TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Non-Tennis (https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/)
-   -   Sexual Harassment/Assault Thread (https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/1288812-sexual-harassment-assault-thread.html)

Shifty-Eyed Dog Oct 12th, 2017 05:47 PM

Sexual Harassment/Assault Thread

Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/u...legations.html

TIEFSEE Oct 12th, 2017 05:52 PM

Re: Harvey Weinstein Charged with Harassment, Rape, Abuse, etc.

You beat me by minutes :lol:

Someone uploaded this clip a while ago:

Which made me think - was this why she won an Oscar?

I just don't think the whole drama is that black and white. There are many accomplices in the showbiz (INCLUDING those people who recently called out Weinstein) who have been benefited by Weinstein's power over the years and didn't even say a word, and NOW decided to because he lost his influence which means it wouldn't hurt their careers.

to paradise. Oct 12th, 2017 06:00 PM

Is he the one married to the beautiful Georgina Chapman?

Ohhh I see she's divorcing his ass. :worship:

Shifty-Eyed Dog Oct 12th, 2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIEFSEE (Post 79647554)
You beat me by minutes :lol:

Someone uploaded this clip a while ago:

Which made me think - was this why she won an Oscar?

I just don't think the whole drama is that black and white. There are many accomplices in the showbiz (INCLUDING those people who recently called out Weinstein) who have been benefited by Weinstein's power over the years and didn't even say a word, and NOW decided to because he lost his influence which means it wouldn't hurt their careers.

It may not be totally black and white...but it's fairly black and white. The others were dependent on him, he had all the cards in the deck, all the power and exploited them and their fear of having their careers ruined, and he's the aggressor. For most of them, there are no concrete benefits to blowing the whistle, I don't blame them for being afraid to come forward, it's not that easy.

bluwaters Oct 12th, 2017 06:20 PM

It's not that hard to avoid all this trouble.
Just don't assault, abuse, or rape people.
Weinstein now says he wants treatment and that he made mistakes.
Actually, he seems to have committed crimes and is facing prosecution.

How many others are sweating it out now, hoping their names don't come up too?

Javi Oct 12th, 2017 06:36 PM

This is sickening. I've been reading about it in the last days.
I hope more women now will dare to talk and drag this piece of shit

Shifty-Eyed Dog Oct 12th, 2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluwaters (Post 79647654)
It's not that hard to avoid all this trouble.
Just don't assault, abuse, or rape people.
Weinstein now says he wants treatment and that he made mistakes.
Actually, he seems to have committed crimes and is facing prosecution.

How many others are sweating it out now, hoping their names don't come up too?

You might just as well say "Why can't you just be nice?" to the Mafia. People in powerful positions are not like you and me. It's been shown that power is like a drug, it changes people's brain chemistry. People like Weinstein also undoubtedly did do a lot for many of these people's careers. It's a very common manipulation, which is why people should always be wary of those offering to give them too much. He's the type that probably only does it because it makes him more powerful, he doesn't do anything out of the goodness of his heart. He's now having himself treated for sex addiction which is strictly P.R. that he thinks will take the heat off him. As if it's any excuse. There are tons of sex addicts who don't rape or abuse, it's ridiculous.

JaySix Oct 12th, 2017 06:51 PM

Who the hell is Harvey Weinstein?

Shifty-Eyed Dog Oct 12th, 2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySix (Post 79647774)
Who the hell is Harvey Weinstein?

Seriously? Up till the last few days, probably the biggest producer in Hollywood who has shepherded the careers of umpteen movie stars like Gwyneth Paltrow, Ben Affleck, etc, etc. Also, it has to be said, a huge donor to the Democratic Party in the last 10-20 years, most recently to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.

dubsplayer Oct 12th, 2017 07:05 PM

What a lovely picture of Donnie and Melania with the Weinstein’s.

Why Is Trump So Excited About the Harvey Weinstein Scandal?

TIEFSEE Oct 12th, 2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty-Eyed Dog (Post 79647638)
It may not be totally black and white...but it's fairly black and white. The others were dependent on him, he had all the cards in the deck, all the power and exploited them and their fear of having their careers ruined, and he's the aggressor. For most of them, there are no concrete benefits to blowing the whistle, I don't blame them for being afraid to come forward, it's not that easy.

I was not talking about the victims who lost their careers because of saying no to Harvey. I was talking about those who were (possibly knowingly) obliged to his behaviours (EDIT: or chose not to expose him) so as to have big film careers under the influence of the perpetrator himself.

Looking at history it isn't a myth that Hollywood is full of decadent sleazebags but we can not count out people who will make use of it to be famous. So I just find all those celebrities cutting ties with Harvey now hypocritical - no way in Hell would they just know by now.

I already don't count those politicians who have been benefited by Harvey's campaigns over the years.

Miracle Worker Oct 12th, 2017 07:18 PM

Shocking.

Half of those basic, talentless actress would have no careers without sleeping with someone relevant.

Shifty-Eyed Dog Oct 12th, 2017 07:19 PM

Police Look Anew at Allegations Against Harvey Weinstein

Police involvement considerably raises the stakes for disgraced producer

https://www.wsj.com/articles/police-...ein-1507834165

Javi Oct 12th, 2017 07:31 PM

Random Run Oct 12th, 2017 07:36 PM

Weinstein is a monster but he is just the first one to get called-out by the media. Debra Winger dared to call-out a few guys back in the 80s (most, if not all, of them are dead now) and she was just portrayed as a loud drud addict that everybody hated in Hollywood. She was treated like a pariah (not unlike McGowan) and by the mid-90s she disappeared from mainstream films and TV.

It was important that Terry Crews came forward with his case, too. The Singer case pretty much died because not a lot of guys are willing to recognize that they have been abused. Abuse is a very serious problem in Hollywood. Weinstein is just the tip of the iceberg