Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Colgate Series, officially ending the 1979 season, actually took place in January 1980. 3 women claimed #1 coming into the Colgate-at the end it was Navratilova who was #1 in the eyes of everyone. For the ex-Czech it was a relief, as many pundits disputed her 1978 #1 ranking.

COLGATE SERIES CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dates: January 2-7
Venue: The Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland, US
Surface: Indoors on Sporteze Carpet

Prize money= $250,000

*Note: Though contested in 1980 this event ended the 1979 season.

Singles (Draw=8)

Red Group (Round Robin-Double Elimination)

RR: Tracy Austin d. Wendy Turnbull (Aus) 6-1 6-0
RR: Chris Evert-Lloyd d. Dianne Fromholtz (Aus) 6-1 6-4
RR: Tracy Austin d. Chris Evert-Lloyd 6-1 6-3
RR: Wendy Turnbull (Aus) d. Dianne Fromholtz (Aus) 4-6 6-1 6-4

[Austin advances to semis with 2-0 record. Fromholtz eliminated; Evert-Lloyd and Turnbull in Playoff round]

Blue Group (Round Robin-Double elimination)

RR: Martina Navratilova d. Kerry Reid (Aus) 6-3 6-0
RR: Evonne Goolagong (Aus) d. Regina Marsikova (Cz) 6-1 6-1
RR: Martina Navratilova d. Evonne Goolagong (Aus) 6-3 6-2
RR: Regina Marsikova (Cz) d. Kerry Reid (Aus) default (tendonitus)

[Navratilova advances to semis with 2-0 record. Reid eliminated; Goolagong and Marsikova in Playoff round]

Play-offs

RR: Evert-Lloyd d Marsikova 6-3 6-0
RR: Turnbull d Goolagong default (Sprained finger)

Semifinals

Austin d Evert-Lloyd 6-3 6-0
Navratilova d Turnbull 6-2 6-0

Final

Martina Navratilova d Tracy Austin 6-2 6-1

3rd place: Evert d Turnbull 6-1 6-1
5th place: Marsikova d Goolagong default
7th place: Fromholtz d Reid default

Doubles (Draw=4)

1st Round

Billie Jean King/Martina Navratilova d Ilana Kloss/Bettyann Stuart 6-3 6-2
Rosie Casals/Chris Evert-Lloyd d Betty Stove/Wendy Turnbull 6-2 6-2

Final

Billie Jean King/Martina Navratilova d Rosie Casals/Chris Evert-Lloyd 6-4 6-3

Summary

Despite the date this event really wrapped up 1979 in nice bow, deciding the burning issue of who was "the real #1" for the year: Navratilova, Evert, or Austin.

The event was beset with numerous issues. Most matches were utterly one-sided, especially for an event featuring all top-tenners. Of 11 matches played only 1 went to 3 sets. Other problems were defaults by Reid and Goolagong, a major snow storm, and a convoluted format.

Navratilova plowed throw the field and cemented her first consensus #1 year end ranking with a dominant performance. Only 13 games went against her in 4 matches. Her play was so close to perfection in the final that she drew gasps of amazement from the crowd. Even half-volleys off her shoelaces dropped over for winners. Afterwards Tracy confessed that "Martina's never played better."

Lannsdorp, Austin's coach: "She [Martina] played devastating."

Navratilova. "I hope this puts aside all doubts as to who is the #1 player." It certainly did. Tracy had high hopes coming in, winning her previous 4 matches vs Martina. In 48 minutes all her dreams of ending #1 went up in smoke.

The confusing double elimination format led to Tracy Austin playing Chris Evert twice. First Tracy drubbed Chris in the Round Robin before 9,100. Austin played the villain, ignoring the crowds cheers for Evert.

After gaining the semis in a playoff match opponents were determined by a coin flip. Evert won her playoff and drew Tracy again for what some writers dub a "looking glass" match. Austin said she had a "premonition" she would face Evert again. Did tell you you would win?, reporters asked. "I don't have those kind of premonitions" she shot back with a smile.

9,800 came for the semis despite a huge snowstorm delaying matches until 3 PM. Chris stayed with Tracy until 3-3. "That stupid forehand", Chris muttered when she sent a forehand long for 3-3. She never got another game. Even shouts of "Wake up!" and "THAT's the Chris Evert I know" from fans couldn't reverse the tide. Evert: "she just got better and better." Austin: "Maybe people will believe I can beat her now." Tracy was also peeved by the USTA ranking Chris above her at #2 in the national rankings. "In the public's mind, Chris is still #1. I guess I'll have to keep doing this [beating her] over and over again."

Navratilova on Austin: "Tracy was never sweet, not even when she was 14." "She was always tough."

Evonne Goolagong withdrew due to badly sprained finger. She stumbled and fell on her hand vs Navratilova in the third game of 6-3 6-2 defeat. Evonne played on wearing bandages as blood seeped out her finger. X-Rays after the match indicated no bones were broken, but her hand was scratched up on the carpet. Parrafin treatments were tried,but when it came time to face Turnbull for a place in the semis she could not grip the racquet

Kerry Reid qualifies for the series champs and retires expecting her first child. Kerry has been a fixture in women’s tennis since she defeated Billie Jean King as a teenager in the ’66 US Championships.

Finals drew 9,200 (best attendance for semis at 9,800)
Total attendance=50,122

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Aussie was actually held twice in 1980. This first version was (thankfully) the last time it would be such a minor event.

MARLBORO AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Dates: December 24 1979 to January 6
Venue: Kooyong, Melbourne, Australia
Surface: Grass

Prize Money= $50,000

Singles (Draw=32)

1st Round

Mary Sawyer d. Virginia Ruzici (Rom) [1] 0-6 6-2 6-4
Naoko Sato (Jpn) d. Elizabeth Little 7-5 6-4
Judy Chaloner (NZ) d. Linda Cassell 2-6 6-0 6-3
Janet Newberry (US) [7] d. Diane Evers 6-4 6-4
Sharon Walsh (US) [4] d. Marcella Mesker (Neth) 6-7 6-2 6-4
Jutta Diesslin (Ger) d. Jenny Dimond 7-5 6-4
Michele Gurdal (Bel) d. Cathy Griffiths 6-4 4-6 6-1
Keryn Pratt d. Chris Newton (NZ) [Q] 6-1 6-3

Renata Tomanova (CZ) [3] d. Nerida Gregory 7-6 7-5
Pam Whytcross d. Mimi Wikstedt (Swd) 5-7 6-3 6-2
Sue Saliba d. Susan Leo 4-6 6-4 6-1
Cynthia Doerner [8] d. Kim Ruddell 6-1 6-4
Barbara Jordan (US) [5] d. Kaye Hallam 6-3 6-2
Leanne Harrison d. Bernadette Randall 4-6 6-2 6-3
Anne Minter [Q] d. Brenda Catton 6-3 6-1
Hana Mandlikova (CZ) [2] d. Jenny Walker 6-1 6-2

2nd Round

Sawyer d. Sato 6-3 6-4
Newberry [7] d. Chaloner 6-2 3-6 6-1
Walsh [4] d. Diesslin 6-1 6-4
Gurdal d. Pratt 6-1 6-4

Tomanova [3] d. Whytcross 6-4 4-6 6-1
Doerner [8] d. Saliba 5-7 7-6 6-3
Jordan [5] d. Minter [Q] 7-5 6-1
Mandlikova [2] d. Harrison 6-4 7-5

Quaterfinals

Sawyer d. Newberry [7] 7-6 6-3
Walsh [4] d. Gurdal 6-0 6-3
Tomanova [3] d. Doerner 6-2 6-1
Jordan [5] d. Mandlikova [2] 6-2 6-2

Semifinals

Walsh [4] d. Sawyer 7-6 6-3
Jordan [5] d. Tomanova [3] 5-7 6-3 6-3

Final

Barbara Jordan (US) [5] d. Sharon Walsh (US) [4] 6-3 6-3

---------------------------

Doubles (Draw=16)

1st Round

Barbara Jordan (US)/Kym Ruddell[1] d. Carol Draper/Gwen Stirton 6-3 7-6
Elizabeth Little/Kerryn Pratt d. Jenny Dimond/Lisette Senn (Can) 6-1 6-1
Cynthia Doerner/Sharon Walsh (US)[4] d. Nerida Gregory/Michele Gurdal (Bel) 7-6 6-3
Leanne Harrison/Marcella Mesker (Neth) d. Linda Cassell/Sue Leo 3-6 6-3 6-3

Sue Saliba/Mary Sawyer d. Naoko Sato (Jpn)/Pam Whytcross 6-4 7-5
Judy Chaloner (NZ)/Diane Evers[3] d. Kaye Hallam/Cathy Griffiths 6-0 6-2
Chris Newton (NZ)/Jenny Walker d. Debbie Freeman/Karen Gulley 6-2 7-5
Renata Tomanova (Cz)/Mimi Wikstedt (Swd)[2] d. Brenda Catton/Anne Minter 6-3 7-6

Quaterfinals

Little/Pratt d. Jordan/Ruddell[1] 2-6 6-2 8-6
Harrison/Mesker d. Doerner/Walsh[4] 7-6 6-2
Chaloner/Evers[3] d. Saliba/Sawyer 6-1 3-6 6-2
Newton/Walker d. Tomanova/Wikstedt[2] 6-2 6-2

Semifinals

Harrison/Mesker d. Little/Pratt 7-6 7-6
Chaloner/Evers[3] d. Newton/Walker 3-6 6-1 10-8

Final

Judy Chaloner/Diane Evers[3] d. Leanne Harrison/Marcella Mesker 6-2 1-6 6-0

---------------------------

Summary:

For the first time in 18 years the top two seeds in the women’s draw at the Australian Open were overseas players. Neither top-seeded Virginia Ruzici of Romania, nor No.2-seeded Czechoslovakian Hana Mandlikova, lived up to their top billings, the former failing in the first round, the latter in the third round to No.5 seed Barbra Jordan of the USA. Hana was hindered by a number of footfaults in her losing QF.

In the end it was Jordan and fellow American Sharon Walsh who made it through to the final, Jordan’s 6-3 6-3 victory making her the first international woman to win the title since Virginia Wade in 1972.

This was the first edition of the Australian for 1980. Due to a calendar shift a second edition was held in November.

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A NYT article about Barbara's win. It was ironic, as her sister Kathy was the much more accomplished player. Nonetheless the only Jordan with a singles slam was Barbara!

Barbara Jordan Once Won the Australian Open. Really.
Many do not recall her 1979 victory in the tournament, which is about to begin this week in a country ravaged by fire.

Barbara Jordan with the trophy she won — but could not keep — at the 1979 Australian Open.

• Published Jan. 19, 2020Updated Jan. 24, 2020
On a staircase landing in Barbara Jordan’s Northern California home, encased in a wide glass frame, is a round silver platter, largely tarnished by age. In simple arced engraving, the plate reads, “1979 Australian Open, Women’s Champion, Barbara Jordan.”
But the memento is a fake, made by her parents to commemorate their daughter’s achievement because, in those days, winners did not take home a trophy.
“They were appalled that the tournament never gave me a trophy,” said an amused Jordan, now 62. “So, they found a silver platter at an antique auction and had it engraved for me.”
When Jordan won the tournament more than 40 years ago, the Australian Open was the final major of the season, not the first, and a largely ignored stepchild. It has since become a major event, attracting hundreds of thousands of spectators and top players.

About 250 players are scheduled to compete starting this week, but years ago players often dismissed the tournament because, until 1987, it was held over the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; they passed on the extended flight to Melbourne in favor of time at home.
“I have a big family, and Christmas was important to us,” said Chris Evert, who lost to Evonne Goolagong in the 1974 final and didn’t return until 1981. “And back then, the Grand Slams didn’t hold the importance that they do today It was all about the Virginia Slims tournaments, about us building a tour and proving ourselves. For us, it was more important to win 10 tournaments a year rather than one Grand Slam. Now it’s the opposite.”
For Jordan, a three-time All-American at Stanford, being away from her suburban Philadelphia home during the holidays was not such a big deal, especially because in those days players stayed with host families while on the road, so she knew she would not be alone for Christmas dinner.

Only 32 women entered the singles tournament that year, and Jordan was the No. 5 seed.

Only 32 women entered the singles tournament that year, and Jordan was the No. 5 seed.
Despite losing early at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the United States Open in 1979 and being ranked No. 68 in the world, Jordan was optimistic about the Australian Open. The year before, Chris O’Neil of Australia, ranked No. 111, had captured the title over Betsy Nagelsen of the United States.
“I had only recently turned pro, and the year before I had taken Martina [Navratilova] to three sets in my first Wimbledon,” Jordan said. “That was the only set she lost that year on the way to her first Wimbledon title. So I liked my chances at the Australian, which was also played on grass.”
There were only 32 women, including three Americans, entered in the Australian Open singles in 1979 — compared with the 128 draw this year — and Jordan was the No. 5 seed. After beating two Australians in the first two rounds, Jordan upset the second seed, Hana Mandlikova, a 17-year-old Czech who would go on to win the title the next year, and in 1987, and become a future hall of famer. Jordan then outlasted another Czech, the No. 3 Renata Tomanova, before beating a fellow American, the fourth-seeded Sharon Walsh, 6-3, 6-3 in the final.

“To be honest, I don’t remember anything about that match,” said Mandlikova. “I guess I don’t want to remember.”
For Jordan, the win was one for the ages, especially because it was the only singles title she won. She played the Australian Open only one more time, losing in the first round to Mandlikova in 1983, and never again advanced beyond the third round at a major. Her highest career ranking was No. 37.
For her win, Jordan received $10,000 in prize money, in contrast to the $50,000 awarded to the men’s singles champ, Guillermo Vilas of Argentina.
Jordan can take pride that she is just one of seven American women to have won the Australian during the Open era dating from 1969. The others are Navratilova, Evert, Monica Seles, Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams.
Jordan, who recently retired as an attorney for the city of San Jose, Calif., said she had not been back to Melbourne since 1983. She has attended Women’s Tennis Association reunions in the United States and, as a former member of the W.T.A.’s board of directors, she has been involved in helping the organization set up a pension fund for the game’s earliest pros.
Jordan does not dwell on her lone major title and, in fact, rarely tells friends and colleagues about it because she does not want to brag. She jokes that she used to be the answer to a trivia question at an Australian bar. Anyone who could identify her as the 1979 champ would win a free drink. She said hardly anyone did.

Several years ago, Jordan watched on television as a parade of former champions was honored on court and realized that tournament organizers had forgotten to invite her. She was not happy.

Then, three years ago, she learned that Diane Evers of Australia and Judy Chaloner of New Zealand, who won the women’s doubles title in 1979, were presented with championship plates by Tennis Australia. Last year, the women were invited by Tennis Australia to attend the tournament. Jordan is still waiting for her invitation.
Once she realized that there were replica trophies being given out, Jordan contacted Tiley, the tournament director, to see if she could get a memento. She said Tiley responded by email, saying he would look into it and get back to her, but that he never did. He did not respond to several requests for comment.
Jordan recognizes that her request is trivial compared with what the country is dealing with.
“The images of what is going on there now are utterly heartbreaking,” she said. “I hope they have rain soon to get some relief from this incomprehensible tragedy.”

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In most minds the Colgate and Aussie were really the end of 1979.

Thus the Avon of Cincinatti REALLY kicked off the year.

January 7-13 Avon Championships of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, US(Indoors)

Prize Money= $150,000
Part of the Avon circuit

Singles (Draw=32)

1R: Chris Evert-Lloyd [1] d Bettina Bunge 6-2 6-1
1R: Terry Holladay d Carrie Meyer 6-2 6-3
1R: Rosie Casals d Wendy White 6-4 6-4
1R: Greer Stevens d Virginia Wade [7] 6-2 5-7 6-2
1R: Caroline Stoll d Kathy Barton [LL] 6-0 6-1
1R: Laura DuPont d Kathy May-Teacher 1-6 6-3 6-4
1R: Marita Redondo d Ilana Kloss 4-6 6-2 6-3
1R: Diane Fromholtz [5] d Betty Stove 6-3 6-1

1R: Wendy Turnbull [6] d Ann Kiyomura 6-4 6-3
1R: Anne Smith d Tanya Harford 6-4 6-4
1R: Pam Shriver d Sherry Acker 2-6 7-6 7-6
1R: Billie Jean King [4] d Betty Ann Stuart 3-6 7-6 6-2
1R: Kathy Jordan [8] d Renee Richards 6-4 6-4
1R: Mima Jausovec d Jeanne Duvall 6-2 0-6 6-1
1R: Kate Latham d Mary Carillo 6-3 6-4
1R: Tracy Austin [2] d Sylvia Hanika 6-2 6-2

2R: Evert-Lloyd [1] d Holladay 6-0 6-0
2R: Stevens d Casals 6-2 1-6 7-5
2R: Stoll d DuPont 7-6 6-4
2R: Fromholtz [5] d Redondo 6-2 6-1

2R: Turnbull [6] d Smith 6-2 6-1
2R: King [4] d Shriver 7-5 2-6 6-4
2R: Jordan [8] d Jausovec 6-1 6-4
2R: Austin [2] d Latham 6-3 6-1

QF: Evert-Lloyd [1] d Stevens 3-6 6-3 6-2
QF: Fromholtz [5] d Stoll 6-3 6-3
QF: King [4] d Turnbull [6] 7-6 (3) 7-6
QF: Austin [2] d Jordan [8] 6-3 6-1

SF: Evert-Lloyd [1] d Fromholtz [5] 6-1 6-4
SF: Austin [2] d King [4] 6-2 6-3

FI: Tracy Austin [2] d Chris Evert-Lloyd [1] 6-2 6-1

DF: Laura Dupont/Pam Shriver d. Mima Jausovec (Yug)/Anne Kiyomura [3] 6-3 6-3

Tracy crushes Chris-her 3rd win over Evert in 2 weeks and her 7th out of the last nine. Austin finishes the last game with 2 aces. Most points ended when Evert-who was probing more aggresively for openings, made an error. Chris: "It's not life or death anymore. I have beaten Tracy, and I know that if I am eager and hungry I can beat her. I'm just not that eager and hungry now. She is more patient than I am. She wins most of the longer rallies." The next day Evert announces she will be taking some time off the tour. Kathy Barton replaced #3 seed Evonne Goolagong-Cawley, still suffering from her finger injury.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Aussies had better do better by Jordan . When an American wins the Australian, they deserve that attention be paid.

By the way, I love the thread title.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Love this thread, thank you Rollo. One of my fave years. Evonne and Bjorn win the best tournament EVER—1980 Wimbledon!!
Even as a kid I didn’t understand the coin flip strategy. Evert was still a big villain for me, but I missed her terribly when she left the tour. It just wasnt as exciting. Such a strange few weeks, think that Chris Evert would ever lose to a tiny terror 3 times in 11 days and barely win enough total games to equal a set! I was shocked, but thrilled...until she left.

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never knew Evert was a baddie in your book Mark! I recall this "retirement". More than 50% thought she was done and washed up. The heiress had usurped her, the desire was gone, and she seemed destined for motherhood instead of more majors.

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
January 14-20 Avon of Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, US (Indoors on Sporteze Carpet)

Prize Money= $125,000
Part of the Avon Tour.

Singles (Draw=33)

PR: Marita Redondo d Wendy White 6-3 6-3

1R: Martina Navratilova [1] d Tanya Harford 6-0 6-0
1R: Mima Jausovec d Jeanne Duvall 7-5 6-4
1R: Pam Shriver d Regina Marsikova 6-4 4-6 6-0
1R: Kathy Jordan [7] d Renee Richards 6-1 7-6
1R: Dianne Fromholtz [4] d Rosie Casals 6-1 6-4
1R: Sherry Acker d Caroline Stoll 6-3 6-3
1R: Sylvia Hanika d Kathy May-Teacher 6-3 3-6 6-1
1R: Virginia Wade [5] d Ivanna Madruga 6-2 6-1

1R: Sue Barker [6] d Betsy Nagelsen 6-3 2-6 6-3
1R: Redondo d Lucia Romanov [Q] 6-3 6-2
1R: Betty Stove d Jo Durie [Q] 6-4 6-7 6-2
1R: Bettina Bunge d Billie Jean King [3] 6-2 6-3
1R: Greer Stevens [8] d Mary Carillo 6-2 6-4
1R: Laura DuPont d Betty Ann Stuart 4-6 6-4 6-4
1R: Ann Kiyomura d Kate Latham 2-6 7-5 6-0
1R: Evonne Goolagong-Cawley [2] d Stacy Margolin 6-7 6-1 7-5

2R: Navratilova [1] d Jausovec 6-3 6-1
2R: Shriver d Jordan [7] 4-6 6-1 7-5
2R: Fromholtz [4] d Acker 6-3 6-3
2R: Wade [5] d Hanika 6-4 6-0
2R: Barker [6] d Redondo 6-3 6-0
2R: Bunge d Stove 6-2 6-1
2R: Stevens [8] d DuPont 7-5 7-5
2R: Goolagong-Cawley [2] d Kiyomura default (bronchitis)

QF: Navratilova [1] d Shriver 6-3 7-6
QF: Wade [5] d Fromholtz [4] 6-2 6-1
QF: Barker [6] d Bunge 7-6 6-2
QF: Stevens [8] d Goolagong-Cawley [2] 7-6 6-1

SF: Navratilova [1] d Wade [5] 7-5 6-1
SF: Stevens [8] d Barker [6] 6-3 6-3

FI: Martina Navratilova [1] d Greer Stevens (SA) [8] 6-0 6-2

DF: Billie Jean King/Martina Navratilova [1] d Laura Dupont/Pam Shriver 6-3 6-1

Martina flattens the field in Kansas City.

In the final Martina was ahead 6-0 5-0 before she showed some mercy in a 50 minute execution. serving for the title she broken for the first time-- all week! Stevens: "You try to hit a winner and there Martina is and hits a winner. What do you do?"

Goolagong gets upset early. Was she still dealing with an injured finger?

------

January 14-19 Avon Futures of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, US (Indoors)

Prize money= $25,000
Part of the Avon Futures circuit.

Pre-Qualifying

PQ1: bye
PQ2: Andrea Jaeger d. Tracy Tanner 6-0 6-0
PQ3: A Jaeger d. Brink 6-0 6-0
PQ4: A Jaeger d. Blaney 6-2 4-6 6-3
PQ5: A Jaeger d. Brasher 6-1 6-1
PQ6: A Jaeger d. Brzakova 6-3 2-6 6-3

Qualifying

Q1: Andrea Jaeger [Q] d. Candy Reynolds 6-1 6-0
Q2: Jaeger [Q] d. Yeargin 6-3 6-1
Q3: Jaeger [Q] d. Blount 6-2 6-4

Main Draw

1R: Andrea Jaeger [Q] d Rosalyn Fairbank [7] 6-3 5-7 6-4
2R: Jaeger [Q] d Hobbs 6-2 6-4
QF: Jaeger [Q] d Budarova 6-2 6-4

SF: Potter [5] d Piatek [Q] 6-4 6-7 6-3
SF: Jaeger [Q] d Jordan 6-4 6-2

FI: Andrea Jaeger [Q] d Barbara Potter [5] 7-6 4-6 6-1

3rd place Piatek [Q] d Jordan 7-5

DF: Kay McDaniel/Barbara Potter d. Diane Desfor/Barbara Jordan 4-6 7-6 6-4

Jaeger flies through 13 matches to win! To this day Andrea's 13 matches are a record in the number of matches won to take a title. She won 5 matches in pre-qualifying, 3 in the qualies, and then 5 main draw encounters.

Andre's rise in 1980 will be meteoric.

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jags was an instant star.

A new young tennis star glints on the horizon
February 7, 1980
  • By Karla Vallance Special to The Christian Science Monitor
Chicago

Some call her "the next Tracy Austin." Others tag her as "the player to watch" in the 1980s. The newest prodigy in women's tennis is a 5 ft., 11/2 in., 90-pound high school freshman with blond pigtails and braces named Andrea Jaeger. The 14 -year-old resident of a Chicago suburb made her debut this year as the youngest professional player in the Avon Championship matches currently being played across the country -- and promptly trounced some of the top veterans on the tour.
Although Andrea had strong credentials and was fairly well known (she already has been the subject of a national magazine article and gained more recognition in a losing first-round match to Austin in last year's US Open), she was forced by the Avon rules to start at the very bottom in her first tour event -- the open pre-qualifying round of an Avon Futures tourney in Las Vegas. Obviously she belonged a bit higher up the ladder, as she demonstrated by getting through both the pre-qualifying and the regular qualifying matches and going on to win the whole tournament.
Andrea had elected to remain an amateur, so she had to pass up the $3,400 winner's check, but she did earn the right to play in two regular tour events. She entered the next one, in her hometown of Chicago, and at the same time declared herself a pro. That turned out to be a good move, for a first round upset over Kathy May Teacher netted her $1,750 in that tournament, and in Seattle the following week she astounded everyone with decisive wins over Rosemary Casals (6-3, 6-1), third-seeded Wendy Turnbull (6-2, 6-2), and Sue Barker (6-1, 6-3), reaching the semifinals and warning $7,500 before bowing to Austin, the eventual winner.

Tennis observers generally consider Andrea one of the three best female teen players in the world, along with the 16-year-old Austin and 18-year-old Bettina Bunge.

"The strongest point of her game is not any of her shots but her unyielding will to win," says her father and tennis mentor, Roland Jaeger. "Her strongest feature is her mind. She doesn't want to lose. Andrea boils on the court. She's totally involved in winning."

Roland, a Swiss who moved to the United States with his wife, Ilse, from Germany in 1956, ran a business in Chicago for many years. The couple picked up tennis during that period, and in 1977 -- when Andrea had already been playing for four years -- he sold his business to become a teaching pro at am club near the Jaeger home in Lincolnshire, Ill. And nowadays, of course, thanks partly to his success teaching his daughters, promising young players from all over the Chicago area wait in line for lessons from Roland and his fellow instructors.

Andrea's confidence and fierce determination, qualities absorbed from Roland through his close coaching, have already led to criticism from opponents for poor manners on the court. Her manner softens somewhat, however, when she plays against 17-year-old sister Suzanne, a topflight player in her [Word Illegible] right who is ranked among the top ten 18-and under singles players in the country by the Women's Tennis Association. Although Andrea regularly whips opponents who beat Suzy, she has never beaten her older sister.

"She wouldn't (beat Suzy)," says Roland. "She admires her sister too much to beat her." The two girls are the closest of friends, with an apparent lack of sibling rivalry. Suzy, who is a senior in high school and hopes to attend Stanford University next fall on a tennis scholarship, plays mother to Andrea as they travel to tournaments all over the world. They say they plan to hire a private tutor to help them keep pace with their classes after missing a month of school already this year.

Although Andrea practices tennis three hours a day during the school year, and recently gave up playing soccer on the boys team at school because of the risk of injury, last year she passed up invitations to the French and Italian Opens so she could attend her eighth grade graduation ceremony.

As she racks up a list of "youngest" achievements -- youngest to turn professional, youngest to play in a regular Avon tour event, youngest to win the Orange Bowl World Junior Championship in Florida, and youngest to make it into the US Open on her own merit (without a qualifier) -- the successor to Austin as the game's youngest fireball has yet to beat Tracy herself in their two meetings.

Meanwhile, as she continues to be trumpeted as the "new wonderteen" of tennis , Andrea just says she hopes to grow a little -- "at least to 5-5".

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Evert's decision to bail on the winter tour shocks the women's ranks.

Her mom Colette commented on Chris's "indefinite leave."

"Don't use the word retire. She hates that. She is physically and emotionally exhausted. I can see that her old zeal isn't there."

While opting out of a full schedule, Evert has committed to 5 Avon events.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Evonne wasn‘t out for the previous 6 months, she had just fallen a few weeks before in the YEC Colgate event vs Martina and injured her playing hand. She had been playing quite well leading up to that event, with two tournament victories, each with wins over new USO champ brace face Tracy. I had high hopes for her in that event given that Chris seemed out of sorts and Martina had lost so many matches vs Tracy. Plus Evonne definitely liked her chances vs Tracy.

Does anyone know if the finger injury was still bothering her vs Greer Stevens?

Thanks for the Andrea articles Rollo! She was a delight that year. Kinda like the first Capriati.

Chris was ALWAYS my main villain, then later Steffi, then Hingis, then Henin and finally Sharapova. I love a good villain!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
January 14-20 Avon of Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, US (Indoors on Sporteze Carpet)

Prize Money= $125,000
Part of the Avon Tour.

Singles (Draw=33)

PR: Marita Redondo d Wendy White 6-3 6-3

1R: Martina Navratilova [1] d Tanya Harford 6-0 6-0
1R: Mima Jausovec d Jeanne Duvall 7-5 6-4
1R: Pam Shriver d Regina Marsikova 6-4 4-6 6-0
1R: Kathy Jordan [7] d Renee Richards 6-1 7-6
1R: Dianne Fromholtz [4] d Rosie Casals 6-1 6-4
1R: Sherry Acker d Caroline Stoll 6-3 6-3
1R: Sylvia Hanika d Kathy May-Teacher 6-3 3-6 6-1
1R: Virginia Wade [5] d Ivanna Madruga 6-2 6-1

1R: Sue Barker [6] d Betsy Nagelsen 6-3 2-6 6-3
1R: Redondo d Lucia Romanov [Q] 6-3 6-2
1R: Betty Stove d Jo Durie [Q] 6-4 6-7 6-2
1R: Bettina Bunge d Billie Jean King [3] 6-2 6-3
1R: Greer Stevens [8] d Mary Carillo 6-2 6-4
1R: Laura DuPont d Betty Ann Stuart 4-6 6-4 6-4
1R: Ann Kiyomura d Kate Latham 2-6 7-5 6-0
1R: Evonne Goolagong-Cawley [2] d Stacy Margolin 6-7 6-1 7-5

2R: Navratilova [1] d Jausovec 6-3 6-1
2R: Shriver d Jordan [7] 4-6 6-1 7-5
2R: Fromholtz [4] d Acker 6-3 6-3
2R: Wade [5] d Hanika 6-4 6-0
2R: Barker [6] d Redondo 6-3 6-0
2R: Bunge d Stove 6-2 6-1
2R: Stevens [8] d DuPont 7-5 7-5
2R: Goolagong-Cawley [2] d Kiyomura default (bronchitis)

QF: Navratilova [1] d Shriver 6-3 7-6
QF: Wade [5] d Fromholtz [4] 6-2 6-1
QF: Barker [6] d Bunge 7-6 6-2
QF: Stevens [8] d Goolagong-Cawley [2] 7-6 6-1

SF: Navratilova [1] d Wade [5] 7-5 6-1
SF: Stevens [8] d Barker [6] 6-3 6-3

FI: Martina Navratilova [1] d Greer Stevens (SA) [8] 6-0 6-2

DF: Billie Jean King/Martina Navratilova [1] d Laura Dupont/Pam Shriver 6-3 6-1

Martina flattens the field in Kansas City.

In the final Martina was ahead 6-0 5-0 before she showed some mercy in a 50 minute execution. serving for the title she broken for the first time-- all week! Stevens: "You try to hit a winner and there Martina is and hits a winner. What do you do?"

Goolagong-out for over 6 months due to injury. is still searching for good form.

------

January 14-19 Avon Futures of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, US (Indoors)

Prize money= $25,000
Part of the Avon Futures circuit.

Pre-Qualifying

PQ1: bye
PQ2: Andrea Jaeger d. Tracy Tanner 6-0 6-0
PQ3: A Jaeger d. Brink 6-0 6-0
PQ4: A Jaeger d. Blaney 6-2 4-6 6-3
PQ5: A Jaeger d. Brasher 6-1 6-1
PQ6: A Jaeger d. Brzakova 6-3 2-6 6-3

Qualifying

Q1: Andrea Jaeger [Q] d. Candy Reynolds 6-1 6-0
Q2: Jaeger [Q] d. Yeargin 6-3 6-1
Q3: Jaeger [Q] d. Blount 6-2 6-4

Main Draw

1R: Andrea Jaeger [Q] d Rosalyn Fairbank [7] 6-3 5-7 6-4
2R: Jaeger [Q] d Hobbs 6-2 6-4
QF: Jaeger [Q] d Budarova 6-2 6-4

SF: Potter [5] d Piatek [Q] 6-4 6-7 6-3
SF: Jaeger [Q] d Jordan 6-4 6-2

FI: Andrea Jaeger [Q] d Barbara Potter [5] 7-6 4-6 6-1

3rd place Piatek [Q] d Jordan 7-5

DF: Kay McDaniel/Barbara Potter d. Diane Desfor/Barbara Jordan 4-6 7-6 6-4

Jaeger flies through 13 matches to win! To this day Andrea's 13 matches are a record in the number of matches won to take a title. She won 5 matches in pre-qualifying, 3 in the qualies, and then 5 main draw encounters.

Andre's rise in 1980 will be meteoric.
I was so excited by Jaeger's win. I had been watching her junior career and was expecting bigs, And she delivered in a big way that year!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
This was such an exciting year in my mind. I was crushed at the outset with Chris struggling but, boy, did she come through with flying colors once she returned. Although that Goolagong defeat at Wimbledon was the worst!

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Evonne wasn‘t out for the previous 6 months, she had just fallen a few weeks before in the YEC Colgate event vs Martina and injured her playing hand."

Thanks Mark. I was mixing up 1978 and 1979! I corrected it.

·
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
January 21-27 Avon Championships of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, US (Indoors on Sporteze)

Prize Money= $200,000
Part of the Avon Tour.

Singles (Draw=32)

1R: Martina Navratilova [1] d Terry Holladay 6-1 6-1
1R: Tanya Harford d Kate Latham 6-3 2-6 6-3
1R: Laura Du Pont d Betsy Nagelsen 7-6 2-6 6-3
1R: Greer Stevens d Jane Jarosz [LL] 6-0 6-2
1R: Billie Jean King [4] d Caroline Stoll 6-1 7-5
1R: Renee Richards d Lucia Romanov 6-1 7-5
1R: Mary Lou Piatek d Jo Durie 6-3 6-2
1R: Diane Fromholtz [5] d Rosie Casals 7-6 6-4

1R: Wendy Turnbull [6] d Ivanna Madruga 6-3 6-2
1R: Mima Jausovec d Barbara Jordan 6-3 6-2
1R: Sylvia Hanika d Betty Stove 6-1 5-7 6-3
1R: Evonne Goolagong-Cawley [3] d Stacy Margolin 6-1 6-1
1R: Kathy Jordan [8] d Barbara Potter 6-3 6-3
1R: Andrea Jaeger d Kathy May-Teacher 6-3 6-3
1R: Bettina Bunge d Regina Marsikova 6-1 6-3
1R: Chris Evert-Lloyd [2] d Betty Ann Stuart 6-2 6-3

2R: Navratilova [1] d Harford 6-2 6-0
2R: Stevens d du Pont 4-6 6-2 6-3
2R: King [4] d Richards 6-0 7-5
2R: Fromholtz [5] d Piatek 6-2 6-1

2R: Turnbull [6] d Jausovec 6-4 6-4
2R: Hanika d Goolagong-Cawley [3] 6-4 6-7 6-4
2R: Jordan [8] d Jaeger 6-2 6-1
2R: Evert-Lloyd [2] d Bunge 6-2 6-3

QF: Navratilova [1] d Stevens 6-4 6-3
QF: King [4] d Fromholtz [5] 4-6 6-4 7-6
QF: Turnbull [6] d Hanika 7-6 3-6 6-1
QF: Evert-Lloyd [2] d Jordan [8] 7-5 6-4

SF: Navratilova [1] d King [4] 7-6 (7-1) 3-6 6-1
SF: Evert-Lloyd [2] d Turnbull [6] 6-0 6-2

FI: Martina Navratilova [1] d Chris Evert-Lloyd [2] 6-4 6-4

DF: Billie Jean King/Martina Navratilova [1] d Sylvia Hanika (Ger)/Kathy Jordan 6-3 6-4

#7 seed Barker withdrew due to illness and was replaced by LL-Jarosz.

Andrea Jaeger makes her debut as the youngest pro ever a week after winning a Futures event in Las Vegas, beating 19th ranked Teacher. In the 2r her 14 match win streak is ended. King creates fireworks in her close QF, throwing her racquet several times, loudly arguing calls( 2 of which were reversed in her favor), and then refusing to attend a mandatory post-match press conference. "I was unprofessional on the court, so I guess I'll be unprofessional again", said Ms. King.

Evert crushed Turnbull 6-0 6-2 in the semis. She committed only four errors for the whole match!

The final attracted a sellout crowd of 9,300. Evert broke Navratilova 4 times. "It was a different Chris than normal because was a lot more aggressive," Martina said. Chris often came in on short balls. The final game raged over 11 deuces. Martina clinched it by smacking 9 winners.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
For some reason I don’t recall this result for Chris. I thought she had left the tour by then, but was it a week or two later in Seattle? I also forgot about the Hanika loss for Evonne. I remember being really disappointed in much of her Avon results that winter since she had performed so well in the fall. I think in her autobiography she said she was anemic (?) during most of early 1980.

I don’t really understand how Martina could lose her confidence so easily at this point in her career. Certainly not the above match against Chris, but she was capable of blowing both Chris and Tracy off the court and then the following week losing a together three setter to either one. She seemed so fragile until 1982, but even then...

·
Registered
15 Posts
the '70s and early 80s was one of the most exciting times in womens tennis. Alot fo this was due the fact the leading players were different 'personalities' - think of the differences between Billie Jean, Chris, Evonne and Virginia for example all different but genuine and interesting. I find that alot of the players today just do not have the hinterland that these women and the rest of the cast had. today they can come across as robots with no feeling and the interviews and media appearnances are mechanical to say the least. I remember watching the big W back then and they were truly individual and this was shown in the way they played the game. Billie Jean's all out attack seemed to reflect her personality like it or not, Chris's more conserative error free game seemed to reflect her upbringing. Evonne (my all time favourite) was just unique and from reading Home her attitude to life as well. The different styles of play made the tennis played interesting and compelling. Wimbledon in 1980, despite the weather. which was truly dreadful that summer here in the UK even by our standards, was one of the best tournaments I have seen, it had everything you could wish for and was an excellent advertisment for the sport. The King/Navratilova match was outstanding and compelling to watch, the emergence of Jaeger on the big stage was interesting and it was first time I really became of the talent of Mandlikova. The semis between the two favourites and the 'has beens' were fascinating. The final from my point of view could not have been more perfect and I admit I cried when Evonne won. She had been through so much with injuries and illness that at long last she had some reward for her talent. Looking back 40 years tennis has changed so much, not necessarily for the better. The examples of Federer and Barty hopefully show that power is not the only thing that count but I miss the tennis of this period because it had touch and power, athetlcism and grace in balance and this served the game well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts