TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rome R3: Vondrousova def. Kasatkina 7-5 2-6 6-2
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 07:57 PM
reallyNow

Re: Rome R3: Vondrousova def. Kasatkina 7-5 2-6 6-2

Daria played better than I expected, TBH.
Despite the lopsided scoreline in the 3rd set it was actually quite grueling and physical with long rallies.
Daria has infinitely better hands at the net than Halep so dropshots were not automatic points this time.
Often Marketa would have to make another shot afterwards and in a few cases Daria actually prevailed.
Marketa served for the match at 5-1 but was broken only to break back to win.

I was surprised by how lively the Italian crowd seemed to be in its support for Vondrousova!
You could hear occasional cheers for Daria as well. The atmosphere was actually really nice.
It's good for Marketa to back up her big win because she has failed to do so in the past.
This time included to added challenge of having to play again on the same day so it was really a great effort.

I think Kasatkina actually showed signs of life here as well.
Her spins were keeping some balls in when you felt they were going out!
There were two standout instances for me, one on a volley after an exchange at the net and another on a forehand down the line.
Hopefully she can take some positives away from the tournament because she definitely has talent.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome