TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Did Muguruza give up on being a great player?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
country flag Haseo.

Did Muguruza give up on being a great player?

I haven't been following WTA this season. Just checked the rankings and Garbine is 36th!! WTH? Didn't expect she would decline that much this fast. I'm still not sure what the hell happened to her. She peaked and declined so suddenly it's like her being good never actually happened. It went so fast. Reminds me of Ivanovic in a way but Ivanovic kinda stayed relevant even after declining. Her decline wasn't as sudden as Muguruza's. Muguruza is such a weird case.

Is it lack of motivation? There is not as much fire in her anymore? And it seems once she lost weight, her game wasn't really that threatening. Maybe that led to loss of confidence and she never got it back again? Or maybe she just stopped trying to improve her game. I keep hearing her FH getting worse and worse.

I don't think the reason is lack of talent. Obviously she was never the most talented on the tour but she is talented enough to win big. That's for sure. Her decline is sad to me because she grew on me overtime and I wanted her to do well :/

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome