11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SINGLES

Zi Yan (Chn)
d. Suzanne Van Hartingsveldt (Ned) 6-4 6-7 (12-10) 7-5 :D

Nan-Nan Liu (Chn) d. Patty Van Acker (Bel) 6-4 6-1 :D

-----

No surprises here. ;)
I'm very pleased with their performances this week, Zi finally lost a set, while Nan-Nan has hardly raised a sweat all week.

Good luck to both girls in the final. :bounce:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
OMG! Nan Nan!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Too bad for Patty though.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
Thanks for the results danker :) . Good result from Nan Nan against a player in the 300 spot.

Great fight from Zi. This will certainly give her a lot of extra confidence!

Can't cheer for anyone in the final :( ;) . Maybe a little bit for Nan Nan though :) . She has a wonderful smile :D .

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
Patty :(

and Suzanne :sad:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Danker/Steve Asian experts;) will Yan give Nan Nan trouble? I'm hoping Nan Nan can win this.:)

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KC, my humble opinion. ;)

I do feel that Zi has the potential to push Nan-Nan, but at this moment in time, Nan-Nan is the more experienced and her ability to beat everybody easily this week raises little doubt regarding her form.

Zi is only 17 years and 2 months old and this is her first non-Asian event (also for Nan-Nan). She only played 6 tourneys last year, capturing wins over Ka-Po Tong, Eun-Ha Kim, Li Ting, Haruka Inoue, etc with practically no experience and also lost in the last rd of qualies at Shanghai losing to Yoon-Jeong Cho 4-6 4-6. We're going to hear a lot more of her in the future, I can assure you that.

I'm confident Nan-Nan would have made the Top 200 at the end of last year if she played more than 10 tourneys. Nan-Nan improved her rank from the 1000s to about 400 in a matter of one week when she came from qualifying to win a $25K event in February beating Akiko Morigami, Rika Fujiwara, etc. She also qualified at Bali, losing to eventual champion, Angie Widjaja in the 1st rd. ;) I predict a Top 150 finish at the end of the year for her, but only if she plays a full schedule.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
Can't agree more with Master Luke :) ;) .

Don't know much about Zi I must confess. But yes, Nan Nan is the girl in shape for the moment. She had pushed Widjaja upto her limits in the tie-break of the second set last year in Bali (Angie had won 9-7).

She has the trademark of Chinese players : flat play with quite some power (like Na). She was clearly the fav of the Chinese coach last year in Vietnam. She looked very serious in her training and attentive to her coaches. Which is not always the case of all players :rolleyes: . So she not only has the talent to make it, but also the will.

According to some data, she will be 19 in June this year. so her career has started now and this year should be the year when she should bring some more attention to her.

Given her present results, I would believe she should be able to make it in 2 sets.

I hope she'll evolve soon to $25,000 and $50,000 tourneys as there are not many points to make from $10,000 ITF tourneys. Her ranking should be sufficient now for her to have a D.A. in $25,000 events.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Thanks for your opinions, they both are still so young. Good luck Nan Nan!!:bounce:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts