TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Australian Open (https://www.tennisforum.com/179-australian-open/)
-   -   Congrats to Martina and Sveta! (https://www.tennisforum.com/179-australian-open/52902-congrats-martina-sveta.html)

marsha Jan 16th, 2003 04:09 AM

Congrats to Martina and Sveta!

through their first round in doubles in three sets!

Keep it going, team!!!

(BTW, Zummi, MJF said Martina has 167/167 titles -- was she wrong?

Zummi Jan 16th, 2003 04:29 AM

Marsha, she was right. It is 167/167!

Congrats to Martina & Sveta. I really thought they were out of it when they trailed 1-3 in the final set and Casanova/Pratt had another breakpoint to go up 4-1. But the ladies recovered to score this hard-fought win. Sveta had to call the trainer after the first set so I hope she doesn't have a serious injury or anything. Martina got into a new pair of shorts after losing the first set and it looked like that helped too :)

Go ladies!

marsha Jan 16th, 2003 01:42 PM

Hey Zummi -- I just knew you would jump on this thread! :)

Where did you *see* the match -- were you there or was it on TV somewhere? Either way, lucky you! I was worried about the match, as Prattie is obviously playing very well (her win over the 13th seed showed that! *and* she is "at home") so, as you say, a very good win. Hopefully Sveta is OK -- do you remember who they should play next??

Gooooooooooo, team!!!!

Zummi Jan 17th, 2003 02:49 AM

Marsha, I "saw" the match on the live scores page :) They next play Alice Canepa & Milagros Sequera. If they win, that would be their last one b/c they would then play Serena & Venus :(

I'm not sure if you read this already, Marsha, but Martina said in her interview that when Arantxa announced her retirement, Martina heard from Iroda that she wasn't sure if she could play singles & doubles at the AO. So Martina figured Sveta would also not have a partner, and called Emilio and spoke with him and then Sveta about playing doubles. That's how it worked out.

SM Jan 17th, 2003 03:35 AM

they showed the last set on tv in aus. and it was the first time i saw martina play live so enjoyed that. She looked impressive for her age but no surprise cos i did see her train in Syd. and she was looking great.

btw- Sveta looks to have a very good future, strong and built like a 'bull dog' according to marti ;), and getting better at playing in the forecourt...

saki Jan 17th, 2003 11:06 AM

I thought it was 168 doubles titles after the recent one?

marsha Jan 17th, 2003 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zummi
They next play Alice Canepa & Milagros Sequera. If they win, that would be their last one b/c they would then play Serena & Venus :(

Well I don't know, Zummi, I think they might at least have a "chance" against Wmsx2!!! But the match against Canepa/Sequera should be good -- and should be today, right?

Thanks for the little story on how they formed a partnership -- great story! I really think Sveta is "the" one for Martina! :) :) :)

Zummi Jan 18th, 2003 02:45 AM

Yes, Marsha, that match is today. I think I'll stay up for that too!

I really hope this partnership with Sveta works. I was reading the transcripts of their press conference and I thought this was cute:

Quote:

Q. Has Aranxta been a mentor to you?

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: She was in my mentor program now. In Sanex, they do a program. If you are not 18 and you are in Top 100, you have to choose a mentor. You have to choose one player who's close to you and who's retired. So I was supposed to take someone in US Open, but I didn't find no one. I ask for Martina, other players, no one could help me. So after she retire, she could help me.
Looks like it took no time for Arantxa to help out with the Player Development program! I wonder who Martina's going to get next after Daniela Hantuchova graduates (her previous "mentees" have been Olga Barabanschikova & Mirjana Lucic).

marsha Jan 18th, 2003 01:48 PM

Well it's nice to see Arantxa "getting back to work" *LOL* And it will be fun to see who Martina's next "mentee" is! :)

Congrats to "our gals" for their decisive victory last (LATE) night -- now on to the Williams! If they could get this match, man, they would have it made in the shade!!! Best of luck to them -- goooo team! :) :) :)

Experimentee Jan 18th, 2003 02:29 PM

They showed the match on tv tonight, and Sveta/Nav looked impressive! They rolled all over their opponents, who i have to admit werent very good and were never going to challenge them. Still they played well but I dont think they will beat the Williams sisters.