TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   General Messages (https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/)
-   -   Who can beat Andreescu? (https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/1352869-who-can-beat-andreescu.html)

ishgever Sep 8th, 2019 07:12 AM

Who can beat Andreescu?

Note: The question isn't asking who will be the literally next person to beat Bianca, but who will actually be able to challenge her consistently.

Bianca Andreescu is basically unbeatable by all of the top players in 2019. Ever since the first time I properly saw her (vs Svtiolina in IW), I had a feeling that this woman just cannot lose.

And it's been true - she hasn't lost a proper match since! She has an unbeaten record against top 10 players too.

All throughout the NA hardcourt swing I was sure she would go undefeated. I didn't think she would lose even when she was down vs. Mertens or anybody else.

She even wins when she makes it difficult, when her opponents are playing well, and when she looks like she needs urgent hospitalisation.

Nobody really seems to know how to beat her right now, which is why she seems unbeatable in 2019.

So, who will be the one to finally beat her on a regular basis?

The biggest challenges I've seen her face were vs. Svitolina and Angie in IW. Both had chances to win those matches and neither were in great form at the time, but still...Bianca got it done. Bianca beat Angie the next week too.

I didn't think Serena could beat her at the USO, but I also expected Serena to play a bit better...so maybe Serena will take her revenge up next.

I actually think prime Sharapova would've had a good chance, but I guess we'll never know.

What do you think? Halep? Osaka? Someone else?

frjeppe Sep 8th, 2019 07:13 AM

Re: Who can beat Andreescu?

No-one is unbeatable.

ishgever Sep 8th, 2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frjeppe (Post 81827469)
No-one is unbeatable.

Of course.

But she's been pretty close this year, and I haven't seen her play anybody who looked like they knew how to beat her.

frjeppe Sep 8th, 2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishgever (Post 81827495)
Of course.

But she's been pretty close this year, and I haven't seen her play anybody who looked like they knew how to beat her.

Yeah but coaches will be watching coming up
with things etc. It will be interesting to see for sure! Rest of 2019 is gonna be fun on wta!

ytsejam Sep 8th, 2019 07:26 AM

Reminder, Kenin was the last player to complete a win over Andreescu.

zim Sep 8th, 2019 07:27 AM

On faster, lower bouncing surfaces I imagine there are a lot of players that can beat her.

She’s not going to be at her best (or close to her best) in every tournament she plays. It’s no real surprise that often the freshest elite players are the ones doing best at the US Open.

AlexMA Sep 8th, 2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishgever (Post 81827465)

The biggest challenges I've seen her face were vs. Svitolina and Angie in IW. Both had chances to win those matches and neither were in great form at the time, but still...Bianca got it done. Bianca beat Angie the next week too.

I didn't think Serena could beat her at the USO, but I also expected Serena to play a bit better...so maybe Serena will take her revenge up next.

Actually there were a couple not top players that troubled her, let's not forget the dream almost died before it started as Begu, a journeywoman through and through, almost beat her at Indian Wells and then again at Miami.

Like others said she is not invincible, clearly. A focused Kvitova would be trouble for her, as would Osaka or an inspired Halep, or Pliskova. There are plenty, but they also need time to figure her out, so next season should be very interesting as she won't be the new girl anymore.

Sammo Sep 8th, 2019 07:41 AM

Definitely Osaka if she starts peaking again.

Kurmay3Katti Sep 8th, 2019 07:43 AM

I'm curious to see how she plays against Halep and Petra. They could maybe peak and take the match out of her hands.

Maybe someone like Naomi or Anisimova or Kenin? Not sure.

Kurmay3Katti Sep 8th, 2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexMA (Post 81827527)
Actually there were a couple not top players that troubled her, let's not forget the dream almost died before it started as Begu, a journeywoman through and through, almost beat her at Indian Wells and then again at Miami.

Kasatkina had a chance to serve it out against Andreescu but failed. She could possibly match Andreescu with her versatility and topspin FH. However I have big doubts about her mentality, so maybe not.

Aaron. Sep 8th, 2019 07:45 AM

If Osaka can't beat Putintseva, how can she beat Andreescu? :rolleyes: Andreescu will eat her alive with those dropshots and slices.

gamesetmatchrafa Sep 8th, 2019 07:48 AM

I love the shade.winning even whe looks like she needs urgent hospitalization lol
#dramaqueen disgusting and overrated girl...

morgendorffer Sep 8th, 2019 07:48 AM

She came so close to losing so many matches this year.

It will be interesting to see how she does at AO - there's going to be expectation now and I'm curious to see how she handles that.
That kinda pressure may have an impact on the type of matches that she managed to pull through on this year. However, I don't think she's going to wilt like Naomi has.

ishgever Sep 8th, 2019 07:51 AM

I also think 2020 will be tougher when she has the expectation, and players are really studying her game to figure out how to beat her.

The point of this thread isn't whether or not she's unbeatable though :SNE:

I'm wondering who might be a really tough matchup for her.

The toughest I've seen this year were Svitolina and Kerber, and actually Begu as pointed out.

Barty might actually give her trouble too, though Andreescu is way more solid mentally.

martin_91 Sep 8th, 2019 07:53 AM

Honestly I can't wait to see her cross racquets with Simona for the first time. Should happen in Shenzhen if not earlier... Maybe Bianca gets a little "soft" playing her idol.