Tennis Forum banner

Danielle Collins diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis

6K views 53 replies 39 participants last post by  toxina90 
#1 ·

Cannot imagine how difficult it is to play tennis with an illness as debilitating as this.

There have been a lot of exciting moments during my 2019 season. I am proud to have made a career high ranking of 23 in the world and the semi finals of the Australian Open, earlier this season. There have also been tough moments, but I am grateful for another year of growth. Today is a tough day for me as I announce my recent diagnosis with Rheumatoid arthritis. I have not been feeling all that great for quite some time, but it has been somewhat of a relief and completely validating to understand the cause behind my pain. I am certainly not the first person who has been diagnosed with a chronic illness, and I really feel for all of the people out there who are struggling. As I have started treatment, I am looking forward to embracing this next challenge in life. Without a doubt, every healthy day is a gift and I am one hundred percent committed to keeping strong and continuing to battle on and off the tennis court. ������ #rheumatoidarthritis #autoimmunedisease #ivegotthis

#3 ·
Its awful. I had thought RA was an old people problem until last year, had never met anyone who has it.
But it hurts a tennis career. Hoprfully she will get the right treatment and live a long healthy life

#9 ·
It is genetic. :lol: it has nothing to do with playing tennis.

#5 ·
two is not a trend.
Wozniacki played hundreds more matches than Collins at the age of 25.

#6 ·
:sad:

#8 ·
Danielle :hug:

Horrible news. And this explains her bad results in last months.
She began the year so strong with the Aus Open SF. And many early exits after.
Edit: I just looked at her results this year. She had many tough draws and only few bad losses.

I wish her the best. A shame she has this bad illness. And so young too ...

#11 ·
Not sure I believe this or Caro's or Mardys mental illness depression heart issues, or Vee's Sjogren's syndrome. These supposed illnesses give the player another platform and more media exposure. Sorry for being skeptical, but Mardy Fish is the most normal dude in sports. And Caro is just getting old and fading, she's still a good player but not great. These handy illnesses create sympathy from public and sponsors to excuse fading results. Remember, we live in a world of Fake News, where Malcom X said the media has the power to make the guilty look innocent and the innocent look guilty.

#14 ·
Well that's a bumper for one so freshly out of college ready to make big bucks on the pro tour, after all she said she doesn't come from money. Good thing she has that journalism degree to fall back on.

#19 ·
Danielle :hug: I’m not exactly the biggest Collins fan, but this is really terrible news. She just reached the top of the sport after playing college tennis and now this. At least Woz had a really long career before it happened to her.

I wonder if she and Woz talked about their RA condition with each other.

#23 ·
Feel terrible for Collins and for Caro. It must be terrible to deal with this.

It is really odd. I don't think I've never met a single person under 30 who's been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and yet we have 2 top-flight tennis players who carry the diagnosis.

I hope Collins and Wozniacki can manage their symptoms and play as long as they want. It's especially sad for Collins because she is really coming into her own.

#24 ·
It's not caused by playing.

But playing any sport at a high level might lead to someone seeking and getting a diagnosis earlier than a "normal" person would, as they push their bodies to the limit and notice when something isn't quite right.

A non-sportsperson tends to soldier on for ages without seeking help.

Anyway, good luck to her, hope she learns to manage it well enough to feel ok, and to have a decent career.

#25 ·
I feel bad for her, she can improve even further and now hit by this. I wish her all the best and can continue playing.

#29 ·
Truly shocking and insulting that there are doctors and scientists who dedicate decades of their lives to researching and understanding this illness, and then some random laypeople on tennisforum come by with their crackpot theories about how playing tennis causes rheumatoid arthritis and think that their random guesses are on equal footing to the theories that experts have developed about the actual causes of the disease. :tape:

#33 ·
Btw, there are many herbs in Chinese Medicine (which I study a lot of), that can reduce inflammation and swelling and combat autoimmune diseases. I am sure Magic Johnson takes a cocktail of these herbs every day, or something similar, for the last 30 years or so, to combat his illness.

Do not just rely entirely on Western Medicine. Though it has its very good uses, profits are always put ahead of the patient. Western Medicine does their best to keep you just alive enough to keep spending more money on their medicine.

If I had this disease, I'd search everywhere for a treatment, and not just in my American doctor's office.

#37 ·

:hug:

#38 ·
My layman's opinion: Autoimmune tends to be gut health related. If the microbiome balance is not restored quickly, the immune system is triggered and attacks the most inflamed part of the person (for a tennis person, her joints).
Gluten-free, dairy-free should help most autoimmune. Not heal completely, but help. She has no choice now but to go healthy, might need to bring a chef/cook with her. The carefree eating out days are over. She'll have to plan every meal now.

Reactions: Plies
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.