeds in the $10,000 tournament, the third of four events. More than 100 players have entered the qualifying for the final eight spots, which starts Sunday. . . Palm-Aire in Pompano Beach will host a celebrity event April 3-5 to benefit End World Hunger.

--

Results of a Mediamark Research Inc. survey indicate that American tennis viewers are better educated, better placed in the job market, more successful financially and more conspicuous consumers than the average adult.

The tennis TV viewer is 158 percent more likely to be a college graduate, 139 percent more likely to be a professional, and 145 percent more likely to have a household income of $50,000 and up.

Groups more likely to watch tennis are men, 35-44; persons living in the East; singles; working parents; households with three or more persons; whites; homeowners; heavy cable TV watchers; readers of two or more newspapers; heavy magazine readers; and listeners to radio news and talk shows.

Less likely to watch tennis are women; non-high school graduates; persons ages 55 and older; unemployed; household incomes of $25,000 or less; Southerners; country music listeners; blacks; daytime TV watchers; heavy TV watchers; and listeners to religious radio.

--

Boris Becker has turned down an offer to endorse toilet seats. ''It is important that we align Boris with products and goods that befit his image,'' said Ion Tiriac, Becker's manager. . . New York Woman has designated Yannick Noah as ''the perfect man.'' . . . Bjorn Borg appeared as Peter Pan at a costume party during a tennis tournament in Itaparica, Brazil.

--

Czech tennis players don't have to match Ivan Lendl's earnings to be happy. ''Sixty-thousand dollars a year in the U.S.? It would be something, not much,'' said relative unknown Pavel Slozil, whose biggest claim to fame was reaching the WCT final in Delray Beach a few years ago. ''But with $60,000 in Czechoslovakia, you can live forever.''

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Headline unavailable
January 11, 1987

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Barely a month after he convincingly proved himself the world's top tennis player, Ivan Lendl begins a long campaign under trying circumstances to maintain that position.

Lendl was the No. 1 seed for the Australian Open beginning Monday, and for him this was a personal test of strength since he never has won a Grand Slam championship on grass. After a straight sets victory over Boris Becker to win the Nabisco Masters in New York last month, Lendl said his primary goals for 1987 were to win the Australian and Wimbledon, both played on grass.

To achieve this, Lendl has been in Australia for the last month to practice on grass.

Becker, who has set his own goal of overtaking Lendl this year for the No. 1 ranking, is at his best on grass and at the age of 19 already is a two-time Wimbledon champion. He is seeded second.

Martina Navratilova, like Lendl the reigning U.S. Open champion, is the No. 1 seed among the women. Unlike Lendl, Navratilova is devastating on grass, has won the Australian twice, and will benefit from the absence of Chris Evert Lloyd, who is taking more time off because of an injury.

Hana Mandlikova, who has not been in top form recently, is seeded second behind Navratilova.

All of the 16 seeds in the men's and women's draw received first-round byes.

This will be the last Australian Open to be played on the grass courts of Kooyong. Another surface, still to be determined, will be used in 1988.

Also missing along with Evert Lloyd is John McEnroe, who withdrew a few days ago with a back injury.

The top American seed among the men is No. 7 Brad Gilbert, who is in the same quarter of the draw as Becker. Other seeded Americans are No. 8 Kevin Curren, No. 10 Johan Kriek, No. 13 Robert Seguso and No. 14 Tim Wilkison.

Yannick Noah is the third seed, followed by defending champion Stefan Edberg, Henri Leconte and Miloslav Mecir, the runnerup to Lendl in the U.S. Open.

Curren, who likes to play on grass, is in the same quarter of the draw as Lendl, along with ninth seed Anders Jarryd and No. 16 Ramesh Krishnan. Becker, in addition to Gilbert, has Kriek and No. 15 Jakob Hlasek in his quarter.

Pam Shriver, an upset loser to Zina Garrison in the final of the New South Wales Open on Sunday, is seeded third in the women's singles, followed by Helena Sukova, Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, Manuela Maleeva, Garrison, Lori McNeil, Robin White, Catarina Lindqvist, Wendy Turnbull, Carling Bassett, Terry Phelps, Jo Durie, Dianne Balestrat and Ros Fairbank.

Garrison, Turnbull and Fairbank are in the same quarter of the draw as Navratilova.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The Australian Open says goodbye to Kooyong, to grass, and to byes.

LENDL, NAVRATILOVA NO. 1 SEEDS FOR AUSSIE OPEN
The Seattle Times
January 10, 1987
Associated Press

SYDNEY, Australia -- Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia, the world's top-rated player, will be trying for his first major grass-court title when the $1.6 million Australian Open tennis championships start Monday at Kooyong in Melbourne

Martina Navratilova, the defending champion, is the top seed among the women.

Lendl, 26, was named today as the top male seed in the first Grand Slam event of 1987. He has prepared for the Open by playing doubles in the Adelaide Grand Prix tournament last week and by practicing on the surface in Brisbane this week.

The present U.S. and French Open champion, Lendl never has won Wimbledon or the Australian Open, the two Grand Slam tournaments played on grass.

His major rival for the Australian title is two-time Wimbledon champion Boris Becker of West Germany, the No. 2 seed and the most successful player at this time on the fast surface.

Lendl and Becker head a men's singles field that includes six of the top 10 players in the world.

Yannick Noah of France is the third seed, followed by defending champion Stefan Edberg of Sweden, Frence's Henri Leconte and Miloslav Mecir of Czechoslovakia, Brad Gilbert of the United States and Kevin Curren, also of the U.S.

American John McEnroe and Sweden's Joakim Nystrom, two of the world's top players, withdrew earlier in the week, both citing injuries.

Australian Pat Cash, an outstanding grass-court player who led his country to victory over Sweden in the Davis Cup final at Kooyong last month, is seeded 11th.

All 16 seeds in the men's and women's singles were given first-round byes when the draws were made.

Lendl will meet West German Pat Kuhnen or a qualifier in the second round, while Becker's second-round opponent will be either Australian Broderick Dyke or Argentina's Christian Miniussi.

Navratilova heads the women's field, but faces a weakened draw because Chris Evert Lloyd is injured and West German Steffi Graf has elected to skip the Australian circuit.

Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia is the second seed, followed by American Pam Shriver, Helena Sukova of Czechoslovakia and Claudia Kohde-Kilsch of West Germany, Manuela Maleeva of Bulgaria, Zina Garrison of the U.S. and Lori McNeil, also of the U.S.

Navratilova will face another American, Jamie Golder, in the second round, while Mandlikova will face either New Zealander Julie Richardson or Australian Michelle Turk in her opener.

Kooyong is hosting its final Australian Open. A new multi-million-dollar complex close to the center of Melbourne will be home to the Australian Championships beginning in 1988.

The surface for the new complex has yet to be decided.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Given all the surface dodging that occurred in the WTA at the time, it was easy to assume Steffi was doing the same thing. As would become clear, she was really working on her game. Really. But the "Graf dodges grass!" complaint/allegation would continue for quite a while, setting up one of Shriver's greatest comeuppances ever -- and that's saying something!

LENDL, NAVRATILOVA AMONG FEW STARS AT KOOYONG FAREWELL - ROAD TO THE FINALS - MEN, WOMEN
Sun-Sentinel
January 11, 1987
By JIM SARNI, Staff Writer

The Australian Open says hello again and goodbye.

The Grand Slam tennis tournament returns to its traditional January time period this week after taking 1986 off, but this Australian Open will be the last one played on the grass at Kooyong.

Next January, the Australian Open moves into a brand-new, national tennis complex in Melbourne, where it will be played on an undetermined synthetic surface.

Sentiment only goes so far in pro tennis, however. Ivan Lendl and Martina Navratilova, the best male and female players in the world, have shown up for the farewell party but many of their major rivals will be missing.

Chris Evert Lloyd, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Steffi Graf and Mats Wilander are some of the stars who have stayed home.

Evert, who has been off the tour since the U.S. Open, would rather test her injured knee at the Florida tournaments in February. McEnroe, dedicated to making a comeback after missing half of 1986, was planning to come but he injured his back last week. Connors has not played the Australian Open in years, Graf has a stigma about the Australian grass after breaking her thumb falling on a slick court in 1983 and Wilander is honeymooning following his recent marriage to a South African model.

Several other top players, who are not very fond of grass, such as Kathy Rinaldi, Gabriela Sabatini, Joakim Nystrom and Andres Gomez, are also absent. The men are represented by only nine players from the Top 20; the women by 11 from the Top 20.

Regardless, Lendl and Navratilova are strong favorites after their dominating 1986 seasons.

Lendl won the French and U.S. Opens, losing the Wimbledon final to Boris Becker, who looms as his most serious challenge over the Australian fortnight. Stefan Edberg, who upset Wilander in last year's final, is the defending champion and seeded fourth.

Navratilova won Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, but lost the French Open final to Evert. Hana Mandlikova, who has given Navratilova the most trouble in recent years, is the second seed.

Lendl, who has won the French Open twice on clay and the U.S. Open twice on hardcourt, has yet to win a Grand Slam tournament on grass. But he is getting closer. He reached his first Wimbledon final last year and is determined to win the Australian Open as the first step toward a Grand Slam.

Navratilova has won 10 of her 15 Grand Slam titles on grass -- seven Wimbledons, five in a row, and the Australian Open in 1981, 1983 and 1985. Another odd year, another championship?

''I love the grass and more than that, Australia is an easy circuit,'' said Navratilova, who is playing her first tournament without coach Mike Estep, who departed to pursue other tennis endeavors. Virginia Wade may be Navratilova's new coach.

''By that I mean that everyone is in a good mood and there are plenty of nice diversions,'' Navratilova said.

Of all the Grand Slam tournaments, the Australian Open is considered the most relaxed and informal, a summer picnic in the country.

Navratilova takes a 54-match winning streak into the Australian Open. Helena Sukova ended Navratilova's record 74-match winning streak in the 1984 semifinals in Melbourne.

Jamie Golder of Lauderhill, the only native South Floridian woman in the field, has drawn Navratilova in her first match. Both players have first-round byes in the 96-draw.

Robert Seguso of Boca Raton is the 13th seed and one of three native American seeds along with Brad Gilbert and Tim Wilkison, the lone American to reach the quarterfinals at the 1986 U.S. Open. Seguso, who has been successful on the grass at Wimbledon, is seeded to face Edberg in the round of 16.

ESPN will televise the women's final live, Friday night, Jan. 23 (Saturday afternoon in Australia) and the men's final live, Saturday night, Jan. 24 (Sunday afternoon in Australia).

@C

-- Tournament bracket has been divided into eight columns, 16 players in each with first-round pairings indicated. To follow the tournament, cross off losers until one player remains in each column. Quarterfinals match survivor of first column against survivor of second, survivor of third against survivor of fourth, etc. Four remaining players advance to semifinals.

@C

Ivan Lendl (1)

Bye

Qualifier

Pat Kuhnen

Amos Mansdorf

Bye

Marcel Freeman

Matt Anger

Russell Simpson

Gary Donnelly

Mike DePalmer

Dan Goldie

Eddie Edwards

Bye

Bye

Ramesh Krishnan (16)

Anders Jarryd (9)

Bye

Johan Carlsson

Qualifier

Thierry Champion

Bye

Bruce Derlin

Andrew Castle

Des Tyson

Peter Doohan

Anthony Lane

Bill Scanlon

John Fitzgerald

Bye

Bye

Kevin Curren (8)

Yannick Noah (3)

Bye

Qualifier

Bye

Bud Schultz

Steve Guy

Peter McNamara

Scott Davis

Mark Edmondson

Bye

Huub Van Boeckel

Qualifier

Darren Cahill

Shane Barr

Bye

Tim Wilkison (14)

Pat Cash (11)

Bye

Claudio Pistolesi

Michael Robertson

Ben Testerman

Bye

Michiel Schapers

Jon Levine

Paul Annacone

Tony Mmoh

Qualifier

Bye

Todd Nelson

Grant Connell

Bye

Henri Leconte (5)

Miloslav Mecir (6)

Bye

Jeremy Bates

Bye

Mark Woodforde

Qualifier

Qualifier

Qualifier

Qualifier

Marty Davis

Mark Kratzmann

Jay Lapidus

Qualifier

Bye

Bye

Milan Srejber (12)

Robert Seguso (13)

Bye

Robert Green

Bye

Glenn Michibata

Javier Frana

Simon Youl

Andreas Maurer

John Frawley

Bye

Peter Carlsson

Jason Stoltenberg

Gilad Bloom

Qualifier

Bye

Stefan Edberg (4)

Brad Gilbert (7)

Bye

Brad Drewett

Paul McNamee

Richard Matuszewski

Bye

Nduka Odizor

Derek Rostagno

Leif Shiras

Danie Visser

Brad Pearce

Bye

Kelly Evernden

Jonathan Canter

Bye

Johan Kriek (10)

Jacob Hlasek (15)

Bye

Christo van Rensburg

Leonardo Lavalle

John Sadri

Wally Masur

Kelly Jones

Bye

Qualifier

Slobodan Zivojinovic

Carl Limburger

Bye

Christian Miniussi

Brod Dyke

Bye

Boris Becker (2)

@C

Martina Navratilova (1)

Bye

Jamie Golder

Bye

Claudia Monteiro

Helen Kelesi

Camille Benjamin

Elizabeth Minter

Beverly Bowes

Bye

Rebecca Bryant

Louise Allen

Amanda Dingwall

Janine Thompson

Bye

Ros Fairbank (16)

Wendy Turnbull (11)

Bye

Lisa O'Neil

Jennifer Byrne

Jennifer Mundel

Bye

Cammy MacGregor

Karina Carlsson

Qualifier

Caryn Copeland

Eva Pfaff

Bye

Emiko Okagawa

Qualifier

Bye

Zina Garrison (7)

Pam Shriver (3)

Bye

Alycia Moulton

Claudia Porwick

Elna Reinach

Bye

Louise Field

Barbara Gerken

Ann Henricksson

Regina Marsikova

Judith Polzl

Sharon Walsh-Pete

Vicki Nelson-Dunbar

Bye

Bye

Jo Durie (14)

C. Lindqvist (10)

Bye

Kumiko Okomoto

Ann de Vries

Marie-Christine Calleja

Masako Yanagi

Manon Bollegraf

Bye

Csila Cserepy

Eva Krapl

Alison Scott

Bye

Qualifier

Miriam Schropp

Bye

Manuela Maleeva (6)

C. Kohde-Kilsch (5)

Bye

Nicole Provis

Bye

Qualifier

Christina Singer

Molly Van Nostrand

Tina Mochizuki

Sylvia Hanika

Qualifier

Etsuko Inoue

Dinky van Rensburg

Akiko Kijimuta

Bye

Bye

Terry Phelps (13)

Robin White (9)

Bye

Terry Holladay

Qualifier

Elizabeth Smylie

Bye

Anne Minter

Patricia Hy

Christiane Jolissaint

Bye

Betsy Nagelsen

Lea Antonoplis

Michelle Jaggard

Hu Na

Bye

Helena Sukova (4)

Lori McNeil (8)

Bye

Elise Burgin

Bye

Gigi Fernandez

Sally McCann

Pilar Vasquez

Marianne Werdel

Anna-Maria Fernandez

Anne Hobbs

Sara Gomer

Andrea Betzner

Gretchen Rush

Bye

Bye

Dianne Balestrat (15)

Carling Bassett (12)

Bye

Qualifier

Bye

Michele Bowrey

Wiltrud Probst

Qualifier

Andrea Holikova

Katherine Keil

Bye

Catherine Tanvier

Anne Smith

Michele Turk

Julie Richardson

Bye

Hana Mandlikova (2)

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Tennis : Buss Hopes to Bring Davis Cup Event to Forum
January 11, 1987
Lisa Dillman
Los Angeles Times

You might say that Jeanie Buss' push to bring a Davis Cup event back to Southern California--more specifically to the Forum--is a venture in contingencies.

The key word here is if.

If the United States manages to get past Paraguay in Asuncion this March. If the West Germans can beat a slew of Spanish clay courters, in Spain. If the USTA decides the Los Angeles market would embrace the event with enthusiasm.

Besides that last contingency, there are other financial concerns to consider. Since last August, Buss has been having conversations about the event with Louisiana Pacific's Brian Parrott, who was the director of staging for the Davis Cup.

Then, the USTA cut its ties with the company and decided to handle the staging duties by itself. At this point, it is unknown how the financial aspects will be handled.

"I would do anything to get the Davis Cup here," said Buss, the president of Forum Tennis. "And my dad (Jerry) is excited about it, too. Now we have to see if we can convince the USTA."

Buss said that the USTA is worried about the Los Angeles area being a "fickle tennis market." That belief is based on the sparse turnout at the tennis events during the 1984 Olympics, according to Buss.

"They don't want to be embarrassed," she said of the USTA. "And they wouldn't not want to have a sellout. (Obtaining the Davis Cup) would be a real challenge."

But the Davis Cup and the tennis exhibitions during the Olympics are entirely different entities. Tennis was a non-medal event in 1984, and the winners, Stefan Edberg and Steffi Graf, were largely unknown at that time.

One would think that a Davis Cup match between the United States and West Germany would fill the place. John McEnroe against Boris Becker in the deciding match?

"A promoter's dream," said Buss.

If it comes off.

When McEnroe was forced to withdraw from this week's Australian Open because of a back injury, it probably didn't come as a surprise to folks at the Forum. After all, McEnroe is scheduled to play there against Edberg Jan. 26.

Call it the Forum curse.

Almost from Day 1, the Michelin Challenge Series has been beset by mishaps. Often, the advertised card never comes off because of a last-minute injury. But there is hope for McEnroe as the match still is a couple of weeks away.

"He hasn't said anything about not playing," said Buss.

And, what if he can't play?

"I'd kill myself," Buss said, laughing.

Finally, it looks as if the Australian Open should gain a measure of stability. Instead of ending the long, long tennis season, it will kick off the long, long tennis season.

So, who has the best chance of winning it all at Melbourne's Kooyong Stadium?

The women's title: Martina Navvratilova, hands down. A possible dark horse, if Navratilova should falter, is Helena Sukova.

The men's title: Despite a first-round loss last year, Boris Becker has to be favored on a grass court anywhere . Pat Cash, who single-handedly led the Aussies to a Davis Cup title over Sweden, could be a factor.

Stats, stats and more stats: Yes, even tennis can get overloaded with statistics on occasion. But here are some of the more notable ones of 1986, courtesy of the Association of Tennis Professionals.

Did you know that Ivan Lendl won 76% of his matches in straight sets last year? Or, that Brad Gilbert, 4-0; McEnroe, 3-0, and Ramesh Krishnan, 2-0, had the best records in tournament finals? And, in a true test of knowledge, what was the longest match, in number of games, in 1986?

Seventy-seven games. Paul Annacone and Ken Flach defeated Cash and John Fitzgerald in Davis Cup competition last fall. That match lasted 4 hours 56 minutes.

Just call it Trivial Pursuit, tennis style.

Tennis Notes

In the preseason women's collegiate poll, four California teams are among the top 10. Stanford, which won the NCAA title in 1986, is No. 1. Last year's runner-up, USC, is tied with Miami for second. The three other teams are California, No. 5; San Diego State, No. 8, and UCLA, No. 9. Although Monique Javer of San Diego State is the top-rated individual, that will likely change because she lost in the first round of the National Collegiate tournament last weekend at Cathedral City. NCCA champion Patty Fendick of Stanford is ranked fourth. During last weekend's tournament, Fendick defeated second-ranked Caroline Kuhlman of USC in the semifinals, and beat her own teammate, freshman Lisa Green, in the title match.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
FAULKNER: A GREAT TEACHER, MOTIVATOR
NAVRATILOVA SPLITS WITH COACH, TAKES HOLIDAY SPILL ON THE SLOPES

The Orlando Sentinel
January 11, 1987
By Melissa Isaacson of the Sentinel Staff

Next to Harry Hopmann, perhaps the greatest name among American tennis coaches is Edwin Faulkner. For more than 50 years the soft-spoken, kind-hearted gentleman from Winter Park gave himself to the game.

And the game profited.

Faulkner, once the fifth-ranked player in the world, was one of seven who founded the Professional Tennis Association in 1927. He also was the United States and French Davis Cup coach in the '20s and coached such greats as Arthur Ashe, Frenchman Rene Lacoste, Jack Kramer, Chuck McKinley and Vic Seixas.

For 41 years he was the men's tennis coach at Swarthmore (Pa.) College, and he authored one of the most respected books on the sport, Tennis: How to Play it, How to Teach It.

For the past several years Faulkner's presence has graced the campus of Rollins College, where he offered his knowledge and experience to the men and women of the tennis teams. Sometimes in a walker or wheelchair, always with a smile, Faulkner, the consummate tactician, encouraged and motivated his pupils.

He died Friday morning at the age of 86.

Ashe, reached in New York, was saddened by Faulkner's death. ''He was the coach of the team I was on in '64, and I have very fond memories of Ed,'' said Ashe, who wrote the introduction to his book. ''He was both a friend and a coach to every member of the team.''

Faulkner once said he first decided to become a tennis coach at age 7 and actually accepted his first coaching job at 15 at a resort in the Catskills. To earn pocket money he barnstormed the elite tennis clubs, staging exhibition matches by challenging the top player at the club.

One of these exhibitions matched him against a protege of Bill Tilden -- already considered one of the game's greats -- who Tilden considered unbeatable. Faulkner won, and Tilden asked him to become a teaching pro at the Germantown Cricket Club, considered one of the top jobs in the country at the time. Four years later Faulkner was the American Davis Cup coach.

Faulkner retired from active coaching in 1970 and began spending winters in Winter Park. But he could not stay away from the game and immediately was drawn to Rollins. He also began spending several hours a week on courts in Eatonville, where he would give free lessons to kids who could not afford them.

In 1978 the Faulkners settled in Winter Park, just a few blocks from Rollins' tennis courts, and until last month he could still be seen at courtside, sitting under a big elm tree, dispensing advice.

''Sick as he was, he never complained,'' said Rollins men's coach Norm Copeland. ''He was one of our guiding lights. He helped me an awful lot. Everyone liked him. He was one of the greatest tacticians and motivators tennis has ever known.''

Ginny Mack, who retired as Rollins' women's coach after the '86 season and now lives in Melbourne, called him ''the greatest tennis teacher to ever live.''

''His mind was amazing, so sharp,'' she said. ''The kids respected him a great deal, and he helped me a great deal. When I needed a great pep talk, I'd get him out there, and he would talk to them. If I had any trouble, if I couldn't figure out what was happening with someone's serve, he would straighten them out in no time at all.

''He didn't pull any punches. He'd say, 'If you can make a shot 80 times in practice, there's no reason you can't do it in a match.' He built confidence by helping them understand that. I learned a great deal from that man. He really was an inspiration to me.''

Faulkner is survived by his wife Josephine and children Jerry Townsend of Tampa and Joan Weesner of Morristown, Tenn. There will be a memorial service at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Knowles Memorial Chapel on the Rollins campus.

Martina Navratilova has announced that she will no longer be working with Mike Estep, her coach of the past 3 1/2 years.

Apparently Estep had tired of the travel. Both said the split was amicable. Since Estep, a former men's tour player, began coaching Navratilova, she has won 10 Grand Slam singles titles, including six in a row, four mixed doubles titles and 12 women's doubles crowns at the French, U.S. and Australian opens and Wimbledon.

Other Navratilova news concerned a spill she took while skiing in Aspen over the holidays. Reportedly, a faulty binding released as she was skiing down one of the steeper slopes and she continued down the hill on one ski.

''I wouldn't call it a major disaster,'' said Peggy Gossett of the Women's International Tennis Association, ''but she said it did put a scare into her. She said her life passed in front of her eyes.''

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So sad on a few levels. Like, couldn't the USTA have given participating schools an EVEN number of rackets, preferably a multiple of four?

BREVARD LATEST TO WELCOME USTA CLINICS
24 COUNTIES TEACH ELEMENTARY TENNIS

The Orlando Sentinel
January 11, 1987
By Cheryl Gordon of the Sentinel Staff

Name a famous woman tennis player other than Martina Navratilova or Chris Evert Lloyd and you too could receive an official USTA wristband for your efforts.

That is if you're in the right place at the right time, and Barbara Braunstein is giving one of her highly informative tennis clinics.

Minutes passed before one of the youngsters from the joint session of Columbia and Turner Elementary schools offered Kathy Rinaldi's name in answer to the above query. And the reward, you guessed it, an official USTA wristband.

You know Rinaldi, the one in those potato chip commercials.

The youths of the two Palm Bay elementary schools were enlightened even more about the players and the game of tennis earlier this week when Braunstein gave one of her motivational clinics. Braunstein is the USTA's Florida Tennis Association Schools Program director.

In the short time she has been giving these hands-on clinics, 23 counties have incorporated the Schools Program into their physical education system. Brevard will be number 24, when tennis is taught at 15 elementary and middle schools this spring.

The USTA is rewarding participating schools with information, 15 rackets, 100 tennis balls and all the encouragement they need to get started, for showing an interest in promoting the sport.

Braunstein already broke in the teachers at a clinic earlier this month. She taught them how to teach tennis to large groups on primitive facilities, such as parking lots and basketball courts. She gave a similar demonstration, to introduce some of Brevard's youngsters to the game earlier this week.

The clinics are old hat for her and very entertaining for the troops. She gave 130 clinics last year. That's 130 clinics and 12 wristbands for answering the questions, at each . . . . you count it up.

There are 750 schools participating in the program. The USTA got involved locally because of the interests of Columbia teacher Valerie Harville and Mike Dickens, City of Melbourne director of tennis.

Harville had seen one of Braunstein's clinics at a convention a year ago and Dickens decided, independently, to investigate what the USTA could do for his area's youth programs at the same time.

''Tennis is a lifetime sport,'' said Harville, who has been playing for 16 of her 40 years. ''I wanted to see the kids start early on a skill they could work at for the rest of their lives.''

Braunstein and a corps of 17 instructors, trained nationwide, have given one million students the opportunity to try tennis before the high school level. And in most cases, the program doesn't stop at the elementary level.

With the cooperation of local tennis pros -- like Dickens, and Ken Ouelette, at Outback Tennis and Racquetball Club in the north part of the county -- the community program also expands. Braunstein also works with local recreation programs to expand and improve facilities, by setting up other programs.

''A community only can benefit from young people's interest in the game,'' Braunstein said. ''Now, how many of you can tell me what the shot is called that you use to return a serve?''

If you answer correctly, you may win an official USTA wristband.

Suntree Country Club will be the site of a singles clay court championship, Jan. 17-18, for men and women players in over-35 and over-45 divisions. The tournament will be held on the facility's four courts and entry fee is $15 per person. Tennis balls will be provided. For more information call the pro shop at 242-6242.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So many openings, so little time...

ASPEN AND NAVRATILOVA COURTSHIP MUSHROOMS
The Seattle Times
January 11, 1987
JOHN MCGRATH, DENVER POST

ASPEN, Colo. -- She fell in love, she says, with the snow, the air, the mountains, the ski slopes, the people and the mushrooms.

But there's another reason why Martina Navratilova, who'll soon change her home address from Texas to Colorado, has pronounced Aspen her long-lost Czech mate.

''I travel with my dogs and my cat,'' Navratilova was explaining at a press conference Tuesday, ''and moving them is awfully hard, especially when you've got to switch planes in Denver.''

Aspen, which this week is playing home to Sally Field, Don Johnson, Ethel Kennedy, Jack Nicholson, Bruce Willis and several other of the world's greatest skiers, nevertheless proudly beamed at the announcement: Tennis star Martina Navratilova is now going to be known as the touring professional of The Aspen Club, where she has periodically trained since 1981.

''And I'm counting the days,'' Martina said, ''until I'll be living here 100 percent of the time. There are a lot of different reasons why I want to live here, but a lot of it has to do with training. You're much more effective down at sea level after you've trained up here. Because of the altitude, you can get a workout here just by relaxing.''

The coup has a flip side, which only the most cynical, dervish mind would point out: Navratilova is moving here from Fort Worth.

Fort Worth is hot and humid, with a distressingly low Beautiful People quotient. Worst of all, Fort Worth doesn't have mushrooms to pick.

''She started crying when she saw that we have the same mushrooms here that she grew up with in Czechoslovakia,'' Aspen Club owner Dick Butera said a few minutes after Navratilova left.

Martina cried? The same exquisitely overpowering athlete, whose glare has been known to dissect the souls of opponents, cried at the sight of an ugly old mushroom?

''I love to pick them in the summer,'' she said. ''I've turned into a regular flower child.''

A figurative flower child, that is. Navratilova, hopes Butera, will help re-establish Aspen as a capital of fitness and well-being, while simultaneously serving to expunge its jet-setters-are-doing-drugs reputation.

The fast lane in Aspen, Butera predicts, will soon be the domain of joggers and squash players and skiers and tennis players. Sports cars may forever be the automobile of choice here, but the emphasis, note, is on sports.

To that end, Navratilova was joined Tuesday by fellow tennis star Chris Evert Lloyd, and auto racer Danny Sullivan, the 1985 Indianapolis 500 champ, and Nils Van Patten, who's supposed to be somebody, I think. One thing is certain: Nils will never appear as a forlorn bald man in a Hair Creations advertisement; he has enough bronze hair to last him into the next millennium.

Anyway, they appeared appropriately fit denizens of Aspen, with Martina the fittest figurehead.

''I'm not just a mere figurehead,'' she corrected. ''I will give tips when I'm here, and maybe some clinics. I'll try to attract attention to this club. 'Martina Navratilova, of the Aspen Club.' That's the idea. That's what I'm here for.

''People will see me working out around town, and I'll be able to answer their questions.''

Navratilova will be paid $30,000 annually for calling herself the touring pro of The Aspen Club. But then, the money's not the issue; restoring Aspen's reputation is.

''When I first came here four years ago,'' said Butera, ''it seemed like the emphasis was on Aspen being known for craziness and drugs. That's changing. Martina coming here is almost a symbolic act of ridding the community of these kinds of negatives -- and adding some more excitement to the fitness-development aspect of the Aspen community.''

Suzi Chaffee, the former Olympic skiing star, walked in late to the press conference, adorned in a knee-length fur. She, too, had some thoughts about Aspen's reputation, as Chrissie and Nils and Danny and Martina scurried off downstairs for another round of tennis.

''There was a time,'' Chaffee said, ''when I didn't even want to come here, quite frankly. It's almost like this place was brain dead. Now it's changing, it's getting clean. There are some good, straight influences now.

''It's very 'in' to be natural, to be straight, to look good. I really think the contest is now: Who looks the best, at what age? That's what the competition is. If you look like hell, if your glamour's gone, then you've lost.

''Face it: This is a town where looks is going to make a big difference. And you have to be clean and wholesome looking to do that.''

Suzi left; the crowd that had crowded in front of Martina had dwindled. Just then a clean and wholesome type, drenched in sweat, asked his racquetball partner, ''can I get you anything to drink.''

''Please,'' replied the partner. ''I'd love some tea.''

Of course: The Aspen evening was young, and facial preservation here is a 24-hour commitment. Tea is in. Looking like hell is out.

And if by chance you pick up a mushroom, it's OK to cry. The flower children would understand.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
ZINA BOUNDS BACK TO WORK
Alan Clarkson
January 12, 1987
Sydney Morning Herald

Zina Garrison was back on the practice court an hour after she won the $230,000 Family Circle NSW Open tennis championship at White City yesterday to make sure she did not feel "satisfied" with her straight sets victory.

Maintaining the consistent form she has displayed during the tournament, the sixth-seeded Garrison scored a thoroughly deserved 6-2 6-4 win over the favourite, Pam Shriver.

Garrison's coach, John Wilkerson, who has guided her tennis destiny since 1975 when she came to a public court in Houston, Texas, at the suggestion of her brother, refused to let her rest on her laurels.

"We are getting ready for Kooyong," Wilkerson said.

He was not downgrading yesterday's outstanding win but he put it into perspective, with the Ford Australian Open, which starts at Kooyong today, as the main target.

Wilkerson said the NSW Open was a tune-up for the Australian Open. To keep Garrison's mind on the prime objective he had her out working on the areas of the game he felt she needed attention.

It was the same on Friday and Saturday. On Friday Garrison and her doubles partner, Lori McNeil, worked so late they had to get a security guard to open the locker room so they could change.

On Saturday Garrison played singles and doubles and then she was back on the practice court for more than an hour.

The coach and player partnership began in 1975 when Garrison's brother, who went to school with Wilkerson, asked him to see if his sister had any potential as a tennis player.

"She was good at sports like baseball and football but he felt she had some chance as a tennis player," Wilkerson recalled.

"She came down to the court where I was teaching and she just sat there.

"A few hours later I noticed this kid was still there and I went over and introduced myself.

"When she started hitting I knew she had potential but I did not realise how far she could go."

Garrison, after her semi-final win over Wendy Turnbull, spoke of the role Wilkerson played in her recovery after what she termed a "horror" year in 1986.

"He beat up on me," she said with a smile.

But Wilkerson played down his role.

"There is a lot of pressure on tennis players, but particularly on black tennis players," he said.

"She felt a lot of pressure - black pressure - and for a while she ran away from it.

"If a white player is beaten there are a lot more white players still in the tournament.

"But when a black player is beaten there are not too many left.

"She was losing to players well below her ranking and that was devastating

"But she did not give in and the only one who could come through was Zina herself."

Garrison has won finals before but none as satisfying as yesterday's.

She played some great tennis, hitting her ground strokes with precision.

Saturday's late practice had concentrated on her serve and backhand.

"I hardly hit a backhand back into play," she said.

But yesterday, when it mattered, she produced some glorious backhands, including one to break back in the eighth game of the second set and two to break again in the 10th game.

But there is a lot more to this outstanding tennis player than a couple of fine backhands.

She has obviously toiled on her game and worked to hone her tennis assets to razor sharpness. She is still not satisfied.

Anyone who is back on the court willingly at practice an hour after winning a tournament which earned her $60,000 in prize money deserves success.

Shriver, to her credit, did not offer her strained hamstring as an excuse.

She blamed herself more than the injury, but at the same time gave credit to Garrison's commanding play.

As far as Shriver was concerned the turning point of the match was in the eighth game of the second set when she led 4-3 on service.

Shriver had four game points but could not clinch one.

"You have to hold service," Shriver said after the match.

She was disappointed. It was the second time she had a chance of winning the NSW Open and it had slipped through her fingers.

It was the second time in a week she had been beaten in finals but yesterday's loss was a body blow.

She was content with her performance in losing in three sets to Hana Mandlikova in the Queensland Open, but yesterday she felt she was back to the bad old days of Pam Shriver.

"I'm hacked off," she said, but she feels it will make her more eager for the Australian Open.

While she was being a good sport about it, the hamstring injury did worry her and it was obvious that after she stripped a couple of layers of protective bandages her play improved.

But nothing could detract from Garrison's performance. She played some superb tennis and despite being in Martina Navratilova's section of the draw she will cause some problems in the Open.

Liz Smylie and Betsy Nagelsen were too experienced for Jenny Byrne and Janine Thompson in the doubles final.

Smylie, who was in brilliant form, and Nagelsen had two close sets but stormed through the deciding set to win 6-7 (7-5) 7-5 6-1.

Family Circle has increased its commitment for next year's NSW Open to$300,000.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Tennis: Garrison's victory celebrates the end of a great era
The Times
London, England
January 12, 1987

The last Australian championships to be played on grass will begin today in Melbourne. A year hence, three traditions will die. A synthetic surface will be installed at a national tennis centre now under construction, Flinders Park will replace Kooyong on the calendar, and Wimbledon will become the only grand slam event played on grass - surface the United States championships discarded after 1974.

In order to bring coherence to the international segment of the Australian season, other state capitals will have to follow Melbourne's example when the new surface - still a hotly debated subject - is decided in March. The end of a great era in Australian tennis was on everyone's mind when the New South Wales women's championships, the last on grass, ended here yesterday. Ultimately, there were two other unusual aspects to the last day.

Zina Garrison became the only black player other than Althea Gibson (in 1956) to win the singles title: and the final was contested by two players born in the United States. Throughout 1986, that happened in only three tournaments of comparable status. Sydney provided a hint that Americans - the women, anyway - may offer stiffening resistance to what has recently become a European take-over.

In her last three matches Miss Garrison disposed of the formidable trio of Helena Sukova, Wendy Turnbull and Pam Shriver, who was beaten 6-2, 6-4 in yesterday's final. Miss Garrison won all her five matches in straight sets. At the age of 23 she won her first big tournament for 15 months and showed a maturing ability to consolidate an early advance (Australian and Wimbledon semi-finals) that was a little too fast for her own good.

Miss Garrison does not talk about it, in public anyway, but she is carrying a flag first raised by Miss Gibson. Black players are a minority in tennis and Miss Garrison, the best of them, has felt the weight of expectation resting upon her since she emerged from the public parks of Houston and swiftly made her mark on the international scene. The US as a whole and the black community in particular can find cause for satisfaction in what was basically a personal triumph.

Honesty forces me to hurt the feelings of readers on the other side of the sun. This was a delightful summer weekend: all warmth and colour. Ice cream salesmen wandered about the stands, which were densely populated by spectators dressed for a day out in the sunshine - which is to say that they wore big hats and, in many cases, not a great deal else. The umpire's chair was equipped with a pretty sunshade. The players' shirts were soon darkened by sweat and the birds were too drowsy to sing.

In Saturday's semi-finals Miss Garrison was too good for Miss Turnbull, aged 34, who was jaded after a heavy programme of singles and doubles, and Miss Shriver briskly dealt with Manuela Maleeva. Miss Shriver, though, was slightly concerned about a twinge of hamstring trouble. It inhibited her practice and training rather than her match-play, but it was always on her mind.

Yesterday Miss Shriver eventually discarded the protective 'lagging' on her right thigh, with which she began the match. She was having no physical problems, so the support was just an irritating reminder that something might be wrong. Her only genuine problem was Miss Garrison, who made all the right moves and played so well that she made the improbable look easy.

Miss Garrison's backhand passing shots were especially good and her service games were so secure that Miss Shriver did not take her to deuce until the 11th game and did not have a break point until the 13th. By that time Miss Shriver had cast off her bandages and was playing increasingly well. In the second set she had four points for a 5-3 lead, on her own service, but could not win any of them.

It was as if both players knew that this was Miss Garrison's day, not Miss Shriver's. After the match Miss Garrison went out to practice for an hour. Her coach, aware of the imminently tougher challenge of Melbourne, insisted that she went back to work.

The Australian public - wiser than spectators in Paris or New York - are enthusiastic about doubles. In yesterday's final Betsy Nagelsen (Mrs Mark McCormack) was the only intruder in an otherwise Australian cast. Mrs McCormack, who still plays under her maiden name, and Elizabeth Smylie (nee Sayers) beat Jenny Byrne and Janine Thompson, both aged 19, by 6-7, 7-5, 6-1. Even on a tennis court, wives tend to be wiser than teenage spinsters.

RESULTS: Singles: Semi-finals: Z Garrison (US) bt W Turnbull (Aus) 6-3, 6-4; P Shriver (US) bt M Maleeva (Bul) 6-3, 6-3.

Final: Garrison bt Shriver 6-2, 6-4.

Doubles Final: E Smylie (Aus) and B Nagelsen (US) bt J Byrne (Aus) and J Thompson (Aus) 6-7, 7-5, 6-1.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Tennis Roundup : Garrison Upsets Shriver and Wins Tournament
January 11, 1987
Los Angeles Times
From Times Wire Services

Zina Garrison of Houston pounded out a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Pam Shriver today to win the $150,000 New South Wales Open women's tennis championship at Sydney, Australia.

The sixth-seeded Garrison returned superbly to negate Shriver's big serve, punched her groundstrokes on both the forehand and backhand sides, and volleyed excellently.

The 23-year-old Garrison collected $26,000 in winning her first major tournament in more than a year, while Shriver earned $13,000.

Shriver, seeded second, was hampered by an injured hamstring in her right leg and was completely outclassed by her aggressive and mobile opponent.

It was Shriver's second successive loss in a final. She was beaten by Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia in last week's Brisbane title match.

The lanky Lutherville, Md., right-hander also suffered her second loss in the final of a New South Wales event. She was beaten by Wendy Turnbull of Australia in the final in 1980 after holding six match points.

"Zina played three of the finest matches this week I've seen her play," Shriver said. "I was outplayed, and she deserved to win."

Garrison took just 68 minutes to wrap up the Virginia Slims Series grass-court final, the last lead-up event to the Australian Open, which begins Monday at Kooyong in Melbourne.

"I used the shots I had and worked with my strengths," Garrison said. "This is the best win of my career on grass, a surface on which you have to be really athletic."

Shriver still has a 3-2 career edge over Garrison.

Garrison broke Shriver's serve in the second and eighth games of the first set, the initial break coming when Shriver double-faulted.

Shriver's shots seemed poorly measured, while Garrison kept her at full stretch, moving her around the court. And when Shriver did come to the net, Garrison frequently passed her.

Shriver rallied briefly in the second set to lead 4-2. But Garrison reeled off four straight games to close out the match.

"I missed silly volleys at 4-3," Shriver said. "My leg wasn't really a factor, but I can't work out where my zip went.

"She was aggressive and solid off the ground, but I had a breakthrough and let her back into it."

[]

At Adelaide, Australia, West Germany's Boris Becker outlasted France's Henri Leconte, 6-4, 6-4, to win the Rio International Tennis Challenge.

With temperatures in the low 90s, Becker used his booming serve to win the first set, but had a tougher time in the second set because of the heat before beating Leconte for the fourth time in four career meetings.

41 - 60 of 686 Posts