Anne Hobbs - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Anne Hobbs

Not the greatest player in the world but what a fighter. She did Britain proud. Would be great to hear what others thought of her.
iainmac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,839
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

I have to ask. Did the "Hobbitt" (what a cool nickname) ever discuss Tolkien?

Tennis-wise what was her greatest moment? She had some good doubles results. Was she the one who upset Pam Shriver at Royal Albert Hall to help capture the 1978 Wightman Cup?
Rollo is offline  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I have to ask. Did the "Hobbitt" (what a cool nickname) ever discuss Tolkien?

Tennis-wise what was her greatest moment? She had some good doubles results. Was she the one who upset Pam Shriver at Royal Albert Hall to help capture the 1978 Wightman Cup?
No Rollo. She did play in the 78 Wightman Cup but along with Sue Mappin lost in three sets to billie jean and tracy austin. She did however have a famous win over kathy jordan in the 80 wightman cup.
iainmac is offline  
 
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,825
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

She reached two Slam doubles finals- with Wendy Turnbull in 1983 in Australia, and 4 years later in the Mixed there with Andrew Castle... won sets both times, too. Also won the Canadian Open with Andrea Jaegar in 1983. In singles had loads of good wins over the years: Stove, Ruzici, Potter, Bunge, Kohde-Kilsh, Zvereva, Balestrat, Bassett, Garrison... I always thought she made the very best of what she was given. She was always in the shadow of first Wade and Barker, then Jo Durie and the likes of Annabel Croft.
Declan is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 59,290
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Was a very good doubles player - world class partnerships with both Jo Durie and Wendy Turnbull.
Wasn't she the only British Number One never to play a match as British Number one due to injury
AdeyC is online now  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
PamShriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In a Hottub with Judy Nel
Posts: 947
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

She was also the last Brit in the top 50 until Keothavong did it earlier this year.

That's what she said!!!
PamShriver is offline  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 01:42 AM
Jem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,393
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

I loved when Hobbs won her first title in Indianapolis one year. She wanted it so badly, and cried when she got it. She had some very good wins and very respectable career. She and Durie were among the first players I watched progress from the juniors to a pro career. The last I heard, Hobbs lived and coached in New York.
Jem is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
She reached two Slam doubles finals- with Wendy Turnbull in 1983 in Australia, and 4 years later in the Mixed there with Andrew Castle... won sets both times, too. Also won the Canadian Open with Andrea Jaegar in 1983. In singles had loads of good wins over the years: Stove, Ruzici, Potter, Bunge, Kohde-Kilsh, Zvereva, Balestrat, Bassett, Garrison... I always thought she made the very best of what she was given. She was always in the shadow of first Wade and Barker, then Jo Durie and the likes of Annabel Croft.
Actually Declan it was three grand slam finals as she also reached the US Open final in 1984 with Turnbull and lost there to Navratilova/Shriver 2and 4. I think she and Castle had match points in that final against Stewart and Garrison.
I agree, she had great wins over the years and some famous ones- and really had a stranglehold on Virginia Wade. She also gave Sue Barker and Jo Durie really tough matches if she hadnt actually beaten them.
I agree she was a bit in the shadows of Wade, Barker and Durie.
iainmac is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Was a very good doubles player - world class partnerships with both Jo Durie and Wendy Turnbull.
Wasn't she the only British Number One never to play a match as British Number one due to injury
That sounds familiar. She had a really good 1987 and reached the last at the US Open but was not able to compete and her ranking went into free fall.
Great partnerships with Durie and Turnbull. Also very effective with the great Andrea Jaeger in the summer of 83 when for some reason she did not play with Durie.
iainmac is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamShriver View Post
She was also the last Brit in the top 50 until Keothavong did it earlier this year.
Don't want to argue with a great like you Pam, but I think it was Jo Durie and not Hobbs who was the last top 50 player before Keothavong
iainmac is offline  
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
I loved when Hobbs won her first title in Indianapolis one year. She wanted it so badly, and cried when she got it. She had some very good wins and very respectable career. She and Durie were among the first players I watched progress from the juniors to a pro career. The last I heard, Hobbs lived and coached in New York.
Thats right I remember that win over Ginny Purdy in the final 646764 i think. It set her up for a good year when she had fantastic doubles results and reached the last 16 of the French Open, giving Jaeger a reasonable match there.
She has her own website which advertises her coaching and she is endorsed on it by BJK who admired the guts and determination that Hobbs always showed.
iainmac is offline  
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 59,290
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Don't want to argue with a great like you Pam, but I think it was Jo Durie and not Hobbs who was the last top 50 player before Keothavong
Yes it was Jo Durie
AdeyC is online now  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Yes it was Jo Durie
Thanks Adey, I thougt so.
iainmac is offline  
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 1,825
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Don't want to argue with a great like you Pam, but I think it was Jo Durie and not Hobbs who was the last top 50 player before Keothavong
Yeah-and Sara Gomer was in the Top 50 in 1988, much later than Ann troubled it!
Declan is offline  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,782
                     
Re: Anne Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Yeah-and Sara Gomer was in the Top 50 in 1988, much later than Ann troubled it!
That is right Declan, I am glad that at least you and I remember Sara Gomer.
iainmac is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome