TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   General Messages (https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/)
-   -   Mouratglou: Serena was an underachiever before working with me! (https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/1340413-mouratglou-serena-underachiever-before-working-me.html)

Saraya! May 13th, 2019 06:58 PM

Mouratglou: Serena was an underachiever before working with me!

Quote:

In an interview to Metro, Serena Williams' coach Patrick Mouratoglou shared his honest thoughts on how he was seeing the American's career before they started working together in 2012. "I think Serena was an underachiever", confessed Mouratoglou.

"I told her the moment we started. For sure. The next three or four years with me – after she had the baby, things changed – but the first four years she stayed No. 1 for three-and-a-half years. Before me never more than eight months in a row.

She was doing incredibly well. She was incredible – that’s not what I’m saying – but she could do… and that’s what I said to her when we started to work together, she asked what I think, I said, “I think you should do much better.

With the qualities you have, natural, your motivation, your mental – all these things combined, it’s unbelievable how good you are. So you can do better”. ‘Even Serena. And she did better, much better. If you look at the stats they became much, much, much better.

That’s our job. But for that, if you’re not doing something really personalised you have no chance. He pauses before laughing: ‘Don’t make the title Serena is an underachiever, please. I see it coming already. She’s not anymore."
https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...e-mouratoglou/

:facepalm: :facepalm: this guy. :help:

*Jool* May 13th, 2019 07:29 PM

Re: Mouratglou: Serena was an underachiever before working with me!

I 'm not fond of PM , but if I'm being completely honest , I don't think what he says here is entirely wrong...

Saraya! May 13th, 2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Jool* (Post 81416753)
I 'm not fond of PM , but if I'm being completely honest , I don't think what he says here is entirely wrong...

:eek:

Mr.Sparkle May 13th, 2019 07:32 PM

Of course, because he's such an innovative coach...

https://cdn.kapwing.com/final_5cd9c5...040_892272.gif

"PLEEEASEE, LOOK AT ME TV CAMERAS.. Go down the middle or something but MORE IMPORTANTLY LOOK AT ME!! I AM HELPING SOME HOW."

BoogieWoogie May 13th, 2019 07:35 PM

D ruined her career

Sphrontanascier May 13th, 2019 07:36 PM

That's the truth. She never was as regularly solid as with him before :shrug:

Javi May 13th, 2019 07:37 PM

This dude is the worst egomaniac ever.
Serena made him.

Can’t wait for him to get back to irrelevancy once Serena retires.

TheBoiledEgg May 13th, 2019 07:40 PM

The man has no shame

Saraya! May 13th, 2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javi (Post 81416805)
This dude is the worst egomaniac ever.
Serena made him.

Can’t wait for him to get back to irrelevancy once Serena retires.

So much this. No great player from his academy ever before he met Serena..and Serena was an alltime great multiple Slam champion when she starts working with him...way to much credit he gave himself...also he jump on the Tsitsipas train when he starts to play great... :rolleyes:

Monzanator May 13th, 2019 07:44 PM

He needs his Academy to thrive and being Serena's coach is the only thing he can sell for that to happen. The guy will be a wash once Serena rides off into the sunset :lol:

Saraya! May 13th, 2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg (Post 81416819)
The man has no shame

He put himself above Richard..normal Serena hates this kind of behavior...will see if she react on this...

LewisCarroll May 13th, 2019 07:48 PM

Serena and Mouratglou really deserve eachother, don't they?

heavyhorse May 13th, 2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sphrontanascier (Post 81416799)
That's the truth. She never was as regularly solid as with him before :shrug:

Pre-Patrick

2002 FO W
2002 Wimbledon W
2002 USO W
2003 AO W
2003 Wimbledon W

2008 USO W
2009 AO W
2009 Wimbledon W
2010 AO W
2010 Wimbledon W

And scattered results inbetween (not to mention death of her sister)

Post-Patrick

2012 Wimbledon W
2012 USO W
2013 FO W
2013 USO W

2014 USO W
2015 AO W
2015 FO W
2015 Wimbledon W

And scattered results inbetween

So I really don't get how "she never was as regularly solid as with him before " infact it seems to be an almost identical pattern of chunks of great form followed by in-and-out form where she's only winning a slam here and there.

STRONG-ERA May 13th, 2019 07:54 PM

He IS right if you look at her consistency before/after him but attributing Serena's success this decade to him alone is quite ridiculous. How much of it was due to the gradual disappearance of HOFers from the game (e.g. the Belgians), or far more importantly, a healthy period for Serena with little niggling injuries (2012-2017)?

But MouRAToglou will give himself all the praise in the world.

heavyhorse May 13th, 2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monzanator (Post 81416837)
He needs his Academy to thrive and being Serena's coach is the only thing he can sell for that to happen. The guy will be a wash once Serena rides off into the sunset :lol:

That's precisely what this interview is about. He'll need to talk himself up as much as possible, get his name in rotation as much as possible, so when Serena retires and his ass is out of a job his academy can live off of that manufactured reputation.