Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 205 Posts

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Added Santista Cup circuit results.
Started adding in doubles and prize money
added in some National Rankings (Argentina and Australia)

If anyone has more results, comments, or anything of interest for 1979 let us know.

Thanks to Chaton for working so hard on this.:worship:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Nov 26-Dec 2 Melbourne

With 6 of the top ten present, Hana wins her first big event.
According to my "World of Tennis" annual this event was played at the Kooyong club. Does this mean that the same venue hosted this event and also the Australian Open a couple of weeks later? If so, why didn't some of the top women who played this event not stick around to play the Australian Open?

Rollo, please move my query to a separate thread if you want to restrict this thread to results only.

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
According to my "World of Tennis" annual this event was played at the Kooyong club. Does this mean that the same venue hosted this event and also the Australian Open a couple of weeks later?
Yes indeedy.

If so, why didn't some of the top women who played this event not stick around to play the Australian Open?
Money. This event offered prize money of $100,000. Sydney followed with $100,000, then the NSW (also in Sydney) had $50,000. When the Australian followed the next week it also featured only $50,000. With the paltry prize money and the big event (The Colgate) the next week the Aussie LTA finally
got the message and poured $200,000 into the women's event in 1980.

1980 was the start of the "comeback" of the Australian open to true slam status.

Rollo, please move my query to a separate thread if you want to restrict this thread to results only.
Here is fine Samn. Because of your question I'll make sure to address this issue in the notes. Thanks:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Colgate Series Championships ($250,000) Landover, Maryland, 2-7 January 1980

*Note: Though contested in 1980 this event ended the 1979 season.

Round Robin: Red Group
Tracy Austin d. Wendy Turnbull (Aus) 6-1 6-0
Chris Evert d. Dianne Fromholtz (Aus) 6-1 6-4
Austin d. Evert 6-1 6-3
Turnbull d. Fromholtz 4-6 6-1 6-4

Blue Group
Martina Navratilova d. Kerry Reid (Aus) 6-3 6-0
Evonne Goolagong (Aus) d. Regina Marsikova (Cz) 6-1 6-1
Navratilova d. Goolagong 6-3 6-2
Marsikova d. Reid walkover

Play-offs
Evert d. Marsikova 6-3 6-0
Turnbull d. Goolagong walkover

Semi-finals
Austin d. Evert 6-3 6-0
Navratilova d. Turnbull 6-2 6-0

Final
Navratilova d. Austin 6-2 6-1
(Third Place: Evert d. Turnbull 6-1 6-1)

Navratilova cements her first consensus #1 year end ranking with a dominant performance. Austin routs Evert twice. Tracy is still #3 on the computer, but she has proven her elevation above Evert. Kerry Reid qualifies for the series champs and retires expecting her first child. Kerry has been a fixture in women’s tennis since she defeated Billie Jean King as a teenager in the ’66 US Championships.
According to ITF Turnbull-Goolagong was "2-1, retired" rather than walkover.

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
According to ITF Turnbull-Goolagong was "2-1, retired" rather than walkover.
Thanks Mick-I missed your posts lately-welcome back!

I can confirm that the ITF is incorrect. Evonne never went on court vs Wendy. I can confirm this through newspaper clippings and personal experience. I was there that night and missed out on seeing Goolagong in person:sad:

I've updated more results in December (especially doubles results) and made more comments. Also added finals for the Ellesse mini circuit.

Keep the comments, corrections, and scores coming all!

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
A comment concerning Adalaide: The seedings are definetly not possible as given by WTA.

Bunge is given as #3 seed, but would meet #2 seed Ruzici in QF in the draw.

Gregory as #6 seed would have met #2 Ruzici in the 2nd round if she wouldn't have lost her first match.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks Mick-I missed your posts lately-welcome back!

I can confirm that the ITF is incorrect. Evonne never went on court vs Wendy. I can confirm this through newspaper clippings and personal experience. I was there that night and missed out on seeing Goolagong in person:sad:

I've updated more results in December (especially doubles results) and made more comments. Also added finals for the Ellesse mini circuit.

Keep the comments, corrections, and scores coming all!
Hi, Rollo. Duly noted. I’m spending time on tennisarchives.com lately. They are posting a wealth of old men’s results from 1967-1969. Real El Dorado for me!

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Hi, Rollo. Duly noted. I’m spending time on tennisarchives.com lately. They are posting a wealth of old men’s results from 1967-1969. Real El Dorado for me!
I imagine it does feel like a gold mine! Izzy does a great job with that site. When he's all caught up and we are at a comfortable place I'd like to team up with him and have a go at a searchable women's database as well.

Enjoy your time there and drop in and visit us too:)

Today I added in several non-tour level events (including the Euro Amateur-won by Olga Morozova), prize money when i know it, and the full draw for the Futures of Boise.

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
Added yesterday the full draw of the 35K event of Toronto. Could find the draw in the tournament archives of wtatennis.com There are a couple of more results of the 70's so maybe we should have a closer look on that.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
May 15-20 Gunze World Classic Tokyo, JAP Draw=8

QF Navratilova d J.Evert

SF Navratilova d Ruzici 64 63

F Navratilova d Austin 61 61

Note: Can anyone correct the dates? Ruzici competing in Tokyo and Vienna at the same time is absolutely impossible so there must be something wrong.
chaton,
According to my copy of "World of Tennis", you've got the correct dates for the Gunze, but it wasn't Ruzici that Navratilova beat in the semis. World of Tennis has the following scores:

SF: Navratilova d. Kathy May 6-4, 6-3; Austin d Betty Stove 6-2,6-2
F: Navratilova d Austin 6-1, 6-1
Doubles F: Rosie Casals/Navratilova d. Austin/Laura Dupont 6-4,3-6,6-3

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
April 2-8 Bridgestone Doubles Championships, Tokyo, Japan (Indoors)

Prize money= $150,000 US

FI: Francoise Durr/Betty Stove d Sue Barker/Ann Kiyomura 7-5 7-6
In case you want the semi-final scores for this one:

Durr/Stove d. Kerry Reid/Wendy Turnbull 7-6,6-3
Barker/Kiyomura d. Lesley Hunt/Sharon Walsh 6-0,6-2

Third place match: Reid/Turnbull d. Hunt/Walsh 7-5,7-6

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
In case you want the semi-final scores for this one:

Durr/Stove d. Kerry Reid/Wendy Turnbull 7-6,6-3
Barker/Kiyomura d. Lesley Hunt/Sharon Walsh 6-0,6-2

Third place match: Reid/Turnbull d. Hunt/Walsh 7-5,7-6
Sorry, more previous round scores for this one.

QF:
Durr/Stove d. Sherry Acker/Mary Carillo 6-3,6-1
Reid/Turnbull d. Virginia Wade/Janet Newberry 4-6,7-5,7-5
Hunt/Walsh d. Rosie Casals/Anne Smith 7-6,1-6,6-3
Barker/Kiyomura d. Carrie Meyer/Pam Teeguarden 6-0,6-3

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Thanks Samn-your info was a HUGE help!:)

Do you have the 1R results for the Gunze event? I added in your info and added the full Bridgstone Draw-plus an interesting story about Caroline Stoll in the Vienna event.

Thanks again.
No, WoT has only the semi-final and final round scores for the Gunze, I'm afraid. However, Zummi's site does have the score for Martina's quarter-final match.

Navratilova d. Terry Holladay 6-1,6-0

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Hi Samm

I Have The First Round Results

Martina Navratilova D Terry Holladay 6/1-6/0
Kathy May D Rosie Casals 5/7-6/2-6/2
Betty Stove D Stacy Margolin 6/3-6/3
Tracy Austin D Laura Dupont 6/3-6/2

See You Soon Thanks Miguel

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Hi Samm

I Have The First Round Results

Martina Navratilova D Terry Holladay 6/1-6/0
Kathy May D Rosie Casals 5/7-6/2-6/2
Betty Stove D Stacy Margolin 6/3-6/3
Tracy Austin D Laura Dupont 6/3-6/2

See You Soon Thanks Miguel
Thanks a lot, Miguel. So what exactly is the deal with the Gunze tournament? Tracy Austin's win in 1978 seems to be counted in her official list of tournament wins, but Navratilova's career total does not seem to include her win in 1979.

Also, does anyone know which Gunze tournament this link refers to? Was there more than one Gunze event in 1979?

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_du_Japon

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks Ugarte, and you too Samn.

Results added.

I can answer some of your questions about the Gunze event Samn. The French wiki has actually taken two different events and incorrectly joined them together.

Event #1 (1971-1978 on the wiki) is the Gunze tournament that started in 1971. At that time there was no unified world tour, so I would call it an 8 woman event rather than an exhibition. Early on the event was held indoors and outdoors, with different matches in various cities. There was an event in 1975 that is missing from this list.

At some point this event turned into what we would call an exhibition. From 1977 there WAS a world tour, and an 8 woman event was too small to turn into a tour event. And as the Japanese kept geting good fields anyway (and also had tour events) the sponsers, Gunze, were happy with the event.

The Gunze lasted well into the late 1980s. I recall watching the event on TV when I lived in Japan (1988 and 1989)-Steefi Graf and Manuela Maleeva played it more than once I believe. It died as the WTA tour became more unifed and events like Rome and Berlin grew in status.

The Nagelson-Sato result from 1979 is all mesed up.

621/05/1979Gunze Champ’s Kobe &, Tokyo87 500Dur (int.) Betsy Nagelsen Naoko Sato6-3, 6-4

The May date is correct for the Gunze exhibition. The Nagelson-Sato final is from the fall, and was a lower level tour event.

All the events listed after 1979 were tour level events and had NOTHING to do with Gunze.

Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
in spring, Napoli, Italy (Clay)
Venue: Tennis Club

FI: Pam Whytcross d. Monica Giorgi ??

DF: Beatriz Villaverde/Susana Maria Villaverde d. ??

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
July 1-15, Pan American Games, San Juan de Porto Rico

FI: Susan Hagey d. Trey Lewis 3-6 6-0 6-2

DF: Ann Henricksson/Susan Hagey d. ??

MX: Marlin Noriega (Ven)/Juan Boveda (Ven) d. ??

61 - 80 of 205 Posts