TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Grass summer wildcard speculation
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2018, 09:44 PM
country flag pesto

Re: Grass summer wildcard speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullow View Post
We'll see how it pans out in the coming days, but to me, looks like it will be Stosur (as top 20) plus those 3 Brits with WCs into Nottingham.
No, I think there are only 2 wildcards available to home players once 1 top player WC has been awarded. The other either goes "next in" or to another top player.

Confusing innit?

Taylor and Swan are in spiceboy's Nottingham qualie list without the need for a WC.

Boulter is not on that list, so unless she has picked up an injury, I think if she has withdrawn from Manc, it is for a MDWC in Nottingham. She is local, and the highest ranked, and won a $60K recently, so it'd be a shame for her not to get one.

I would have thought Gabi is the obvious second choice. She was picked for Fed Cup. She's higher-ranked than KS, she has not received a WTA MDWC before, and she's just notched up her first top-100 win, and backed that up in R2. And she's already won a grass title this year.

It'd be good for Swan not to need a WC this week, more leeway for giving her others later. She needed one for Surbiton, while the others were a bit higher-ranked, and were direct entrants.

But then again, who knows, Swan does seem to be an establishment fave.

I reckon all the others down to Dunne will be in Manc MD without a WC.

So, going into W3 Brum/Ilkley, it is probable that Broady, Dart and Dunne will not yet have needed wildcards for main draw entry.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome