Rate Maria's 2013 HC season - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: How do you rate it?
<4/10 0 0%
4/10 0 0%
5/10 0 0%
6/10 0 0%
7/10 1 14.29%
8/10 6 85.71%
9/10 0 0%
10/10 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Iblis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rome
Posts: 3,697
                     
Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

Why don't we share our thoughts about MaKiri's season so far? I'd like to know your opinion.
I'm personally going to evaluate every tournament she played, of course you don't have to feel obligated to do the same.

Sydney: def. Rogowska 7-5 6-2, lost to Errani 6-1 6-1
Maria clearly wasn't feeling well during that match against Sara (), though she decided not to retire. It's tough of course in this case to rate her performance, I'll go with a
5,5/10.

Australian Open: def. Vania King 6-4 6-2, def. Shuai Peng 7-5 6-2, def. Yanina Wickmayer 7-6 (4) 6-3, lost to Serena Williams 6-2 6-0.
First Slam of the year, and it was a great one in my opinion. Kiri beat quite easily (in straight sets) every player she was supposed to, even though the draw wasn't the easiest one. She also defended her R4 points. Against Serena it was impossible to do any better, that's for sure.
7,5/10.

Pattaya City: def. Akgul Amanmuradova 6-3 7-5, def. Luksika Kumkhum 5-7 6-2 6-2, def. Elena Vesnina 7-6 (6) 6-3, def. Sorana Cirstea 6-0 6-2, def. Sabine Lisicki 5-7 6-1 7-6 (1).
The tournament that ended Maria's title drought. It isn't obviously one of the most prestigious of the tour, but still she had to beat some good players in order to get it. We only got to see the SF and the Final; against Cirstea she played one of her best match in the season so far, the final against Lisicki was so dramatic, sometimes I cannot believe that she actually could have won it after that big choke during 3rd set, on 2-5*.
8,5/10.

Doha: lost to Bychkova 3-0 retired.
I hope this will be the first and at the same time last retirement of the whole year.


Indian Wells: def. Christina McHale 4-6 6-4 6-1, def. Mallory Burdette 6-3 4-6 6-2, def. Agnieszka Radwanska 6-1 4-6 7-5, def. Petra Kvitova 4-6 6-4 6-3, lost to Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-3.
It is unarguably the best tourney of this HC season, probably one of the best that Maria ever played in her whole career.
She had to pass through a 3-setter in every match, but still was capable to keep a great form until the end. The matches against Radwanska (that we did not get to see live ) and Kvitova were great, she was the underdog but manage to make two top ten win in a row. Unfortunately Big Masha was just too strong, anyway I couldn't be happier with Maria's performance.
9/10

Miami: def. Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-1 6-4, lost to Klara Zakopalova 6-2 7-6 (4).
Due to horrible tv covarage all we can saw about these matches was live results.
But that R2 loss was so disappointing, we cannot deny it.
4,5/10.

Monterrey: def. Ximena Hermoso 7-5 6-1, def. Jovana Jaksic 6-0 4-6 6-1, def. Urszula Radwanska 6-1 6-4, lost to Angelique Kerber 6-4 2-6 6-2.
A good tournament indeed, MaKiri played a beautiful aggressive tennis every match, was just too inconsistent against Kerber, where she lost a great chanche to put a big upset and get to another final. 7/10.


According to arithmetic mean the rate should be 7, but after I'll give her a 8/10.

p.s: I kinda noticed that I wrote a wall text, I doubt that someone will read everything.

MK ~ GM ~ MS ~ VA ~ EM ~ SK ~ CG ~ YW ~ TP ~ EV ~ LR
Iblis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Mixal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,120
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

7 because of Miami. Otherwise, I am very pleased with her results overall.

Dying Venus
Mixal is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
peterlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Tyrol
Posts: 1,576
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iblis View Post
p.s: I kinda noticed that I wrote a wall text, I doubt that someone will read everything.
I did so, and it was interesting

so here are my votes for each tourney:

Sydney: 5,25
Australian Open: 8,5
Pattaya City: 8,75
Doha: no vote
Indian Wells: 9
Miami: 6
Monterrey: 7,5

that's an average of 7,5.
I voted for 8/10

Maria Kirilenko

...olympic bronze medalist...
peterlein is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Remix13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,081
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

My votes for each tourney:

Sydney: 4 (won a match and got trashed)
Australian Open: 8 (3 convincing wins, lost to the behemoth)
Pattaya City: 10 (she won the tournament so it's perfect)
Indian Wells: 9 (beat 2 top 10 in a row, lost to Shasha in semis)
Miami: 3 (lost to Zakopalova, it's bad)
Monterrey: 7,5 (she did the job, lost a 3-setter vs Kerber)

That's an average of 7. But her overall performance is worth a 8

Maria Kirilenko
Remix13 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Iblis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rome
Posts: 3,697
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKiri rulezzz View Post
I did so, and it was interesting
Thanks.

MK ~ GM ~ MS ~ VA ~ EM ~ SK ~ CG ~ YW ~ TP ~ EV ~ LR
Iblis is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LV-426
Posts: 37,853
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

I'd give her a 7 1/2 to 8.

Francine Parker: What the hell are they?
Peter: They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.
Stephen: What?
Peter: Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Vodou. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth."

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Protoss is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,060
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

8/10 I think!
Ollie. is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 173
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

I'd give her a 7.5/10. She's been fairly solid on HCs all year long just a couple of blips in Sydney and Miami. She's managed 2 big name wins over Aga and Kvitty and came close to Angie in Monterrey. If she keeps this up i'm sure the top 10 won't be too far away.
NiMaria is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Iblis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rome
Posts: 3,697
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie_R View Post
8/10 I think!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMaria View Post
I'd give her a 7.5/10. She's been fairly solid on HCs all year long just a couple of blips in Sydney and Miami. She's managed 2 big name wins over Aga and Kvitty and came close to Angie in Monterrey. If she keeps this up i'm sure the top 10 won't be too far away.
That's cool, but why didn't you guys vote in the pool?

MK ~ GM ~ MS ~ VA ~ EM ~ SK ~ CG ~ YW ~ TP ~ EV ~ LR
Iblis is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Achernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 697
                     
Re: Rate Maria's 2013 HC season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iblis View Post
Why don't we share our thoughts about MaKiri's season so far? I'd like to know your opinion.
I'm personally going to evaluate every tournament she played, of course you don't have to feel obligated to do the same.

Sydney: def. Rogowska 7-5 6-2, lost to Errani 6-1 6-1
Maria clearly wasn't feeling well during that match against Sara (), though she decided not to retire. It's tough of course in this case to rate her performance, I'll go with a
5,5/10.

Australian Open: def. Vania King 6-4 6-2, def. Shuai Peng 7-5 6-2, def. Yanina Wickmayer 7-6 (4) 6-3, lost to Serena Williams 6-2 6-0.
First Slam of the year, and it was a great one in my opinion. Kiri beat quite easily (in straight sets) every player she was supposed to, even though the draw wasn't the easiest one. She also defended her R4 points. Against Serena it was impossible to do any better, that's for sure.
7,5/10.

Pattaya City: def. Akgul Amanmuradova 6-3 7-5, def. Luksika Kumkhum 5-7 6-2 6-2, def. Elena Vesnina 7-6 (6) 6-3, def. Sorana Cirstea 6-0 6-2, def. Sabine Lisicki 5-7 6-1 7-6 (1).
The tournament that ended Maria's title drought. It isn't obviously one of the most prestigious of the tour, but still she had to beat some good players in order to get it. We only got to see the SF and the Final; against Cirstea she played one of her best match in the season so far, the final against Lisicki was so dramatic, sometimes I cannot believe that she actually could have won it after that big choke during 3rd set, on 2-5*.
8,5/10.

Doha: lost to Bychkova 3-0 retired.
I hope this will be the first and at the same time last retirement of the whole year.


Indian Wells: def. Christina McHale 4-6 6-4 6-1, def. Mallory Burdette 6-3 4-6 6-2, def. Agnieszka Radwanska 6-1 4-6 7-5, def. Petra Kvitova 4-6 6-4 6-3, lost to Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-3.
It is unarguably the best tourney of this HC season, probably one of the best that Maria ever played in her whole career.
She had to pass through a 3-setter in every match, but still was capable to keep a great form until the end. The matches against Radwanska (that we did not get to see live ) and Kvitova were great, she was the underdog but manage to make two top ten win in a row. Unfortunately Big Masha was just too strong, anyway I couldn't be happier with Maria's performance.
9/10

Miami: def. Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-1 6-4, lost to Klara Zakopalova 6-2 7-6 (4).
Due to horrible tv covarage all we can saw about these matches was live results.
But that R2 loss was so disappointing, we cannot deny it.
4,5/10.

Monterrey: def. Ximena Hermoso 7-5 6-1, def. Jovana Jaksic 6-0 4-6 6-1, def. Urszula Radwanska 6-1 6-4, lost to Angelique Kerber 6-4 2-6 6-2.
A good tournament indeed, MaKiri played a beautiful aggressive tennis every match, was just too inconsistent against Kerber, where she lost a great chanche to put a big upset and get to another final. 7/10.


According to arithmetic mean the rate should be 7, but after I'll give her a 8/10.

p.s: I kinda noticed that I wrote a wall text, I doubt that someone will read everything.
I also read it (albeit a few weeks late) and it was really interesting.
I think I hadn't realized how great her HC season was.

Sydney: poor result but I don't think she stand a chance against Errani in the current state of things anyway. Errani is just playing too well. Hope I'm wrong though and Maria gets her revenge soon. 3/10

Australian Open: beating Wickmayer was a very good result. On the other hand I was surprised and disappointed at how little resistance she opposed to Serena, although we all knew she would lose. Still a nice result so I'll agree with the 7.5

Pattaya City: a title certainly deserved a 10/10
It's always a memorable moment in a career. That was just great.

Indian Wells: Another 10 from me. Beating Kvitova and Radwanska, along with other good players was impressive.

Miami: 5/10

Monterrey: she did her job, so I'll go with 6/10

My arithmetic average would be 7, but since she achieved most of her best results in the biggest tournaments, I give her a 8/10. And it's well deserved.
Achernar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome