TennisForum.com - View Single Post - 2006 Media
Thread: 2006 Media
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
country flag V.S.

2006 Media

Davenport, Serena Williams pull out of Tokyo eventJanuary 26, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (Ticker) - American stars Lindsay Davenport and Serena Williams will not be competing in next week's WTA Tour event in Tokyo.

Davenport and Williams on Thursday both announced their withdrawals from the $1.34 million Toray Pan Pacific Open.

Davenport, who lost in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open to Justine Henin-Hardenne and will lose her world No. 1 ranking to Kim Clijsters on Monday, will not play the event because of a left ankle injury sustained during the year's first major.

"Unfortunately, the left ankle that I injured during the Australian Open earlier this week will prevent me from competing in this year's Toray Pan Pacific Open," Davenport said. "This has always been one of my favorite tournaments and one of the premier events on the Tour, so I am really disappointed to miss this year's tournament. I look forward to getting back on the court as soon as this injury has healed." An overweight Williams, meanwhile, lost to Daniela Hantuchova in the third round of the Australian Open and determined that she needs additional practice time before competing at a Tour level. "I look forward to getting back to where I need to be and competing again on the Tour at my next scheduled event in Antwerp in mid-February".

The Official Fashionista of the Royal Court

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome