TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (https://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   Non-Tennis (https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/)
-   -   Race-relations Issues (https://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/1288510-race-relations-issues.html)

pancake Oct 10th, 2017 02:46 AM

Race-relations Issues
 
Hello Non-Tennis posters,

For topics related to racism, including but not limited to discrimination and police brutality, please post them here.

The purpose of this thread to make sure such topics get the discussion they deserve and aren't ignored, all topics regarding these issues will be moved into this thread. The previous threads about such problems will not be merged.

While this is a place for open discussion, the rules of conduct of this forum are still to be followed. Respect is expected, even more so with these themes.

Any further doubts should be forwarded to the Non-Tennis moderators.

The Non-Tennis Moderation Team

Williamsser Oct 10th, 2017 04:36 AM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net...78&oe=5A42849C

Dove Drops an Ad Accused of Racism

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/b...ad-racist.html

In a Facebook ad for Dove body wash, a black woman removes her brown shirt and — voilà! Underneath is a white woman in a light shirt.

But the transition from the black woman to the white women — compiled into a static collage by a social media user — evoked a long-running racist trope in soap advertising: a “dirty” black person cleansed into whiteness. (Among other examples was an ad by the N. K. Fairbank Company, which was in business from 1875 to 1921, that featured a white child asking a black child, “Why doesn’t your mamma wash you with Fairy soap?”)

Sam L Oct 10th, 2017 10:15 AM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Beyond silly. Because there were 3 women. First there was a black woman and then a white woman and then a latino type woman.

So by this logic, if a white woman cleaned herself she becomes latino.

Ok. No thanks I'm not falling for this BS. I'll continue using Dove.

pov Oct 10th, 2017 01:22 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam L (Post 79640190)
Beyond silly. Because there were 3 women. First there was a black woman and then a white woman and then a latino type woman.

So by this logic, if a white woman cleaned herself she becomes latino.

Ok. No thanks I'm not falling for this BS. I'll continue using Dove.

Really? :lol: I haven't seen the ad. Yeah, social media driven hysteria often misses the mark. From what you've said the aim was to be inclusive and they just had a tradition that certain people honed in on and viewed in a way much different to that intended. You'd think they'd look at Dove's other ads for context but :shrug:

Super Dave Oct 10th, 2017 01:28 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
I've never liked Dove because it makes my skin feel greasy.

Hanan Ubis Oct 10th, 2017 02:39 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pov (Post 79640720)
Really? :lol: I haven't seen the ad. Yeah, social media driven hysteria often misses the mark. From what you've said the aim was to be inclusive and they just had a tradition that certain people honed in on and viewed in a way much different to that intended. You'd think they'd look at Dove's other ads for context but :shrug:

They actually did look at other ads, and many feel that dove has a history of insensitivity. As a result, #boycottdove is becoming a thing.

example

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...lb6z1dtuxt.jpg

I personally don't think these ads are necessarily malicious, but it is possible... a lot of people in advertising are aware of subliminal messaging, so they often use things like putting certain aspects right next to each other to make people feel a certain way.
Furthermore, soap ads in general have a history of racism.

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhan...74294266-6.jpg

pov Oct 10th, 2017 02:41 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah (Post 79641096)
They actually did look at other ads, and many feel that dove has a history of insensitivity. As a result, #boycottdove is becoming a thing

I guess for those who are hypersensitive, normal can seem insensitive. I see nothing strange in that ad photo.

Overall Dove does more inclusive and ethnicity, body type supportive ads than almost any company. As for becoming a thing, like I stated, this isn't the first time social media driven hysteria is off the mark. And it won't be the last.

Hanan Ubis Oct 10th, 2017 02:43 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pov (Post 79641102)
I guess for those who are hypersensitive, normal can seem insensitive. I see nothing strange in that ad photo.

I just added more to my post to explain it more.

pov Oct 10th, 2017 03:09 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah (Post 79641108)
I just added more to my post to explain it more.

Ah. Okay. Thanks for giving context. Though I do see making such a bizarre association with an ad from yesteryear as an example of hypersensitivity.

Hanan Ubis Oct 10th, 2017 05:44 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pov (Post 79641198)
Ah. Okay. Thanks for giving context. Though I do see making such a bizarre association with an ad from yesteryear as an example of hypersensitivity.

That was just one quick ad I could find on google, there are a lot more. And the fact that it is connected with race superiority / relations today which in turn are connected to race issues of the past, still gives it some relevance.

TIEFSEE Oct 10th, 2017 06:16 PM

Re: Race-relations Issues
 
wait what happened to the old thread?

There was an interesting piece written by the model herself published on the Guardian.

I just think the whole Dove thing got blown out of proportion.

pov Oct 10th, 2017 06:57 PM

Re: Race-relation Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah (Post 79641674)
That was just one quick ad I could find on google, there are a lot more. And the fact that it is connected with race superiority / relations today which in turn are connected to race issues of the past, still gives it some relevance.

I disagree. It has relevance because people focus on it. But that leads to hypersensitivity and self-defeating assessments. I can find similar derogatory ads about Italians, Germans, Irish, Japanese, Chinese, etc yet those groupings don't let them inform their current assessments as much as African-Americans seem to. IMO there is enough anti-black stuff that is real and current without compounding it with outrage over things that were not intended to be anything of the sort.

Let's be clear - I couldn't care less about Dove and whether people use it or not. But to me it just seems silly and self-defeating for people to launch a campaign against a company that clearly (even if for finacial gain) focuses on inclusive ads because of misreading something based on "well in the past . ." :shrug: That's all. I'm out on this topic.

buddyholly Oct 11th, 2017 02:04 PM

Re: Race-relations Issues
 
The road to total bowdlerization of the language continues.

The Toronto School Board has just announced that all jobs with the word ‘chief’ in their definition must have a name change, so as not to offend indigenous people. (I bet they did not think to ask indigenous people what they thought of the new rule).
And these are the people in charge of education in the city!
It can only be a few more days before the word "chef" is banned in restaurants.

Also, the Ontario Law Society has instructed all lawyers that they must each write a "statement of principles" and file it with the Law Society.

1984 is finally here!

pancake Oct 11th, 2017 04:09 PM

Re: Race-relations Issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by braedde (Post 79644456)
Race issues and homophobia issues are assigned their own separate threads, but not misogyny and sexism issues. How sexist! :o

I will talk to other members of the moderation team about your concern. Personally I don't think we need a thread for every issue in the society, but I understand your concern.

JN Oct 17th, 2017 01:18 AM

Re: Race-relations Issues
 


Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome