The Dropper - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,839
                     
The Dropper

Ah--the drop shot. Certainly a weapon to have in any arsenal-and one of my favorite shots!

Let's discuss the dropper!
Rollo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,839
                     
Re: The Dropper

Mrs Chambers gives us her take-thanks to "The Computer" for originally posting this.


MRS LAMBERT CHAMBERS ANECDOTE - THE DROP SHOT

“A short drop shot from the back of the court is a very paying stroke to have at your command.

I remember playing one match were I used this stroke a great deal. Owing to its success – my opponent never even attempted to reach it - I won ace after ace.

At the end of the match my opponent indignantly upbraided me, ‘I cannot admire your length.’ she protested. Neither did she think it was ‘fair to play sneaks’, adding, ‘Anybody could win if they cared to play like that.’

In her opinion it wasn’t tennis! I’m afraid I did not take this censure very seriously. As the object of the game is to put the ball as far out of reach of your opponent as possible, I could not see what difference there was between making her run from side to side of the base-line or to the net and back again. Both methods as regards placing are just as good tennis, and should be used judiciously in turn.

But this sort of argument did not appeal to my opponent; she still thought any one could win who cared to play that ‘unsporting game’. Should she try the stroke in her next match I am quite sure she will find it not so easy to play accurately as she had imagined.”

Lawn Tennis for Ladies by Dorothea Lambert Chambers
Rollo is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 11:16 AM
Chionophile
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cryosphere
Posts: 39,589
                     
Re: The Dropper

I would sound like Mrs Chambers's opponent. I hate it when opponents dropshot against me. I'm always like why are you bringing me forward? And I do have that mentality that it isn't tennis. But that's mostly because I rarely ever hit them. I only hit them when I'm really in trouble. But I do think that Mrs Chambers makes a good point and that it's a shot that should be utilized more.

Dancing and Skating through Life


Sam L is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Ms. Anthropic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,514
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Ah--the drop shot. Certainly a weapon to have in any arsenal-and one of my favorite shots!

Let's discuss the dropper!
Steffi's use of them was often hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJpW_zy8rIg
Ms. Anthropic is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,839
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Steffi's use of them was often hilarious!
Her slice set her up so well for drops off that side. Depth, angle, angle, depth-then every so often the soft kiss of death.

At 40 seconds in on the replay her court positioning and technique are perfection.


This is a memorable drop shot ending point from their 1990 French final
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y24rUwYdU5M
Rollo is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Ms. Anthropic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,514
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Mrs Chambers gives us her take-thanks to "The Computer" for originally posting this.


MRS LAMBERT CHAMBERS ANECDOTE - THE DROP SHOT

“A short drop shot from the back of the court is a very paying stroke to have at your command.

I remember playing one match were I used this stroke a great deal. Owing to its success – my opponent never even attempted to reach it - I won ace after ace.

At the end of the match my opponent indignantly upbraided me, ‘I cannot admire your length.’ she protested. Neither did she think it was ‘fair to play sneaks’, adding, ‘Anybody could win if they cared to play like that.’

In her opinion it wasn’t tennis! I’m afraid I did not take this censure very seriously. As the object of the game is to put the ball as far out of reach of your opponent as possible, I could not see what difference there was between making her run from side to side of the base-line or to the net and back again. Both methods as regards placing are just as good tennis, and should be used judiciously in turn.

But this sort of argument did not appeal to my opponent; she still thought any one could win who cared to play that ‘unsporting game’. Should she try the stroke in her next match I am quite sure she will find it not so easy to play accurately as she had imagined.”

Lawn Tennis for Ladies by Dorothea Lambert Chambers
Wasn't the reaction to the first lob also something like this? Something like "You just killed the game" or "That's not fair" or "That's not tennis"? It's amazing how early and often tennis people wanted the game to be more or less a nail pounding contest...
Ms. Anthropic is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Ms. Anthropic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,514
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Her slice set her up so well for drops off that side. Depth, angle, angle, depth-then every so often the soft kiss of death.

At 40 seconds in on the replay her court positioning and technique are perfection.


This is a memorable drop shot ending point from their 1990 French final
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y24rUwYdU5M
The forehand drop shot Steffi hit in the first game of the last set (IIRC) of the 1988 USO final was pretty nuts. Gaby smacked a hard, flat return of serve cross court, Steffi just seemed to anticipate it perfectly, was quickly in position, and then undercut the ball at the last moment and died it down the line (IIRC). Change of direction drop shot off a "bullet" in a final set with the Grand Slam on the line. Lots of great drop shots through out that match.
Ms. Anthropic is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
louloubelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,861
                     
Re: The Dropper

One of the famous drop shots that I can remember was the one hit by Arantxa Sanchez vs Raffi Reggi match point down at Wimbledon 1989. Basically Reggi fell apart after that one and lost the match.

Arantxa and Chris Evert were probably the best exponents of this shot that I can remember.

There's more to life than just being happy.
louloubelle is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,839
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
One of the famous drop shots that I can remember was the one hit by Arantxa Sanchez vs Raffi Reggi match point down at Wimbledon 1989. Basically Reggi fell apart after that one and lost the match.

Arantxa and Chris Evert were probably the best exponents of this shot that I can remember.
Evert's forehand drop shot was utterly devastating. If I had to pick one dropper-it would be hers.

I don't recall her using a backhand drop nearly as much.

Here is good example-see 50 seconds in to the clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUm-fr4jC78

and later, at about 2:50 we see a long point where Austin tries a dropper, but it ends with an Evert drop shot, hit from in her backhand corner-a run around your basckhand drop shot!-LOL

Last edited by Rollo; Mar 6th, 2015 at 01:09 PM.
Rollo is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Sumarokov-Elston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 474
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Evert's forehand drop shot was utterly devastating. If I had to pick one dropper-it would be hers.

I don't recall her using a backhand drop nearly as much.
Because the backhand drop is easier, Rollo! The forehand drop shot out of nowhere is the hardest shot in the book and none could hit it quite like La Evert.* Matchpoint down against Monica Seles at 02:00:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGfXThqzD8

The best drop shot I ever saw was in the 1979 US Open final between arch-rivals Evert and Austin. Evert hit a drop shot that actually landed on the tape and then plopped over onto the other side of the court!

* Honourable mention to the Navratilova backhand drop shot, which gave Evert fits on grass.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,839
                     
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Because the backhand drop is easier, Rollo! The forehand drop shot out of nowhere is the hardest shot in the book and none could hit it quite like La Evert.* Matchpoint down against Monica Seles at 02:00:
Wow!

Quote:
Honourable mention to the Navratilova backhand drop shot, which gave Evert fits on grass.
Agreed. Martina was very tough, as was Billie Jean King.

Other famous drop shots: Elizabeth Ryan (one nickname for her was "chop and drop") Anita Lizana, and Doris Hart
Rollo is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Sumarokov-Elston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 474
                     
Re: The Dropper

Evonne Cawley hit one of the most jaw-dropping backhand shots ever seen (02:40) at the end of a long and very testing rally in the 1980 Wimbledon final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0hbgbDmVkc

The shot is even more impressive because I have a film of it taken by the cameras at the other end of the court. Evonne actually had to reach behind her to hit the ball, which was already behind her (hard enough in itself). Her shot comes out of nowhere, crosses the net at a crazy angle and just seems to drop dead.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
louloubelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,861
                     
Re: The Dropper

I should add Martina Hingis was up there with her backhand drop shot as well. Even on the run she could execute a perfect drop shot.

There's more to life than just being happy.
louloubelle is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 109
 
Re: The Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
Evonne Cawley hit one of the most jaw-dropping backhand shots ever seen (02:40) at the end of a long and very testing rally in the 1980 Wimbledon final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0hbgbDmVkc

The shot is even more impressive because I have a film of it taken by the cameras at the other end of the court. Evonne actually had to reach behind her to hit the ball, which was already behind her (hard enough in itself). Her shot comes out of nowhere, crosses the net at a crazy angle and just seems to drop dead.
That is a great shot. Not sure if it is actually a drop shot per se
Anna4077 is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Re: The Dropper

I'm a big admirer of those that can execute a truly good forehand drop. Backhands are thrilling too but a lot more common. I guess that's why I always get more satisfaction out of hitting an outright winner with a forehand drop shot.

It was my favorite shot of Chris' except when she was making one of my favorites look silly with it, which she did frequently. I have watched her forehand drop for years trying to figure out how she gets so much work on such simple preparation. Well disguised to be sure.

I loved Manuela's forehand dropper. She had some great touch on that side and was very good at carving under the ball from the baseline corner and dropping it with deadening spin in the opposite forecourt angled away.

I remember Martina hitting some audacious forehand drops for winners against Chris in the 1984 French final. And I don't think "drop shot" when I think about Steffi. But I remember her hitting a ridiculously good forehand drop shot against Zvereva (another good forehand dropper) early in the 1989 Family Circle Cup final.

I wonder what Daze's forehand drop shot is like with his wood racquet? I bet it's a good'n.

"I cannot survive in this world with my honesty." Hana Mandlikova
HanaFanGA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome