Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
30 years ago. Lets dig up some videos from 1984 and take a trip backi n time.

Below: Navratilova d. Evert 6-3 7-5 6-1 for the Slims Championships in New York.

I vividly recall watching this in a new apartment on a small TV set. Evert had just switched away from wood.

At the time the POWER of both women drew gasps from the crowd. Just a week or so earlier they had duked it out at the US Indoors.

Viewed now the power aspect looks tame compared to 2014 bang-bang tennis.

But consider the tactics, varied style, and sheer shotmaking-and this final sparkles.

Enjoy and leave comments!

P.S. The point at 2.00 is to die for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9OwrATspg

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Awesome match. It was the first time I saw Chris's new hair and playing with a graphite racquet. HEAVEN.

I thought the match was of a very high quality, and would place it in the top 10 matches that they played, even though Martina won in straight sets.

I had high hopes for the French Open final based on this, but Martina was probably the best I ever saw her play for that final.

Still I consider this VSC final a major step in the right direction for Chris in her quest to beat Martina.

By all accounts, the match of the year was the Oakland Final, where Hana beat Martina- too bad it was never broadcast.....

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome match. It was the first time I saw Chris's new hair and playing with a graphite racquet. HEAVEN.

I thought the match was of a very high quality, and would place it in the top 10 matches that they played, even though Martina won in straight sets.

I had high hopes for the French Open final based on this, but Martina was probably the best I ever saw her play for that final.

Still I consider this VSC final a major step in the right direction for Chris in her quest to beat Martina.

By all accounts, the match of the year was the Oakland final, where Hana beat Martina- too bad it was never broadcast.....
Sorry I Didn't reply sooner BCP-the results section keeps me hopping these days!

I agree on all counts except one: While Chris was still smokin hot in 1984 my favorite Chris year was 1983-i loved the straight hair with the braided headband. Add in the pom-pom cheerleader socks and I am in heaven;)

Martina was just spectacular in the French final. All credit to her there and, in retrospect, very important to her legacy IMO in that it gave her 2 of every slam.

Cheers!

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't find the 1984 French final--a pity for Navratilova fans.

Here was the best Martina-Chris match in 1984-the US Open final. The rivalty was back on again. Yes Martina won, but this match really was a turning point in what was threatening to become a one-sided affiar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nmOJYgJ4Vg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts