Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't imagine 2 NIKE sponsored Volleyball teams playing each other wearing the same outfit.
So why does NIKE put tennis fans through this? It's boring to treat these girls like twin sisters.
Should we organize a Twitter Million Fans March against NIKE to let them know they outfits suck?

·
Registered
16,240 Posts
Y'all deserve the uniforms if you accept the monopolist hegemony of Nike.

I'd rather fan-march for diversity of brands (where's Reebok, where's Puma, Ellesse etc etc) because that means diversity of designers and less dependence on Nike's mega sweatshops. I even prefer the embracing of boutique work à la Camila Giorgi's mom. At least you are 100% confident that Cami's camisoles are not made by a child in Asia.

It's actually a missed opportunity. Women's tennis is a high profile individual sport. Tennis pros could wear all kind of things and thereby promote all kind of worthy stuff, like independent designer labels, organic fashion, system dressing and so on and so forth... the list is endless - limited only by their creative instincts and imagination. They could do that at least in-between their sponsorship contracts. but then never do it. Greedy bots.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
It has to start with the players, why are they signing with this garbage company?

These pale yellow and blue outfits for the NA hard court season are the worst ever, the Nike players should be embarrassed.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It has to start with the players, why are they signing with this garbage company?

These pale yellow and blue outfits for the NA hard court season are the worst ever, the Nike players should be embarrassed.
Andreescu’s protest to that was winning in red, white, and black ?

·
Registered
40,194 Posts
Y'all deserve the uniforms if you accept the monopolist hegemony of Nike.

I'd rather fan-march for diversity of brands (where's Reebok, where's Puma, Ellesse etc etc) because that means diversity of designers and less dependence on Nike's mega sweatshops. I even prefer the embracing of boutique work à la Camila Giorgi's mom. At least you are 100% confident that Cami's camisoles are not made by a child in Asia.

It's actually a missed opportunity. Women's tennis is a high profile individual sport. Tennis pros could wear all kind of things and thereby promote all kind of worthy stuff, like independent designer labels, organic fashion, system dressing and so on and so forth... the list is endless - limited only by their creative instincts and imagination. They could do that at least in-between their sponsorship contracts. but then never do it. Greedy bots.
This. :drool:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
No.

Just don't buy it.

They must have a strategy where they want people to see a particular outfit and not two of their outfits at the same time.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts

Because its one of the biggest sports apparel companies in the World and has deep pockets. For becoup bucks, they'll wear anything Nike asks them to.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Nike is an abomination and should leave tennis alone. It has made the sport uglier for far too long. The moment they came up with these ridiculous Agassi outfits in the 80s they should have kicked them out to where they belong. Sadly they have too much $$ and influence now that they can get away with any monstrosity. They are just like Disney that destroys billion $$ franchises and just gets bigger.

Damn you Michael Jordan.:(

·
Banned
45 Posts
I can't imagine 2 NIKE sponsored Volleyball teams playing each other wearing the same outfit.
So why does NIKE put tennis fans through this? It's boring to treat these girls like twin sisters.
Should we organize a Twitter Million Fans March against NIKE to let them know they outfits suck?
:laugh2: 1 million of Americans. Prides...

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Andreescu’s protest to that was winning in red, white, and black ?
Hope she hasn't signed a long term deal with Nike and is looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So, you have a choice, you can eizher vear ze blue skirt with ze gold top, or ze gold top with ze blue skirt, totally up to you.

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
Nike is an abomination and should leave tennis alone. It has made the sport uglier for far too long. The moment they came up with these ridiculous Agassi outfits in the 80s they should have kicked them out to where they belong. Sadly they have too much $$ and influence now that they can get away with any monstrosity. They are just like Disney that destroys billion $$ franchises and just gets bigger.

Damn you Michael Jordan.:(
That's globalisation for you - and we're all supposed to love it.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
If you gotta pay coaches, travel, hotels, etc. you're going to take the biggest bucks and Nike is likely the one to provide it. Can't fault the players for that. Can fault Nike for making all their athletes dress identical :p

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have always hated the samey outfits.

I was showing a relative highlights of the Keys/Halep match from Cinci and they were both wearing the same thing!
Since it was a highlight video they were also shifting position quickly between top and bottom of the screen.
I couldn't say that the one in such an outfit was Halep and the other was Keys because they were twins on the court.

He did mix them up too.
He just has a casual interest in tennis and isn't a big fan but he'll oblige me if I tell him a result or show him a match.
The uniform just made things more confusing.

Big corporations and mass production tend to standardize everything.
They standardize people too because we often end up working for them and then you're molded into the expected personality or else.
It is the way it is until a collapse and that isn't pleasant either since we have come to rely on them to satisfy essential human needs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts