Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Week of December 1-7

December 1-7 South Australian Championships Adelaiide, Australia (Grass)

QF: Sue Barker d Jan Wilton 6-3 6-4
QF: Berkinshaw d Vivica Anderson 6-2 7-6
QF: Christine O'Neil d Lotta Stenberg 6-2 6-2
QF: Helga Niessen Masthoff d Michele Tyler 3-6 6-0 6-3

SF: Barker d Berkinshaw 6-0-6-0
SF: Masthoff d O'Neil Chris 6-2 6-3

FI: Sue Barker d Helga Masthoff 6-2 6-1
According to ITF correct spelling is Vivicca Andersson.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Week of October 20-26

ends October 26 Pan American Games, Mexico City, Mexico (Clay?)

1R: Stephanie Tolleson (US)-bye
1R: Lelya Musalem-bye
1R: Lele Forood (US) d Wanda Frraz (Brz) 6-4 6-2
1R: A Vallejo d Emilse Rapponi (Arg) 6-4 7-6
1R: Pat Medrado (Brz) d Wendy Hitt 6-3 6-0
1R: Gina Diaz Ponce d Cecelia Barbat 6-4 7-6
1R: Andrade-bye
1R: Sandy Stap-bye

QF: Musalem d Tolleson 6-4 7-5
QF: Forood d Vallejo 6-2-6-0
QF: Medrado d Diaz Ponce 6-4-6-2
QF: Stap d Andrade 6-4-6-1

SF: Forood d Musalem 6-2-3-6-6-1
SF: Medrado d Stap 7-5-6-2

FI: Lele Forood d Pat Medrado 6-1 6-0
Lelya Musalem - correct first name is Leyla
Cecelia Barbat - correct first name is Cecilia
A Vallejo most likely is Alejandra
"Frraz" is a very odd last name. Maybe also a typo? Maybe "Erraz"? Even though neither is mentioned on ITF site, Erraz sounds more like real name.
Any info on first name of Andrade?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Week of July 7-13

July 7-13 Swiss Open Championships Gstaad, Switzerland (Clay)

Draw= 18

1R: Monica Giorgi d Moore (Aus) 6-4 6-1
1R: Nana Sato d E Emmenegger 6-3 9-7

2R: Lea Pericoli d Frances Taylor 6-2 9-7
2R: Gylnis Coles d Marianne Kindler 6-1 6-1
2R: Odile de Roubin d Anna-Maria Ruegg 6-4 6-2
2R: Giorgi d Petra Delhees 6-2 6-4

2R: Sato d Belinda Thompson 7-5 3-6 6-2
2R: Katalin Borka d Eichenberger 6-4 6-4
2R: Danielle Bouteleux d A Casado 8-9 6-2 6-1
2R: Linky Boshoff [1] d Toshiko Sade 6-3 6-1

QF: Coles d Pericoli 9-8 6-3
QF: Giorgi d De Roubin 9-8 8-9 8-6
QF: Sato d Borka 1-6 6-4 7-5
QF: Boshoff [1] d Bouteleux 6-3 6-1

SF: Coles d Giorgi 6-0 6-3
SF: Boshoff [1] d Sato 6-0 -64

FI: Glynis Coles d Linky Boshoff [1] 9-7 2-6 8-6

Moore - was it Faye Moore or Wendy Moore or someone else?
Gylnis Coles - typo
Anna-Maria Ruegg - according to ITF her first name is Anne-Marie
Danielle Bouteleux - according to ITF her first name is Daniele

·
Registered
452 Posts
well we know maria bueno was a shadow of her former self when she played singles at wimby in 1977 even though a 6-2,7-5 lost to billie jean wasnt' that bad of a score, but anyway how was bueno's game 2 years earlier playing mixed doubles in 1975?

must have been better since her and nastase were neck and neck with the 1 seed court and riessen!

you know i've been trying to find bueno matches and clips from this period on youtube to see her game and how she played and looks and what her ability was even way past her prime and out of the game for so long on youtube without any luck?

i always wished that maria had not played billie jean at the 77 wimby and yet was still in chrissie's side of the draw, oh, to imagine chrissie getting to play bueno would have been such an all time highlight of tennis, even maria playing past her prime against number 1 chrissie would still be a match for the ages!

even if chrissie would have won handily, being that since maria lost to billie jean in straights, billie would get blown out in the very next round to chrissie 6-1, 6-2 in under an hour!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I confess to have been busy lately and not in touch witih BFTP, but what a treasure trove this thread is. So cool to have all the results compiled like this. Brings back more memories than I can REMEMBER! Thanks for the wonderful work Rollo and everyone else who contributed!

·
25,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I confess to have been busy lately and not in touch witih BFTP, but what a treasure trove this thread is. So cool to have all the results compiled like this. Brings back more memories than I can REMEMBER! Thanks for the wonderful work Rollo and everyone else who contributed!
Hello Jem:wavey: I'm happy this brings back happy memories. If you have any additional thoughts or information you ever want to share don't hesitate. to me a lot of what makes the results "come alive" are the notes on the events.

P.S. Do you know where to find other years? Right now I'm working on 1974.

·
25,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Thank you for all of the corrections Mike. They are fixed-with a couple of new first name additions for Swiss players Emmenegger and Eichenberger.

Slowly but surely....

Posted by laschutz you know i've been trying to find bueno matches and clips from this period on youtube to see her game and how she played and looks and what her ability was even way past her prime and out of the game for so long on youtube without any luck?

i always wished that maria had not played billie jean at the 77 wimby and yet was still in chrissie's side of the draw, oh, to imagine chrissie getting to play bueno would have been such an all time highlight of tennis, even maria playing past her prime against number 1 chrissie would still be a match for the ages!
I can't think of any video of Bueno from this time period either. Wimbledon 1977 might be our best chance of getting a view Maria in the twilight of her career.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Somewhere, there is video of Bueno vs. Barker at Wimbledon. Bueno won a set before Sue came back. It's ok tennis. Bueno has some nice shots, but once Sue got grooved and got past her nerves, there was some ugly tennis, but Sue dominated.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ends May 4 Mixed Doubles Classic Scottsdale Arizona

Draw=8

1R: Billie Jean King/Tony Trabert d Wendy Overton/ Owen Davidson 6-4 6-4
Sven or Owen? My notes say Sven.

·
Registered
452 Posts
well, yeah, chris would have stomped maria being that maria lost 2 and 5 to king and the very next round chrissie destroyed billie 1 and 2. maria might have got a few games off a slow starting chrissie, playing a legend she had never faced before at the big W and other factors.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Would have been an interesting draw for Chris if she was paired against Bueno in 2R. Chris states she was emotionally drained by the pressure of being defending champ, having to play 14 y.o. Austin in 3R, and then her grass nemesis King in the QF. If she had Bueno to contend with first (and I do think Chris would have beaten her easily) that might have only added to the stress. But it would have been an intriguing match up if they had a chance to play. I believe Martina got to play against Maria once.
PS - Kruger had good results at Wimbledon. She nearly beat Wade in 1976 4R, then she extended King to 3 sets in 1977, and in 1978 Kruger got to the QF. Then she sort of disappeared.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Here's the result of the women's doubles final from the European Championships, held in Vienna, Austria, at the beginning of August:

DF: Marina Kroshina (USSR)/Olga Morozova (USSR) d. Martina Navratilova (CZE)/Renata Tomanova (CZE) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
-----

81 - 100 of 200 Posts