TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   General Messages (https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/)
-   -   RG QR1: Gauff d. Raina 6-4, 6-4 (https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/1341117-rg-qr1-gauff-d-raina-6-4-6-4-a.html)

RiskeFan1 May 21st, 2019 06:54 PM

RG QR1: Gauff d. Raina 6-4, 6-4

A kind R1 and she took advantage! :D Nice win for the 15-year-old.

Her section of the draw is brutal though. Kaja Juvan is next, who's easily a Top 100 player on clay, followed by Bernarda Pera. Nothing to lose though!

Drake1980 May 21st, 2019 06:56 PM

Re: RG QR1: Gauff d. Raina 6-4, 6-4

:)

Super Dave May 21st, 2019 07:01 PM

:)

Absolute10 May 21st, 2019 07:27 PM

Didn't know she was ranked high enough to make the Qualifying draw.
Was looking for the name Aiava. Nowhere to be found. Girl can't even make GS Qualies?

tucker1989 May 21st, 2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute10 (Post 81440767)
Was looking for the name Aiava. Nowhere to be found. Girl can't even make GS Qualies?

Cori got a QWC as last year's junior champion, great to see her return to RG and get her first senior-level GS win. As a previous poster said, nothing to lose, Cori! Great first-round win!

Nicolas May 21st, 2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute10 (Post 81440767)

Gauff has a WC and Aiava's ranking din't allow her to enter that draw.

ItaliaStalia May 21st, 2019 07:35 PM

Great job Cori, making good use of that QWC.
Shocked that Raina is ranked #169...

This is a difficult section.... with Juvan, then possibly Pera.

STRONG-ERA May 21st, 2019 07:57 PM

The mechanics on her serve + groundstrokes looked weird today. Wonder when they'll fix that.

Absolute10 May 21st, 2019 08:11 PM

Too much focus on this 15-year old. That's a way to ruin a career before it starts.

Hovercorn May 21st, 2019 08:19 PM

Good match by Cori. Loved the movement: she has great wheels, and slides well to both sides. Nice defense throughout the match, withstanding Raina's attacking tennis long enough to draw the errors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STRONG-ERA (Post 81440837)
The mechanics on her serve + groundstrokes looked weird today. Wonder when they'll fix that.

The double faults are starting to concern me. I watched three of her recent matches on the Pro Circuit and noticed this issue. She goes for a lot on 2nd (like Yastremska), but misses some of those serves by miles. Heck, she had one DF today that nearly hit the baseline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute10 (Post 81440871)
Too much focus on this 15-year old. That's a way to ruin a career before it starts.

Meh. If she's good enough, and has the right support network to manage it all, she'll be OK. She's not the first youngster with a lot of expectations, and won't be the last. Some make it through, and others don't. Time will tell.

*Jool* May 21st, 2019 08:28 PM

Ankita :hug:

but happy for Cori :yeah:

gold fangs May 21st, 2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STRONG-ERA (Post 81440837)

She reminds me a lot of Vaidisova. Huge physical presence, lots of natural power and decent touch, a few hitches that could prove troublesome later.

This isn't the first time I've seen her hit a relatively large number of double faults, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercorn (Post 81440895)
Meh. If she's good enough, and has the right support network to manage it all, she'll be OK. She's not the first youngster with a lot of expectations, and won't be the last. Some make it through, and others don't. Time will tell.

It's the support network that's most concerning, really. She and her team have been telling the press she wants to be the GOAT and that she feels the AER is holding her back, and that's worrisome, especially given how the US media loves to over-hype its youngsters.

And ever since Vaidisova's generation, the super-young prodigies and the first to break through from their age group have burned out to a really large degree: Vaidisova, Karatantcheva, Golovin, Paszek, Larcher de Brito, Robson. Barty saved herself with a two-year retirement, Bellis has been out of action for a year. I'm concerned about any support team around a player as young as Gauff who looks at a decade of burnouts and still opts to talk a huge game rather than develop quietly and under the radar.

Spirited Away May 21st, 2019 09:08 PM

Regarding Gauff's mechanics, it's mostly the ball toss on serve that's weirdly high. If she doesn't change it I don't know how she'll manage in strong wind conditions.

BlueTrees May 22nd, 2019 04:30 AM

Awful loss for Anita. :o

Absolute10 May 22nd, 2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirited Away (Post 81440971)
Regarding Gauff's mechanics, it's mostly the ball toss on serve that's weirdly high. If she doesn't change it I don't know how she'll manage in strong wind conditions.

She does hit a lot of DF. But I guess the coach is programming her to become a player with 2 first serves... no 2nd serve.
Maybe he is onto something, trying to be a better Giorgi in the serve department. :) :)

Good luck !!!