Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 746 Posts

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
From a post-match interview with WTA Insider:

On playing Pliskova: Actually, I knew that it's going to be tough because I don't get rhythm from her. You never know what to expect for the next point. So it's a bit of tension. But I knew these things. I just had to stay patient for every ball and to keep fighting because I knew that if I stay there for every ball, she can miss more than me.

On what she's pleased with so far this week: Actually, I think with the serve because I am improving a lot. Now I already got the rhythm a little bit, the timing. I don't serve very strong, but it's better that I can put the first serve more into the court. My percentage is higher than normally. I move well. I feel good. I can run a lot. So, yeah, everything is going in the right way now - finally.

Q. A fan wants to know a funny story you've had with Darren.
SIMONA HALEP: Funny story? You know I'm boring, so... Can I think and I'll tell you tomorrow? I'm coming anyway.

Q. Talking about the serve. Have you and Darren made technical changes to your serve?
SIMONA HALEP: I'm not telling you this. It's a secret (smiling).

Q. Mentally are you just approaching your serve differently?
SIMONA HALEP: Mentally, yes. I changed something just before this tournament. It's not easy because I need time to get used to it. I serve pretty well these days, also in doubles. Actually doubles helped me a lot in this tournament. Yeah, I'm just trying to believe more in my serve now.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Serve serve serve.. so she got no.2 in the world with no serve then.. :rolleyes:
Her real problem is getting stressed and tight in big matches, its not her serve. I hope she respects her problem and works on it.
Today may get tricky vs Sveta because its QF and the stress monster may rise its ugly head again.
See?.. I can make a negative post just like gewa76. My cup is only 90% full, its not the whole 100% :p

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
lol, don't be naive, these are just tabloids spreading fake bombshells...

All those "journals" were going after an allegation of Halep's granny (her father's mom) who said she thinks Simona will marry somebody from her ethnic group.
It's an old tradition in their families to marry someone having the same ethnicity... still lately this is no more respected 100%.
Don't know (and really don't care) if Simona is that traditionalist but I remember she said once or twice she will look to rise a family around the end of her career (most likely in her early 30's) so it's hardly unlikely for Halep to get married in the next few years.

OTOH her granny never stated Simona is going to marry this year; it's just a few cheap tabloids who invented this "breaking news" in order to sell their papers or to get a lot of clicks on their sites. They produce such fake gossips almost every day with all kind of public persons...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
News | WTA Tennis English

Simona Halep

On missing the Olympic tennis event:

I was very disappointed that I had to decide not to go there, but it was much better for my health. It's not easy for me to travel a lot and eat in different places, but it was definitely a great Olympics in Romania because they made the men's doubles final. I'm disappointed, but I'll prepare myself for Tokyo! We can say Olympic tennis is not like gymnastics, but there you go to play for your country and winning a medal means a lot for any athlete. I played once already in London and I enjoyed the feeling of being there and the Opening Ceremonies.

On watching Olympic sports and Monica Puig's Gold Medal run:

I watched everything. In gymnastics, Simone [Biles] is whoah, incredible. I also watched Phelps. I know everything now. I watched the tennis final and Monica Puig played so well; she was there to win. I saw what she was saying on Twitter - I'm more into Twitter lately - how she was very motivated and confident. It was only shocking because of the ranking, but she plays well.

On moving to a warmer training base:

Nothing is for sure, but I think I'm at a level where I have to change some things to be more professional. I have to go somewhere warmer that's better for tennis. I think I'll go in December because it's cold in Romania, and I get cold all the time!

On how she feels she is perceived in Romania:

They don't realize because they don't see me. They don't know how hard I work every day, or how I'm practicing and playing matches even when I don't feel good. They just see the matches and think all I do is go shopping, which I do sometimes, but not that often!

On inspiring young children to play tennis:

I've heard many kids have gone into tennis because of me. I think this is a good thing in our country; it's a small country. I think it's better for kids because these days they're always with the tablets and phones. I have kids in my family who are two years old who already have a phone. So I give them a racquet instead of a phone!

1 - 20 of 746 Posts