TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Were the Australian Open and French Open not considered majors in the 70s?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
country flag Matt-TennisFan24

Were the Australian Open and French Open not considered majors in the 70s?

I've been thinking about this lately as I notice that the best players in the world in the 70s (Chrissie, BJK, Martina, Wade) were mostly absent in these major tournaments, almost for the whole decade in the case of the AO (with the exception of 1973-1975) and from 1975 to roughly 1980 for RG (which is weird as it seemed it was quite important from the open era until that period).

So my question is, why did the top players skip these tournaments so much? Were they not considered important tournaments?

If so, then what were the other two big titles of the year apart from Wimbledon and the US Open? Seems to me that if such were the case, then these players should have a higher Slam count or at least an asterisk in their tally. Maybe their YEC titles should be added?

Fan of the Four Beauty Angels

Maria Sharapova (Career High-Ranking: #1, Career Grand Slam ) Caroline Wozniacki (Career High-Ranking: #1) Ana Ivanovic (Career High-Ranking: #1, RG Champion) Maria Kirilenko (Career High-Ranking: #10)

Kuznetsova Bacsinszky Svitolina Diatchenko

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome