TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Team USA (https://www.tennisforum.com/204-team-usa/)
-   -   The Future of American Tennis (https://www.tennisforum.com/204-team-usa/359767-future-american-tennis.html)

simonsaystennis Oct 13th, 2008 01:40 AM

The Future of American Tennis

So I know this has been a big topic of discussion and concern over the past year among fans and commentators. Who will be the next star(s) of American tennis? Let's face it, we haven't had anyone stellar come out and really make a name for themselves since the Williams sisters. Davenport and Capriati had big success later in their careers, but there hasn't really been a younger player there to take the reigns from the WS.

My question for everyone is how much longer do you think we will have to wait for the next great American player to emerge? I am really worried that we're going to have a dark period in American tennis for a few years after the WS and Davenport retire.

I'm hoping Oudin, Vandeweghe, Brengle, and Muhammed rise to their potential, but I am worried. What does everyone else think?

auntie janie Oct 13th, 2008 03:02 PM

Re: The Future of American Tennis

Brengle reminds me a little of Harkleroad, but not as hard-working -- maybe top 50 for her.

Oudin, top 25-40. She hasn't got the size, unfortunately.

Coco, maybe top 10, but thanks to her late start and an all-court game which takes longer to develop, don't expect anything huge in the next couple of years. She'll be a late-bloomer.

Asia is the biggest wild card of the group. I think should enter a university and play at NCAA level for a while, and only then if she keeps improving, try the life of a pro. She could end up doing as well as the others but I don't think she should turn pro now, the way Oudin did. A program like Stanford would be great for her.

hammerhead Oct 13th, 2008 08:07 PM

Here's the list of American teens in rank order with age noted. Any possibilities for any of these players to be Top 50? I sure hope so cuz top players don't come out of nowhere! (I love tennis, but it's kinda scary that we're talking about people like Vandeweghe who is 17 and barely ranked under 500 as one of our best hopes :help:)

Under 300
King (19)
Albanese (19)
Oudin (17)
Glatch (19)
Brengle (18)

Under 400
Couts (19)
Muhammad (17)

Under 500
J. Cohen (19)
Ch. Gullickson (18)
Ahn (16)
Brodsky (17)
Cecil (18)
Stephens (15)
McHale (16)
Vandeweghe (17)

Cat's Pajamas Oct 13th, 2008 09:14 PM

King, Albanese, Glatch (and unfortunately I'm starting to believe Brengle and Couts as well) are all unfulfilled potential that will never reach the level we thought they might. Maybe they can all reach Top 50 and I'm sure Vania did already, but she has sunk so low I have no idea what happened to her 2006 Fall season form.

Melanie Oudin is sure playing like she has a future, but I just don't know if her physical stature could propel her to Top 10 status. She just doesn't posses the power IMO, but there have been exceptions..look at Jankovic.

Asia is so inconsistent, I just don't know where she can go. Chelsey Gullickson has shown great ability at the ITF level but she barely ever plays, so I don't know what the deal is with her. Julia Cohen is never going to amount to anything. Kristie Ahn showed amazing potential at the US Open, so we'll just have to wait and see. Cecil, Brodsky, Stephens, & McHale are good, but I just don't think they have the talent to become top-level players.

Coco is the one player that has the potential, physique, and tools to become a top-ranked player.

hammerhead Oct 13th, 2008 09:43 PM

Thanks for the insight, CP. I guess my favs will have to be from other countries. That's ok.

Harju. Oct 14th, 2008 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerhead (Post 14241074)
(I love tennis, but it's kinda scary that we're talking about people like Vandeweghe who is 17 and barely ranked under 500 as one of our best hopes :help:)

:lol: hammerhead strikes again. obsessed much?
CoCo just won US Open Jr. Want to take a guess when the last time an American won a junior Grand Slam? Plus, we've gone through this, Coco is obviously a late starter to tennis so it takes a longer time for her to get good result compared to the rest of the girls who started tennis when they were 5 or 6.

hammerhead Oct 14th, 2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harju. (Post 14242863)
:lol: hammerhead strikes again. obsessed much?
CoCo just won US Open Jr. Want to take a guess when the last time an American won a junior Grand Slam?

Yes, the last time was Tara Snyder in 1995. She really ripped it up on the Pro Tour :lol:

hammerhead Oct 15th, 2008 12:01 AM

On a more positive note, Melanie is doing really well as are Kristie Ahn and Sloane Stephens. :)