TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Grass summer wildcard speculation
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:29 AM
country flag pesto

Re: Grass summer wildcard speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullow View Post
It'll be interesting to see how the WC picks go for the whole grass season, not just Wimbledon. It's also interesting looking back and seeing who were the main beneficiaries last year.

Obviously a lot will depend on how strong some of the WTA and ITF fields end up as this time yesterday, Boulter would have required a WC for Surbiton, whereas now she won't. Watson, Broady, Boulter and Robson seemed to come out best last year whereas Watson's ranking is a bit higher this year so that should free up some for others, probably mainly Taylor. Can't see Robson getting as many as last year either, so Dart, Swan and Dunne will likely be mainly competing for those.
I think Watson's ranking will only get her into Surbiton and Nottingham. Birmingham and Eastbourne are so strong. So I think she will get MDWCs for those two tournaments.

Doesn't Nottingham have only two free WCs, plus two top 20s, unless the top 20s aren't used, in which case they get an additional free one (as last year)?

The week of Wimby qualies, Eastbourne and Southsea is a puzzzler:

If I understand the new rules correctly, no-one in Wimby qualies can get WCs into Southsea or Eastbourne, so those will go to British or foreign players in the Wimby main draw (by right or by WC), and (probably) British players without even a Wimby QWC if there are any left over.

That's a probable scenario - if Watson gets a MDWC to Eastbourne, that leaves 7 others that week: 1 more Eastbourne MDWC, 4 into Qs, 2 into Southsea. But it's unlikely there will be 7 additional Brits below Watson in the Wimby main draw. Suppose there were 5 Wimby MDWCs given to Brits, and those 5 also received some type of WC this week. To whom do you give the remaining 2? Promising teenagers not yet warranting a Wimby QWC (Emma?)? Runners-up in the Wimby QWC play-offs?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome