Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't ya just hate it when the umpire won't listen to BOTH players?

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Date: MON 04/08/1985
Section: Sports
Page: 5
Edition: NO STAR

Evert Lloyd rips Mandlikova, adds to streak on Florida clay

Houston Chronicle News Services

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - Chris Evert Lloyd dominated Hana Mandlikova 6-3, 6-3 and maintained her winning record on Florida clay courts to end the $275,000 Ford Challenge Cup.

Evert Lloyd received a $100,000 first-prize check and a new car Sunday for winning two matches in a total of only 145 minutes.

She hit to the baseline at match point in the final game but the linesman called the ball out, deucing the score instead of ending the match.

Mandlikova, who won a $50,000 second-place prize, refused to accept the call, saying the ball was good.

"I had to go with the linesman's call," said chair umpire Stu Tadlock. "It was too close. But when Lloyd agreed with Hana and then suggested to replay the point, I felt it was the only fair thing to do."

On the replay, Mandlikova missed a back-hand volley and Evert Lloyd took her 134th tournament career victory, improving her clay-court record in Florida to 86-1.

Evert Lloyd is now unbeaten in four events at the PGA National Resort, where the Challenge Cup was held.

"It was good sportsmanship by Hana on the call and I agreed with her," she said. "I could see the ball hit the line. Other players would have taken the call."

Evert Lloyd, who beat Carling Bassett of Canada 6-2, 6-1 in 75 minutes Saturday and stopped Mandlikova in 70 minutes, dropped just nine games in earning the big check.

"It's good pay for two matches," she said. "I've played seven days and some long matches for that money. But I won't analyze it. I might feel guilty."

Playing for third place in the tournament, Bassett defeated Pam Shriver of Lutherville, Md., 6-2, 7-5. Bassett received $25,000 and Shriver $15,000.

http://archives.chron.com/chronicle/search.do

1 - 1 of 1 Posts