Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By far the biggest title of Danielle's career, and it earns her points that will get her to a new career high ranking and closer to the top 100 than ever before.

Danielle was serving at 3-4 ad-out in the second set and just stepped it up from there, blasting winners from both wings and getting an early break in the third.

Danielle hits a massive ball off the forehand and the backhand, and she is a lot of fun to watch when she is on. On top of that, she is extremely fiery on court, adding another element of entertainment. I hope she becomes a WTA regular this year, because she could shake it up. Don't forget her taking a set off of Halep at the US Open way back in 2014, when she was still in college.

Great week for Zhuk too, but she was just overpowered today. I hope she makes her top 100 debut this year!

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I like both players and caught bits on a stream but not enough to comment on the match. Saw Zhuk was 4-3 up in the second set and assumed she would go on to win it. Great week for both as you say and Zhuk is now one of her CHR at 140 so good signs there as well.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Danielle can be REALLY good!!! She had some very weird and very one sided losses last year. Let’s hope she’s getting more consistent and can break Top 100 soon

·
always getting what i want
18,244 Posts
Congrats Danielle! Sofya :hug: Her time will come.

·
Registered
37,499 Posts
Sonya needs to do some weights, her shots are a bit lightweight given her aggressive mentality. Still an awesome, career-best week for her and she definitely looks headed for Top 100 soon :)

Collins hits such a solid ball. She has very easy power and consistent depth. If she sorts out her fitness and serve she can go pretty far, definitely has a lot more weapons than other college graduates like Gibbs and Ahn.

·
18,244 Posts

·
Registered
43,700 Posts
Pretty much guarantee the Indian Wells main draw wc
I thought the "race" for those WC only started in the second Newport/IW warm up that takes place in February?

What's the tea on all the US college girls hating Collins? Seen that mentioned a few times.
I don't know exactly why but one could gather it's because of her incredibly off-putting attitude and personality. I hear that she's a complete B**** and her on-court antics can't help but back that up.

·
Art & Futures
20,620 Posts
I thought the "race" for those WC only started in the second Newport/IW warm up that takes place in February?

I don't know exactly why but one could gather it's because of her incredibly off-putting attitude and personality. I hear that she's a complete B**** and her on-court antics can't help but back that up.

Was rooting for Sofya. Though it's kind of nice to see another college girl doing well on the tour. Ironically enough, she's #120 in the rankings and Gibbs is #119.
sounds like more drama for the main tour. :laugh2: :cheer:

·
18,244 Posts
Who is the best player ever to come out of the college system btw?

·
Registered
37,499 Posts

Was rooting for Sofya. Though it's kind of nice to see another college girl doing well on the tour. Ironically enough, she's #120 in the rankings and Gibbs is #119.
It seems very possible based on what I've seen of her matches, but do you have any receipts out of curiosity or is it literally just word of mouth?

·
Premium Member
23,740 Posts

·
Registered
43,700 Posts
It seems very possible based on what I've seen of her matches, but do you have any receipts out of curiosity or is it literally just word of mouth?
I don't have any receipts, no. But there are a number of people here that follow college tennis way closer than I do and may know of something. Juki being one of them but he didn't comment on it.
@Demosthenes @Randy

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I've only read people mention this in passing on TF (but people who know what they're talking about). I don't know anything else, which is why I asked.

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been watching Collins since I first saw her at the USTA Clay Court Championships back in 2012, which she won, and then followed her through college. She was a top recruit and started at the University of Florida, almost always a top-5 women's team in the US, and she really didn't get along with the coach or the team and was always playing in the lower part of the line-up, if at all. After her first year, she transferred to University of Virginia, which was a strong program with good recruits for a few years and where her boyfriend at the time was on the men's team, and in her three years there, she won the NCAA singles title two out of her three years, joining other two-time NCAA champs like Lisa Raymond, Nicole Gibbs, and Laura Granville. While she had a great relationship with the coaches at UVA, she didn't seem especially close to many people on the team, especially Julia Elbaba, who was the other top player at the time.

From what I can tell, there are two things that contribute to Danielle's sometimes testy relationships with other players. First, she focuses on herself and her game above all else, both on and off court. I've never seen her being outwardly rude or hostile to any opponents, but she gets very fired up on court, which players sometimes interpret as hostility. I remember her playing Vickery in the fall, and they exchanged words after the match, when Collins thought Vickery wasn't going to shake her hand, due to what ended up seeming like a miscommunication. I also watched her lose to Ahn in the final of one of the USTA AO WC tournaments, and she said really nice things about Kristie after the match. The other contributing factor is how vocal she is on court, which can annoy players for sure.

She has a huge game, based around booming groundstrokes on both sides, similar to past NCAA stars like Chelsey Gullickson or Mallory Burdette. That said, she is much fitter than either of those two women, and I think she has a great shot of breaking into the top 100 this year. It would be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Well done Danielle :hearts:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts