TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Community Help (https://www.tennisforum.com/53-community-help/)
-   -   Ban the damn Gifs! (https://www.tennisforum.com/53-community-help/382718-ban-damn-gifs.html)

mure Jun 20th, 2009 03:51 PM

Ban the damn Gifs!

Look,most of the times this forum is as slow as it gets,and some of us(well me at least) don't have a fast connection.As if this wasn't there is an annoying trend lately of posting some random gifs that take centuries to load.I wouldn't mind a specific off topic thread,but when some idiot posts them in a game thread and another idiot quotes them or even worse replies with another bigger one,it's freakin impossible to navigate through the pages.It's annoying,it's stupid,it's spamming.and most of the times they aren't even tennis related,just some random trash hollywood movie scenes...do sth about it.....thank u

Agape Jun 20th, 2009 04:54 PM

Re: Ban the damn Gifs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mure (Post 15910719)
Look,most of the times this forum is as slow as it gets,and some of us(well me at least) don't have a fast connection.As if this wasn't there is an annoying trend lately of posting some random gifs that take centuries to load.I wouldn't mind a specific off topic thread,but when some idiot posts them in a game thread and another idiot quotes them or even worse replies with another bigger one,it's freakin impossible to navigate through the pages.It's annoying,it's stupid,it's spamming.and most of the times they aren't even tennis related,just some random trash hollywood movie scenes...do sth about it.....thank u

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...vatars/t10.gif

mckyle. Jun 20th, 2009 07:44 PM

I think there is an option where you can block all images. If you have a slow connection, then all of the avatars and banners are also slowing down the page uploading, not just the gifs.

Just Do It Jun 20th, 2009 07:57 PM

Gifs are indeed making this board even slower than it is. I think gifs should be banned at least in GM.

Ksenia. Jun 20th, 2009 08:14 PM

OMG people :tape: Gain some respect and put away your "smartassness". A person complains about gifs and you post them, that's so mature :rolleyes:

Dodoboy. Jun 20th, 2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niya (Post 15912004)
OMG people :tape: Gain some respect and put away your "smartassness". A person complains about gifs and you post them, that's so mature :rolleyes:

I agree

Kart Jun 20th, 2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mure (Post 15910719)

Go to your User cp.

Click on Edit Options.

Scroll down and unclick Show Images.

Save.

This will show all pictures as links rather than the full images which should speed up your loading time - or at least it worked for me.

As to whether we should do something about GIFs, let's see how it goes for the time being.

I do agree that some posters spam random threads with completely unrelated images and it can be annoying but that may be a transient thing as it's just the in thing to do on here at the moment and it may pass when they get bored of it. I wouldn't say it's a practice that's out of control at the moment.

GIFs a pretty new thing (on here) and generally popular so it would be a bit harsh to get rid of them altogether. Though, if there is a large volume of complaints I suppose we could look into limiting their use to particular forums in the first instance.

Nicolas Jun 20th, 2009 09:06 PM

that would mean to ban all the brainless spammers!!! Great! :D i can't wait

homogenius Jun 21st, 2009 01:44 AM

Bar 2 or 3 posters who seem to only be able to express themself with gifs (and always the same unrelated ones : the GG's gifs are getting OLD))atm ,I find it rather funny.At least, tennis gifs should be allowed imo.

mckyle. Jun 21st, 2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homogenius (Post 15913721)
Bar 2 or 3 posters who seem to only be able to express themself with gifs (and always the same unrelated ones : the GG's gifs are getting OLD))atm ,I find it rather funny.At least, tennis gifs should be allowed imo.

I don't know about the others, but my Gossip Girl gifs are always related to my response and allow me to show my emotions in something other than words and smilies.

Lefty. Jun 21st, 2009 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodoboy. (Post 15912113)
I agree

Rather contradictory to your posting of a gif as a reply in this thread and then deleting it isn't it? :p

ElusiveChanteuse Jun 21st, 2009 06:59 AM

Kingsley got pawned.:haha: :tape:
I saw it too.:p

sammy01 Jun 21st, 2009 12:48 PM

they are annoying, and it doesn't say much about the poster if they cant express themselves without using a GIF.

Petkorazzi Jun 21st, 2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodoboy. (Post 15912113)
I agree

:haha: Get a grip.

Dodoboy. Jun 21st, 2009 01:17 PM

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...64-100-100.gif

:angel:

Guilty as charged - gifs are just a better version of smilies (emoticons) :shrug: