US Doubles at Longwood
Traditionally the Women's Doubles and Mixed Doubles were held with the singles at Philadelphia. In 1921 the Women's National Championships was moved to Forest Hills. It was decided at this time to peal off the Mixed Doubles and hold it with the Men's Doubles at Longwood Cricket Club near Boston.
This arrangement would last until 1935, when the Women's Doubles also came to Longwood. World War Two upset this order when all 5 events were played at Forest Hills, made possible by smaller draws with so many men off to war.
From 1946 to 1967 all the doubles, including mixed, were once again at Longwood. Open tennis put a final end to the Longwood epoch. From 1968 all five events would be held at one venue.
A summary of the "Longwood years."
1921-1933-- Mixed Doubles Championships (Singles and Doubles at Forest Hills)
1934--------Mixed Doubles at Philadelphia
1935-1941-- Doubles and Mixed Doubles (Singles at Forest Hills)
1942-1945---All events at Forest Hills due to World War II)
1946-1966-- Doubles (Singles and Mixed Doubles at Forest Hills)
1967--------Doubles and Mixed Doubles (Singles at Forest Hills)
1968 to now-All events at Forest Hills, then Flushing Meadows)
Last edited by Rollo; Jan 26th, 2017 at 12:39 AM.