TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Non-Tennis (https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/)
-   -   Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei (https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/1336787-two-more-days-then-fit-hits-shan-brunei.html)

HippityHop Mar 31st, 2019 08:07 PM

Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

I would have posted this in the LGBT thread but it involves more that LGBT.

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Amnesty International on Wednesday slammed plans by Brunei to implement what the rights group called “vicious” Islamic criminal laws such as stoning to death for gay sex and amputation for theft.

Amnesty said in a statement that the new penalties, which also apply to children, are provided for in new sections under Brunei’s Sharia Penal Code and will come into effect April 3. The legal changes were announced in a discreet notice on the attorney general’s website, it said.

“To legalize such cruel and inhuman penalties is appalling of itself,” said Rachel Chhoa-Howard, Brunei researcher at Amnesty International. She said some of the potential offenses “should not even be deemed crimes at all, including consensual sex between adults of the same gender.”

“Brunei must immediately halt its plans to implement these vicious punishments and revise its penal code in compliance with its human rights obligations,” Chhoa-Howard said. “The international community must urgently condemn Brunei’s move to put these cruel penalties into practice.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ft/3297264002/

Sam L Mar 31st, 2019 09:26 PM

Re: Two more days then the fit hits the shan in Brunei

Boycott these hotels owned by the Sultan of Brunei

Quote:

The Dorchester, London
45 Park Lane, London
Coworth Park, UK
The Beverly Hills Hotel, Beverly Hills
Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles
Le Meurice, Paris
Hotel Plaza Athenee, Paris
Hotel Eden, Rome
Hotel Principe di Savoia, Mi

Plies Apr 1st, 2019 02:40 AM

The boycott is still warranted but this thread gives a good rundown of Brunei and why it won't help much.

Punky Apr 1st, 2019 12:28 PM

Boycotting the hotel wont help and i find it hypocrisy.

How about all thise countries that murder gays and have strict laws if two men/woman caught having sex?

Javi Apr 1st, 2019 12:50 PM

Re: “It won’t help”
Well, better boycott than doing nothing. When George Clooney or other rich and famous people do it, it raises awareness about the topic and put it front on the news.

I don’t care about their second intentions. :shrug: Many good actions are led by PR/selfish reasons and they are still good and helpful, like when celebrities make donations after big natural disasters and they make everyone know about it.

Absolute10 Apr 1st, 2019 01:08 PM

They have the same law in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudis are BEST Friends with all US Governments, not just Trump's.
No one has called to boycott the Saudis here. So why single out Brunei????

ElusiveChanteuse Apr 1st, 2019 03:47 PM

Do people actually know where Brunei is?:oh:

Jarl Apr 1st, 2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absolute10 (Post 81311859)
They have the same law in Saudi Arabia. But the Saudies are BEST Friends with all US Governments, not just Trump's.
No one has called to boycott the Saudis here. So why single out Brunei????

Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei

Punky Apr 1st, 2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarl (Post 81312897)
Of course there are double standards when it comes to Saudi Arabia. But that doesn't mean that's reason to ignore what's happening in Brunei

So why now? Whats the big news? Why George doesn't call to boycott Saudi Arabia?

Silent Bird Apr 2nd, 2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky (Post 81313107)
So why now? Whats the big news? Why George doesn't call to boycott Saudi Arabia?

Quote:

This is the same argument defenders of Israel use when talking about the BDS movement. Because Israel is not the only country that abuses human rights, they think that allows them to dismiss the boycott as unfair (and anti-semitic).

So it's not surprising to see this poster write what they wrote about this case...

Mateo Mathieu Apr 2nd, 2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElusiveChanteuse (Post 81312315)
Do people actually know where Brunei is?:oh:

Yes, they're your neighbours ;)

Brunei is closer to Australia than it is to Saudi Arabia.

Back to the topic, so if a kid kidnaps something and told everyone it was some other child - does this means they will amputee the other child? :facepalm: I find this ridiculous!

Punky Apr 2nd, 2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

So why the double standard? Anyone can explaine?

I didn't see George leading a protest against Saudi or the gays in Russia

Fake Hollywood

JaySix Apr 2nd, 2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky (Post 81314107)

Fake Hollywood

Going against Saudi or Russia is not easy. Brunei is a small state that can be bullied more

Punky Apr 2nd, 2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySix (Post 81314113)
Going against Saudi or Russia is not easy. Brunei is a small state that can be bullied more

Yes i know i was waiting for someone to write the truth.

Jarl Apr 2nd, 2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky (Post 81314107)

Fake Hollywood

I don't agree with the fact that no one in the mainstream media talks about the same death penalty in Saudi Arabia. It isn't a surprise to anyone that Saudi Arabia is ignored because of the military and economic relationship that western countries have with them.
I also don't care about this boycott because this won't have any real impact.

But, I still don't see why this new law in Brunei should be ignored, just because Saudi Arabia is not getting any boycott for the same thing. I don't think gays in Brunei, that will probably die with this new law, will say "Oh Saudi Arabia has the same law and no one cares, so this is okay..."