1. Pascal Paradis - French top 20 player, Wimbledon qtr-finalist beating Aussie Anne Minter on the way
Pascal was a flashy player and created a stir at the Aus Open one year when playing Chris Evert. Defeating Pascal would've given Chris her 1000th win which was to be celebrated with a cake with 1000 candles. Pascal won the first set and this sent everyone into a panic thinking the cake would be wasted. One organiser said that if Paradis won, then they would make her coach, which was Virginia Wade eat wax for the entire fortnight!! Chris won and they set the candles alight which eventually caught fire and if it wasn't smothered by a blanket the fire would've taken the marquee with it.
2. Elizabeth Minter - Younger sister of Anne. Top 100 player, leftie, didn't make too much of an impact on the tour. Left the tour after she completed a journalism degree by correspondence.
3. Marianne Werdel - Big, go for broke hitter who came into her own after she married later in her career. Thumped Sabatini in the 1st rnd of the Aussie open one year and went all the way to semis to lose to ASV. Got revenge @ the Liptons against ASV a few months later. Highest rank 21.
5. Sabrina Goles - Played for Yugoslavia but not sure of her nationality. Fed Cup player, top 30 player.
6. A. Cecchini - Known as Sandra, Italian, highest rank of 15. Touch player, game centered around her slice backhand. Feiry and managed a win over Evert. Chris said of this match something like, 'if you lose to Sandra then you know you've lost to yourself!'.
7. Patricia Hy - Family fled Cambodia during the killing fields to Hong Kong and played under that banner for a while. Then took out Canadian citizenship and played Fed Cup for them. Qtr-finalist at the US Open by beating Capriati and Sukova. I remember also took steffi graf to three sets a few times. Highest rank 28. Was President of WTA at one stage but landed herself in the middle of a law suit for some reason??
8. Petra Huber - Austrian maybe, played on the tour for a while.
9. Natalie Herreman - French leftie. Beat Mandlikova at the French one year and beat Capriati at the Liptons in one of jenny's first three or four tournies. Therefore stopping a potential 1st showdown between Seles and Capriati.
10. Michelle Torres - Top 18, US player. Baseliner with a tendency to moonball apparently. She used this tactic against Chris Evert once, to a point where Chris attacked the net after every point. A journalist said to Chris that wasn't she responsible for these moonballers. Chris snapped back: no, I never moonballed, i am agressive from the baseline!!