Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grass season starts with a random surprise in Doubles. Nicole and Kveta started really well and adapted much better, but suddenly started leaking some errors. Quite a disappointment after their QF in Paris.

What a win for Lesia and Yafan though. You always wonder how these pairs come about. :lol:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
They were down 0-6 0-2 :eek:

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
So Lesia and Yafan lead the race to 2020 Olympic Doubles at this moment each with 60 points.

·
Stanning for Andi
21,217 Posts
Aside from Brisbane and Roland Garros, Melichar/Peschke are having an absolutely terrible season. They are only ninth in the race to the YEC which is poor given the lack of steady teams on the tour.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Peschke is 44 still playing is incredible already

·
Registered
35,862 Posts
I hate to say this, but it might be time for Melichar to find a new partner after this year. The fact that Kveta is still playing at this level is incredible, but she'll be 44 next month and naturally going to be on the decline. They've had some great results this year, but have also lost in R1 for 9 of the 14 events they've played. Maybe a Melichar/Dabrowski or Melichar/Schuurs pairing?

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
I actually really like this team (mostly for legend Kveta) but they seemingly never have good results. :hysteric: Just the one deep run here and there to keep them together (like Brisbane, or the Prague final a few weeks ago). They seem to get along so well though - perhaps the Czech connection - and the best result on their ranking is the Wimbledon final.

I wonder what will happen after they try to defend those points, maybe Melichar will start looking towards the Olympics. Kveta too, given how many good doubles players the Czechs have at the moment.

Tsurenko and Yafan is such an unexpected team.

·
Registered
32,478 Posts
I wonder what will happen after they try to defend those points, maybe Melichar will start looking towards the Olympics. Kveta too, given how many good doubles players the Czechs have at the moment.

Tsurenko and Yafan is such an unexpected team.
Will Kveta even get a spot if she falls out of the top ten? Siniakova and Krejcikova are more or less guaranteed and Strycova will team up with Vondrousova or Pliskova.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
Will Kveta even get a spot if she falls out of the top ten? Siniakova and Krejcikova are more or less guaranteed and Strycova will team up with Vondrousova or Pliskova.
I'm not even sure how the eligibility works for Olympic doubles to be honest but you're possibly right, I was more just thinking of what the 'final goal' might be for Kveta. Wimbledon last year may have been her last good chance at winning a slam. She always liked grass the most anyway.

There are indeed a lot of Czech girls though, Siniakova/Krejcikova, i'm assuming you're right about Barbie and Vondrousova after their AO SF run (unless Andie is back and begs to team with Babs), I think if possible Pliskova would team up with her sister. But then there's still Kveta, Hlavackova (if she's back from maternity leave) and Hradecka (I can't even remember why she and Andie split up after all their success together)...

·
Stanning for Andi
21,217 Posts
I'm not even sure how the eligibility works for Olympic doubles to be honest but you're possibly right, I was more just thinking of what the 'final goal' might be for Kveta. Wimbledon last year may have been her last good chance at winning a slam. She always liked grass the most anyway.

There are indeed a lot of Czech girls though, Siniakova/Krejcikova, i'm assuming you're right about Barbie and Vondrousova after their AO SF run (unless Andie is back and begs to team with Babs), I think if possible Pliskova would team up with her sister. But then there's still Kveta, Hlavackova (if she's back from maternity leave) and Hradecka (I can't even remember why she and Andie split up after all their success together)...
I don't think Peschke is particularly motivated by the Olympics. Remember she gave her spot in 2012 to Hlavackova who went on to win silver with Hradecka. Also didn't play in Rio 2016.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts