Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Question for you guys.
What would you prefer???
Kim standing on the #1 spot? or
Kim winning her first Grandslam?

And please tell me why.....

· Registered
100 Posts
I would rather see her winning a grand slam.

Number one is a brilliant achievement and shows consistency throughout the whole season, and it would be really good if she can manage it.

But, winning a grand slam shows consistency against the best players in the world over seven consecutive games. It's what great players are measured on and it is what players aspire to. They talk of dreaming about winning Wimbledon and the US Open, and to them it seems a lot more important than getting the No1 ranking.

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,394 Posts
Ellibeth said:

Number one is a brilliant achievement and shows consistency throughout the whole season, and it would be really good if she can manage it.

But, winning a grand slam shows consistency against the best players in the world over seven consecutive games. It's what great players are measured on and it is what players aspire to. They talk of dreaming about winning Wimbledon and the US Open, and to them it seems a lot more important than getting the No1 ranking.
I second this.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
Ellibeth said:

And I third this!

12,394 Posts

· Registered
11,975 Posts
Gs

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Both are great achievements, but what players dream of are winning majors. When they (and we) are young, they dream of holding up the Wimbledon plate or the U.S. Open trophy. The majors are how the greats are measured.

Both things are incredible achievements, but I would rather see Kim win a major than be #1.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Oh - just realized the option is "winning her first Grand Slam." A "Grand Slam" is winning all 4 majors in the same year; did you mean that? Then that clearly is more impressive than #1!!

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I didn't mean that....
For instance would you like her getting her #1 spot tonight or Winning the US open???

12,394 Posts
kim&lleyton said:
No I didn't mean that....
For instance would you like her getting her #1 spot tonight or Winning the US open???
I knew what you were talking about ;)

(jason: I thought we used GS-title for every of the slams apart? :confused: I mean: if that's not correct, then a lot of people on this forum must be using it wrongly... could you explain it pls?)

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I can't because i don't understand you.....

· Registered
2,570 Posts
majo - When Steffi Graf won all 4 majors in 1988, that was called the Grand Slam. Each one of those is a major.

I think "Grand Slam" is now used to describe the singular tournaments (like the U.S. Open), but technically, the "Grand Slam" is winning all 4 majors in the same year.

12,394 Posts
jenglisbe said:
majo - When Steffi Graf won all 4 majors in 1988, that was called the Grand Slam. Each one of those is a major.

I think "Grand Slam" is now used to describe the singular tournaments (like the U.S. Open), but technically, the "Grand Slam" is winning all 4 majors in the same year.
okies, thank you :) :wavey:

· Registered
4,477 Posts
Ellibeth said:

Well, I don't fully agree.

Winning one grand slam now or the number one spot... I pick the number one because:
-Kim now writes history in Belgium; nothing can undo this at all: she is the first Belgian ever who won not only the Masters last year as first ever, but also is now the first Belgian to gain the number one ranking. That I think is very important and will remain in all sports history files.

-Kim can win grand slams and I think she will win one soon, if not this year, hopefully next year. So I'd rather see her on the number one ranking now and take a slam later :D

· Registered
8,599 Posts
Being number 1!!

Why:

Look what an exclusive club it is - only 12 since the ranking system started in 1975.

Winning a slam is terrific, but it is not as significant as being number 1. Without at all meaning to be detrimental to conchita martinez, that is an example I would use to demonstrate that you can win one slam and then win nothing else really significant in your career - who regards conchita as an all time great? she's a great player, but I would argue that being number 1 is the better achievement.

PS: obviously I also want Kim to win a slam but, c'mon, lets not put too much pressure on her already this week?

· Registered
125 Posts
I think she would like it best if she has both! Go KIM!! Good Luck at the USO!! Congrats on getting to the fourth round

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.