TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Team USA (https://www.tennisforum.com/204-team-usa/)
-   -   2008 Bangalore Open (https://www.tennisforum.com/204-team-usa/335497-2008-bangalore-open.html)

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:18 AM

2008 Bangalore Open

http://www.burstbeacon.com/view/9532...1894/616E7C80/

Williams’ sisters delighted to play at Bangalore Open

March 3rd, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by admin -
By Saumojyoti Singha Choudhury
Bangalore, March 3 (IANS) A possible semi-final clash between Williams sisters in the WTA Bangalore Open is a mouth-watering recipe for tennis fans, but for Venus and Serena it is a huge disappointment as they would miss the opportunity to line-up the champions and runners-up trophy in their cupboard back home. The sisters seldom play together except for Grand Slams, but tennis fans here will be fortunate to witness them together. Venus is seeded second while Serena is the third seed in $600,000 Tier II event. But their only anguish is that only one can reach the title clash as both are pitted in the lower half of the draw.
“It is disappointing that we might run into each other in the semi-finals. It would have been great if both of us meet each other in the final,” Venus told reporters here at the Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA) Monday.
Venus, the four-time Wimbledon champion, who is presently ranked 8th in WTA charts, however, said that both her and Serena’s wants to reach the semis in singles and pocket the doubles trophy as they have been handed a wildcard in the doubles event.
“Our plan is to play well and reach the singles semi-final. We are also playing doubles here and we would like to win that,” said Venus who is also a well-known fashion designer and designs her on-court outfit.
When asked about the matter, Venus promptly replied: “Both me and Serena make our own schedules. We have different managers who handle all these issues.
“When I decided to play at Bangalore, I didn’t know Serena was also playing here. Above that she (Serena) was the first to confirm her participation here.”
Eight-time grand Slam winner Serena said her focus would be to win the tournament.
“When I step in court, the only thing which is there in my mind is ‘win’ regardless of who I am playing with,” said Serena, who is on a comeback trial after a dental surgery.
Serena considers her sister as the best tennis player. “Venus is the best player according to me.”
The two sisters were delighted on their maiden visit to India. Serena was supposed to take part in the tournament last year but pulled out at the last minute because of personal problems.
“I really wanted to come last year, but unfortunately could not make it,” she said.
“We definitely like the place. It’s very pretty and the architecture is very nice. Most importantly, people are very nice here,” Venus said.

http://content.yieldmanager.edgesuit...e18a270d97.gif

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:24 AM

Re: 2008 Bangalore Open

Williams sisters register maiden win in India

March 4th, 2008 - 5:29 pm ICT by admin - http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...ages/email.gif Email This Post
By Saumojyoti Singha Choudhury
Bangalore, March 4 (IANS) Charismatic Williams sisters registered their first victory on the Indian soil, dumping Andreea Ehritt-Vanc of Romania and Tamarine Tanasugarn of Thailand in the doubles first round of the $600,000 Bangalore Open here at the Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Association (KSLTA) tennis centre Tuesday. The American sisters, who got a wild card in the doubles, took just 94 minutes to shrug off the Romanian-Thai duo’s challenge 7-6 (5), 6-4 and set up a quarterfinal clash with third seed Chinese pair of Shuai Peng and Tiantian Sun.
Venus and Serena were a little scratchy in the beginning. Being specialized singles players, their chemistry also seemed out of sorts. Both the sisters lost their opening service games of the encounter to go down 0-3 in the first set.
However, they pulled their socks up and broke back, first Tanasugarn’s serve in the fourth game and then Ehritt-Vanc’s in the sixth to level the set at 3-3.
From then onwards, it went on even terms and the set was decided on tie-breaker where the Wiiliams sisters came out on top with a 7-5 tie-break score.
As the match progressed, the sisters got better and better. Serena, especially, was immaculate with her net play.
In the second set, Ehritt-Vanc and Tamasugarn had no clue of the American sisters’ power play and were soon down 1-3, Williams sisters, who struck 10 aces in the match, broke the Romanian’s serve in the third game and did not give their opponent any opportunity to get back into the match.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/..._10023896.html

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:27 AM

Williams sisters sail into doubles second round

http://stbin.msn.com//i/C8/F02ACC6D5...A23EFECD6B.jpg

Bangalore: The Williams sisters sailed into the second round of doubles, while the singles competition also went without any major upset as seeded players lived upto their billing in their first-round matches of the WTA Bangalore Open tennis tournament here on Tuesday.

In the morning session, Israel's Tzipora Obziler faced little difficulty in beating German Angelika Bachmann 6-2 6-3.

China's Peng Shuai made short work of Anne Kremer of Luxemburg 6-1 6-2, while Sanda Mamic of Croatia defeated 67th ranked Chan Yung-Jan of Taipei 6-2 6-2.

Anastasia Rodionova of Russia got the better of Tiantian Sun of China 4-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-4. Olga Savchuk of Ukraine defeated Kaite O'Brian of England 6-4 2-6 7-5.

In doubles, the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena did not strain themselves much in beating Andrea Ehritt-Vanc (Romania) and Tamarine Tanasugarn (Thailand) 7-6 (5) 6-4.

In the first set, the Americans trailed 0-2 in the tie break but Serena won four points (4-2) to clinch the opener.

In the second they led 3-2, with a first game break. Tanasugarn was broken in the ninth game and then Venus served out the match.

In another doubles match, the Chinese duo of Chunmel Ji and Shengnan Sun rallied to beat the German-Belgian pair of Angelika Bachmann and Feys Debbrich 2-6 7-5 10-7.
http://sports.in.msn.com/tennis/stor...mentid=1272048

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:30 AM

Tennis: Obziler to play Williams
ALLON SINAI & AP , THE JERUSALEM POST Mar. 5, 2008
Tzipi Obziler will face Serena Williams in the second round of the Bangalore Open on Wednesday after defeating qualifier Angelika Bachmann 6-2, 6-3 in the first round on Tuesday.
The 34-year-old Israeli (117) has never faced either of the Williams sisters before and will have to record the biggest win of her career if she's to advance any further in India.
Williams, an eight-time Grand Slam winner and former world No. 1, is currently ranked No. 11 in the world and is playing in just her second tournament of the year in Bangalore.
The 26-year-old American, who received a first round bye, hasn't played since losing to Jelena Jankovic in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open six weeks ago.
Meanwhile, Chinese player Yan Zi shocked eighth-seeded Maria Kirilenko of Russia 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-1 in the first round on Tuesday.
Kirilenko squandered three match points in the second set and failed to convert four break points in the opening game of the deciding third set before Yan seized control.
"The second set was tough. I think Maria was tired after that, she missed a lot of strokes in the decider," Yan said.
Seventh-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia rallied from a set down to defeat Romanian qualifier Monica Niculescu 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 in another opening round contest.
Zvonareva said she had a tough time adjusting her play.
"I had to slow myself to play consistently, my shots were not working in the beginning and her spin made me work harder," she said.
Russia's Anastasia Rodionova advanced to the second round after overcoming a stiff challenge from Chinese qualifier Sun Tiantian 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4, while Agnes Szatmari of Romania hammered India's Isha Lakhani 6-2, 6-2.
In other first-round matches, Ukraine's Olga Savchuk defeated British player Katie O'Brien 6-4, 2-6, 7-5.
Chinese Peng Shuai overpowered Luxembourg's Anne Kremer 6-1, 6-2, and Croatia's Sanda Mamic carved out a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Chan Yung-jan of Taiwan.
Defending Channel Open champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia made quick work of wild card entry Marat Safin on Monday in his first-round match.
Second-seeded Hewitt needed 58 minutes for a 6-2, 6-1 victory in a rematch of the 2002 Australian Open final. Safin won that match for his second career Grand Slam title.
Hewitt, a three-time Chanel Open champion, also topped Safin in straight sets in last year's semifinals, 7-5, 6-1. This year's win gave Hewitt a 7-6 advantage in the all-time series.
"Marat is a tough guy to play because he has so much power," Hewitt said. "I mixed up my play a little bit and he struggled. But you never know with Marat. He can turn it on at anytime." Hewitt, ranked No. 24 in the ATP, set the tone for the match in the opening set when he broke Safin's first serve. He also broke Safin in the set-clinching game, where Safin committed a pair of double faults and an unforced error. Hewitt also broke Safin twice in the second set.
"The first round of any tournament is tough until you get your teeth into it," said Hewitt, who never had his serve broken and recorded seven aces. "I knew I had to be on my game from the start." Safin, of Russia, has seen limited activity this year with a torn ligament in his ankle and a viral infection.
A former world No. 1 and owner of a pair of Grand Slam titles, he has fallen to No. 87 in the rankings. Safin lost in the second round at the Australian Open in January and has played once since, falling in the first round last week in Memphis.
"I'm out of rhythm, so of course it's tough to play with someone like Lleyton Hewitt," said Safin, who committed 31 unforced errors.
Fourth-seeded Guillermo Canas defeated former Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson 6-3, 7-6 (3) in the first round of the Tennis Channel Open on Monday.
Canas, playing only his second tournament of the year after left wrist tendinitis, won the first three games in taking the first set. Johansson had to rally from an early service break to force a tiebreaker in which Canas cruised. The Argentine improved to 3-0 against Johansson.
Eighth-seeded Nicolas Kiefer, the tournament finalist four years ago, beat fellow German Benjamin Becker 6-4, 6-3 in their first matchup. Kiefer showed some rust in his first appearance on tour since his brief run at the Australian Open five weeks ago in that he lost serve three times and hit six double faults, but was still too good for Becker.
Kiefer next meets American Sam Querrey, who saved a match point and needed five of his own in a dramatic tiebreaker to subdue France's Sebastien Grosjean 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (8).
In the tiebreak, Querrey missed match points at 6-3 and 7-6, saved one at 7-8 before nailing it.
"I had to serve on his match point and worked through it," Querrey said. "Then I just kind of buckled down and made a good first serve there (on his final ace). I actually caught him really clean." It was the third time this season that Querrey has been involved in a third-set tiebreaker, and he won one for the first time. "I was kind of sick of that," he said. "It felt good to get over it." Russian Evgeny Korolev, whose semifinal run here last year remains his best ATP result, beat Argentina's Sergio Roitman 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Robby Ginepri of the United States, a semifinalist twice in the past month, continued his form when he saved two break points in the final game to edge Xavier Malisse of Belgium 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...icle%2FPrinter

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:30 AM

Williams sisters move into doubles, Indian challenge ends

http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2640

NI Wire

Bangalore

Wed, 5 Mar 2008: The sisters duo of Venus and Serena Williams made their way into the second round of doubles, while India challenge came to an end with Wild card entrant Isha Lakhani and Sunitha Rao, who paired with Austria’s Monique Adamczak, lost their qualifier and first round doubles encounter respectively in the $ 6,00,0 Canara Bank WTA Bangalore Open tennis tournament played here on Tuesday.

The first-round matches of the singles event went without any major upset as seeded players lived up to their ranking. There was disappointment for the Indians as Isha Lakhani, a wild card entrant failed to put up a fight and lost to qualifier Agnes Szatamari 2-6, 2-6.
The highlight of the day was in the doubles first round match, where Williams sisters, Venus and Serena made short work of Andrea Ehritt-Vanc (Romania) and Tamarine Tanasugarn (Thailand) 7-6 (5) 6-4.
Americans sisters’ duo went down 0-2 in the tie-break, after facing some initial resistance, but Serena won four points in a row (4-2) to seal the opening set. While in the second set they led 3-2 after breaking the serve in the very first game. Williams sisters again broke the serve in the ninth game and then Venus served out the match in their favour.
Earlier, Israel's Tzipora Obziler struggled to beat German Angelika Bachmann 6-2 6-3 in the morning session while China's Peng Shuai eased past Anne Kremer of Luxemburg 6-1 6-2.
Croatian Sanda Mamic defeated 67th ranked Chan Yung-Jan of Taipei wi tha an identical scoreline of 6-2, 6-2 while Anastasia Rodionova of Russia got the better of qualifier Tiantian Sun of China 4-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-4. Olga Savchuk of Ukraine defeated Kaite O'Brian of England 6-4 2-6 7-5.
Chinese duo of Chunmel Ji and Shengnan Sun rallied to edge past the stiff challenge of the German-Belgian pair of Angelika Bachmann and Feys Debbrich 2-6 7-5 10-7 in a doubles match.
In another doubles match, Russina duo of Anastasia Rodionova and Yaroslava Shvedova combined well to tame Austria’s Monique Adamczak and Sunitha Rao of India 6-0, 6-1 in a reasonably easy outing.
RESULTS (First Round)
Singles: Olga Savchuk (Ukr) bt Katie O’Brien (GBr) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5; Tzipora Obziler (Isr) bt Angelika Bachmann (Ger) 6-2, 6-3; Sanda Mamic (Cro) bt Yung Jan Chan (Tpe) 6-2, 6-2; Agnes Szatmari (Rou) bt Isha Lakhani (Ind) 6-2, 6-2.
Doubles: Serena Williams & Venus Williams (USA) bt Andreea Ehritt (Rou) & Tamarine Tanasugarn (Tha) 7-6(5), 6-4; Anastasia Rodionova & Yaroslava Shvedova (Rus) bt Monique Adamczak (Aus) & Sunitha Rao (Ind) 6-0, 6-1; Chunmel Ji & Shengnan Sun (CHN) Angelika Bachmann bt (Ger) & Feys Debbrich (Bel) 2-6 7-5 10-7

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:32 AM

Serena beats Obziler to reach Bangalore quarters

Wed Mar 5, 2008 10:52pm IST

http://in.reuters.com/resources/r/?m...India-323183-5

By Sanjay Rajan
BANGALORE (Reuters) - American world number 11 Serena Williams warmed up after a month-long break by beating Israeli Tzipora Obziler 7-5 6-0 at the Bangalore Open on Wednesday.
The former world number one, who was given a first round bye, advanced to the quarter-finals but was far from her dominant self in the opening set of her second-round victory.
Fourth seeded Swiss Patty Schnyder also moved into the quarter-finals with a 6-7 6-4 6-2 victory over Japan's Aiko Nakamura.
Williams, who withdrew from tournaments in February to recover from gum surgery, had trouble with her service games early on against 117th-ranked Obziler, who focused on keeping the ball in play.
"I started making so many errors and the balls kept flying about there," Williams told a news conference.
"She definitely did not give a lot of pace. She would hit a hard ball and the next point hit a soft ball. I didn't get a rhythm," added Williams, who is making her first appearance in India.
Replacing her baseball cap with a bandana did not help third-seeded Williams, 26, nor did a change of rackets, as she was stretched in the opening set of her first outing since her Australian Open quarter-final defeat.
Obziler broke her twice but Williams, drawing on her experience, broke back immediately both times.
The American admonished herself for her faulty serves in the 11th game which she just about managed to hold and wrapped up the set in the next game with a classic forehand down the line.
Williams, winner of eight grand slam singles titles, found her touch in the second set.
Williams will next meet Russian Anastasia Rodionova, who beat sixth-seeded Austrian Sybille Bammer 7-6 6-2 in the second round.
In the day's other upset, Uzbek Akgul Amanmuradova, who knocked out defending champion Yaroslava Shvedova in the first round, beat fifth-seeded Hungarian Agnes Szavay 4-6 7-6 6-4.
Amanmuradova will meet world number 12 Schnyder in the quarter-finals.
Left-handed Schnyder was stretched by Nakamura in a match lasting nearly two hours.
"The first hour I didn't feel comfortable at all but pushed her to the tiebreaker," Schnyder said.
"I served better in the second. Then I had to fight to win. "She played flat with no spin. That makes it tough to handle the balls."

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldO...080305?sp=true

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:32 AM

Serena beats Obziler to reach Bangalore quarters
(Adds Patty Schnyder quotes, byline)
By Sanjay Rajan
BANGALORE, India, March 5 (Reuters) - American world number 11 Serena Williams warmed up after a month-long break by beating Israeli Tzipora Obziler 7-5 6-0 at the Bangalore Open on Wednesday.
The former world number one, who was given a first round bye, advanced to the quarter-finals but was far from her dominant self in the opening set of her second-round victory.
Fourth seeded Swiss Patty Schnyder also moved into the quarter-finals with a 6-7 6-4 6-2 victory over Japan's Aiko Nakamura.
Williams, who withdrew from tournaments in February to recover from gum surgery, had trouble with her service games early on against 117th-ranked Obziler, who focused on keeping the ball in play.
"I started making so many errors and the balls kept flying about there," Williams told a news conference.
"She definitely did not give a lot of pace. She would hit a hard ball and the next point hit a soft ball. I didn't get a rhythm," added Williams, who is making her first appearance in India.
Replacing her baseball cap with a bandana did not help third-seeded Williams, 26, nor did a change of rackets, as she was stretched in the opening set of her first outing since her Australian Open quarter-final defeat.
Obziler broke her twice but Williams, drawing on her experience, broke back immediately both times.
The American admonished herself for her faulty serves in the 11th game which she just about managed to hold and wrapped up the set in the next game with a classic forehand down the line.
Williams, winner of eight grand slam singles titles, found her touch in the second set.
Williams will next meet Russian Anastasia Rodionova, who beat sixth-seeded Austrian Sybille Bammer 7-6 6-2 in the second round.
In the day's other upset, Uzbek Akgul Amanmuradova, who knocked out defending champion Yaroslava Shvedova in the first round, beat fifth-seeded Hungarian Agnes Szavay 4-6 7-6 6-4.
Amanmuradova will meet world number 12 Schnyder in the quarter-finals.
Left-handed Schnyder was stretched by Nakamura in a match lasting nearly two hours.
"The first hour I didn't feel comfortable at all but pushed her to the tiebreaker," Schnyder said.
"I served better in the second. Then I had to fight to win. "She played flat with no spin. That makes it tough to handle the balls."

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breaking...360477,00.html

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:33 AM

Serena reaches Bangalore quarterfinals
  • <LI class=cnnHiliteHeader _extended="true">Story Highlights <LI _extended="true">Third seed Serena Williams reaches the quarterfinals of the Bangalore Open
    <LI _extended="true">The eight-time Grand Slam champion defeats Tzipora Obziler of Israel 7-5 6-0
    <LI _extended="true">Fifth seed Agnes Szavay and sixth seed Sybille Bammer both sent crashing
  • Next Article in World Sport &#187;
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/...l/1x1pixel.gif
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/...rner_dg_BL.gif
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/...rner_dg_TL.gif
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/.../text_size.gif
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/.../txt_minus.gif http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/..._minus_dn_.gif
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/...s/txt_plus.gif http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/...xt_plus_dn.gif

BANGALORE, India -- Serena Williams has reached the quarterfinals of the Bangalore Open after an error-filled win over Tzipora Obziler of Israel on Wednesday.
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/SPORT/03....serena.gi.jpg Serena reached the quarterfinals in Bangalore despite admitting she is not 100 per cent fit.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/...er_wire_BL.gif

The eight-time Grand Slam champion, seeded third and given a bye in the first round, beat Obziler 7-5 6-0 in her first singles appearance on Indian soil.
"I am happy to be in India and playing because, to be frank, I am not feeling 100 per cent fit," said the world number 10.
"It took me time to settle down. I started making some errors and the balls were flying. She definitely gave a lot of pace, but she was not consistent and I did not get my rhythm."
Williams missed both the Paris and Antwerp Opens last month to undergo dental surgery.
Top seed Jelena Jankovic of Serbia and number two Venus Williams, who also got first round byes, will be in action on Thursday in India's richest tennis event.
Meanwhile, fourth seed Patty Schnyder of Switzerland survived a scare from Aiko Nakamura of Japan before advancing to the quarterfinals.
Schnyder dropped the first set on the tie-breaker, but recovered in time to take the next two sets at 6-4 6-2 in a two-hour battle.
However, two seeded players, number five Agnes Szavay of Hungary and number six Sybille Bammer of Austria, were knocked out in the second round.
Akgul Amanmuradova of Uzbekistan served 16 aces as she came from behind to defeat Szavay 4-6 7-6 6-4 in a match that lasted two hours and 30 minutes and now faces Schnyder for a place in the semifinals.
Anastasia Rodionova of Russia disposed of Bammer 7-6 6-2 and she now faces a showdown with Serena for a place in the last four.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/03...nis.bangalore/

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:38 AM

S. Williams makes Bangalore quarterfinals

Published: March 5, 2008 at 2:07 PM

BANGALORE, India, March 5 (UPI) -- Third-seeded Serena Williams breezed through a second-round match Wednesday at the $600,000 Bangalore Open tennis tournament in India.

Williams, appearing in just her second tournament of the year and first event since dropping an Australian Open quarterfinals match in January, said she made too many mistakes. But she only appeared rusty in the first set, winning it 7-5 and then closing out Tzipora Obziler 6-0 in the second set.

She advanced to a quarterfinal match Friday with Anastassia Rodionova, who earned her quarterfinal slot with a 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 upset of sixth-seeded Sybille Bammer.

Fourth-seeded Patty Schnyder defeated Aiko Nakamura, 6-7 (1-7), 6-4, 6-2, but No. 5-seeded Agnes Szavay fell 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 to Akgul Amanmuradova. Schnyder and Amanmuradova meet in another quarterfinal Friday.

The second round is to wrap-up Thursday, with top-seeded Jelena Jankovic and No. 2-seeded Venus Williams on the card.

The tournament finals are scheduled for Sunday, with the Bangalore Open champion winning $95,500.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Sports/...96/print_view/

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:42 AM

Williams sisters upset by Chinese pair in doublesBangalore, UNI: The Williams sisters' dream of making it to final in the doubles were shuttered as Serena and Venus went down to third seed China pair Shuai Peng and Tiantian in the USD 600,000 WTA Tier II Bangalore open.<FONT class=articlecontentfont>

In the match played late last night, Venus and Serena could not withstand the onslaught by the

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:44 AM

Serena and Venus step out in local fashions ahead of Indian Open

6 MARCH 2008

Tennis fans are used to seeing Venus and Serena Williams showing off their enviable physiques in sporty ensembles on court. The sport's famous siblings had adopted a very different look this week, though, as they attended a function on the eve of the Bangalore Open Championship in colourful saris.

The sisters donned the traditional Indian costume - complete with gold earrings and bindis on their foreheads - as they joined fellow competitors at the Southern India bash. While Venus - who has a keen interest in style and trained as a fashion designer - stepped out in a cerulean blue affair, Serena had opted for a striking saffron creation which revealed her uber-toned stomach.

Both colours have a special significance in India, where blue is associated Lord Krishna and represents calm, while saffron orange - the country's favourite hue - is considered auspicious as well as sacred.

It wasn't only her off-court attire which was getting Serena noticed. Although the pair bowed out of the doubles championship in the quarter-finals, eight-time grand slam winner Serena made a good start in the singles competition, smashing her way into the quarter-finals with a second set of 6-0.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...sisters-1b.jpg

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...s-sister-sari/

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:45 AM

Jankovic and Venus reach Bangalore quarters
(Adds Jankovic result, quotes, details, byline)
By Sanjay Rajan
BANGALORE, India, March 6 (Reuters) - Serbian world number four Jelena Jankovic and American second seed Venus Williams entered the quarter-finals of the Bangalore Open in contrasting style on Thursday.
While top seed Jankovic was clinical in her 6-2 6-2 demolition of Croat Sanda Mamic, world number seven Williams stumbled past China's Peng Shuai in three sets, committing 15 double faults.
Jankovic, semi-finalist at the Australian Open in January, broke her left-handed opponent in the fifth and seventh games of the opening set after the two had traded early breaks.
The powerful Serbian broke Mamic, who is returning after a career-threatening injury, in the fifth and seventh games of the second set as well to close out the match.
Jankovic, who was given a first round bye, said the extra bounce on the courts was causing problems.
"You have to put a lot of spin on the ball," she told a news conference. "If I hit flat, the ball goes way out.
"You need to play a completely different game (on these courts). I guess it is the same for everybody."
Jankovic will meet China's Yan Zi next.
Former world number one Williams, also given a first round bye, was stretched 6-2 6-7 6-2 by her gritty 58th-ranked opponent in a second round match that lasted nearly two hours.
Williams next faces Russian Vera Zvonareva, who beat Romanian qualifier Agnes Szatmari 7-6 6-1.
Williams, a quarter-finalist at the Australian Open in January, had lost to a qualifier in Memphis last week.
With his service letting her down, she looked vulnerable in the first two sets.
"I made some errors, but in tennis you got to move on," she told a news conference. "I got to hit a lot of balls today so that was good."
Williams overcame some early blues to break her opponent in the fifth game of the first set with a powerful forehand.
Gritty Shuai came back strongly in the second, serving hard and returning with precision to trade breaks and win in the tie-breaker before Williams found her groove in the decider.
She and Jankovic join Serena Williams, Swiss Patty Schnyder and Zvonareva as the seeds to have moved into the last eight. Third seed Serena and fourth seed Schnyder booked their berths on Wednesday.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breaking...363059,00.html

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:46 AM

Venus Williams, Jelena Jankovic advance to quarter-finals at Bangalore Open

BANGALORE, India — Venus Williams and Jelena Jankovic reached the quarter-finals of the Bangalore Open on Thursday.
Williams struggled past Peng Shuai 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-2, and Jankovic defeated Sanda Mamic 6-2, 6-2. Williams wasted two match points in the tiebreaker, and then lost the second set with one of her 15 double-faults.
"It's past. You have to go on. I got to hit a lot of balls and that is good," Williams said. "She played well, but I had the upper hand."
Williams had another match point in the third set before she won when Peng hit a volley out.
The seventh-ranked American will face Vera Zvonareva, who beat Agnes Szatmari 7-6 (5), 6-1.
"Venus is going to have a tough match," Zvonareva said. "I will be prepared and hope to raise the level of my game."
Zvonareva was broken in the opening game, but she broke back in the eighth and won the tiebreaker.
"I could have played better," said the seventh-seeded Zvonareva. "I didn't serve too well and I was trying to hit the ball too hard. I am not happy with the way I constructed my points."
In the second set, Zvonareva took a 5-0 lead, breaking Szatmari in the second and fourth games.
Zi Yan also advanced to the quarterfinals, defeating Olga Savchuk 6-2, 6-1.

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...hAHQ6TJPw5ppBg

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:49 AM

Venus and Schnyder reach Bangalore last four

Fri 7 Mar 2008, 11:59 GMT

[-] Text [+]

BANGALORE, India (Reuters) - World number seven Venus Williams was back on form as she beat Vera Zvonareva in straight sets to reach the semi-finals of the Bangalore Open on Friday.
Fourth seed Patty Schnyder was the first player to reach the last four, wearing down big-serving Uzbek Akgul Amanmuradova to win 4-6 6-4 7-6.
Second seeded American Williams won her quarter-final 6-4 6-3 in 90 minutes, showing considerable improvement from her inconsistent display in the second round against Chinese Peng Shuai when she committed 15 double faults.
http://africa.reuters.com/newsimages...E-20080307.jpg
She could now face sister Serena, the third seed, who was playing Russian Anastasia Rodionova later on Friday.
Wimbledon champion Venus led 5-1 in the opening set before the Russian seventh seed broke her twice as she won three straight games.
Williams, a former world number one, squandered five set points before breaking her 21st-ranked opponent in the 10th game to take the set.
Williams, 27, took control of the second set, making a crucial break in the fourth game after the two had traded early breaks.
Left-hander Schnyder used clever placements to tire her taller, 23-year-old opponent, who had beaten defending champion Yaroslava Shvedova in the first round and fifth seed Agnes Szavay in the second.
Schnyder, 29, will now meet the winner of the match between top seed Jelena Jankovic and China's Yan Zi.
Amanmuradova, ranked 83 in the world, outgunned the world number 12 from the baseline to win the first set but the wily Schnyder countered in the second.
Schnyder went 3-0 up before Amanmuradova rallied to 4-5 but the Uzbek double faulted at a crucial point to hand her opponent the set.
"I had a slow start but then I found my game, especially on my serve," Schnyder told a news conference.
"I needed some time to get some good chances on her serve. At the end I thought I was playing better."
Amanmuradova's series of unforced errors cost her dearly in the final set after the two had traded early breaks.
Amanmuradova saved three match points to push the set into a a tiebreak which the experienced Schnyder clinched, dropping just one point.

http://africa.reuters.com/sport/news/usnBAN743163.html

V.S. Mar 10th, 2008 01:51 AM

Venus, Schnyder into Bangalore Open semis

Associated Press

Updated: March 7, 2008, 7:52 AM EST

BANGALORE, India (AP) - Venus Williams dispatched Vera Zvonareva 6-4, 6-3 Friday to reach the semifinals of the WTA's Bangalore Open.

She was joined in the final four by Patty Schnyder, who beat Akgul Amanmurdova 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (1).
Williams raced to a 5-1 lead in the first set, but Zvonareva responded with two breaks of her own to square the set before breaking her in the 10th and final game.
She will meet the winner of Friday's quarterfinal between sister Serena Williams and Russia's Anastasia Rodionova.
In the second set, Venus forced two breaks while dropping serve once in the thin air 3,000 feet above sea level.
"It was difficult to play Venus today and the altitude, too, did not help me," Zvonareva said. "I have a lot of work to do. I have not been at my best form and need to get better."
Schnyder's error-riddled game put her down two breaks in the deciding set, and even after getting back level she squandered three match points in the 12th game. But she found enough to clinch the tiebreak.
"Her serves were tough to return," Schnyder said. "There were ups and downs in my game today. I broke her in the second set which was helpful. She was two breaks up in the decider, I managed to turn around and I am happy." Schnyder's semifinal opponent will be the winner of Friday's match between Serbia's Jelena Jankovic and China's Zi Yan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...ore-Open-semis