TennisForum.com - View Single Post - my weekly rankings project
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2018, 07:07 PM
country flag Mark43

Re: my weekly rankings project

Iím still trying to understand how Martina took over the number one ranking so early in the year of 1978. If I understand your system correctly, there is no drop off of points from earlier in a 52 week ranking period - itís just simply an accumulation of both points earned as well as quality points for victories over highly ranked players? So, because Martina played so many more tournaments than Chris, she accumulated more points overall? Martina went on such an incredible run in Evertís absence during the winter of Ď78, just losing two matches, that it makes sense she could take over the top spot. I just thought it would have been later than January 16th. To me, it makes more sense that it would happen when Chrisís Slims finale drops off and Martinaís Slim victory is added in.

But again, what a wonderful and interesting thread.

Also, I am wondering if you have the official rankings from January 1978? I have always wondered where Goolagong debuted when she popped back on to the computer rankings? Iíve always wondered if she might have had the highest debut in WTA computer ranking history but Iíve never been able to locate those rankings. Much appreciated if you have them.
Thank you!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome