Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Claire! :)
Only was able to catch a chunk of the first set, but she defended well and attacked Kaia’s second serve effectively. Despite high DFs, she had a pretty good first serve percentage, which protected the second. Sitting just outside top 100 in live rankings now, great job! She’s definitely played well this clay season and should be back in after Rabat (assuming she plays, may WD to protect her knees) and RG. Tough final with Bia - both their matches have gone very long and Bia prevailed in a third set just last week.
Don’t see her on the WTA grass entries or Makarska, so maybe she’s playing 100K Surbiton.

Honestly, a bit surprised with this result because Claire does struggle a bit with heavy hitters and I thought Kaia would be too much.
Surely Kaia will be dangerous come Roland Garros, though…

·
Registered
59,752 Posts
her dismissing of Sharma in St Malo R1 was impressive to see
went on to reach QF , and now Paris F
can Haddad Maia stop her again? ;)

Reactions: burnt

·
Banned
Team Vika
48,082 Posts
Wow good win for her ! I had been wondering during her run in Australia (especially when it looked like she'd beat Iga) if Kaia could possibly make a run for a new career high ranking but it's looking unlikely now. Still impressive that she's having a resurgence at this age.

her dismissing of Sharma in St Malo R1 was impressive to see
went on to reach QF , and now Paris F
can Haddad Maia stop her again? ;)
I was quite impressed with her against PBG in Charleston too. BHM has gone three sets in all four of her matches this week so I would think LIU must be favored for the final.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Kanepi has too much pride to take these low level tournaments seriously. Only GS matters!

• Love
Reactions: *Jool*

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Missed the final set but Kaia was perfectly dominating the second set. Felt too quick the way match completed. Probably ran out of gas in the end. Hopefully not some injury. First time watching Liu, she has a good counterpunching game and a decent serve.

Nice preparation for Kaia, she's on the brick of top 40 after a long time and she has virtually nothing to defend for the rest of the season. Proud for what she has managed at this stage of her career, she's soon to be 37.

·
Banned
36,918 Posts
Oh no - in the 3rd set Kaia’s mind must have raced ahead to her upcoming FO QF. She lost focus, and the match :sad:

·
Registered
47,121 Posts
I would have been happy with either outcome, but Claire probably needed it more. She has lost quite some points lately and it is good to see her bounce back right away. I sadly believe she doesn’t enjoy being outside of the US too much so hopefully results like these will change that.

Hopefully Kaia uses next week to recharge and keeps her good form for RG.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
She's ranked 21st in the race to WTA finals playing zero ITF tournament but nvm
She’s played a $25K, as recently as 7 months ago… don’t get so haughty. It’s a known fact she has played many many tournaments well below her ranking just to vulture easy ass points. I still like her, and at her age, she can do whatever the hell she wants.

Reactions: textenfan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts