Martina Hingis will have surgery on her left ankle
Former world number one Martina Hingis pulls out of the French Open to undergo surgery on her injured ankle.
Tests conducted in Zurich revealed the 21-year-old had torn ligaments in her left ankle.
She will have surgery on 20 May.
"I am obviously very disappointed that I will be unable to play in Paris," Hingis said in the statement.
"However I am hopeful that the surgery on Monday will go well and that I can look forward to a speedy recovery.
"I will just need some time to rest and start a rehabilitation programme."
The statement issued by the WTA Tour said specualtion that the injury could spell an end to the Swiss player's career were "premature and unwarranted".
Hingis, who has not won a Grand Slam title since 1999, filed a $40m lawsuit against Sergio Tacchini in June last year, claiming the shoes she wore between 1996 and 1999 were "defective" and "unsuitable for competition".
The five-times grand slam champion missed the German Open last week as well as this week's Italian Open.
Hingis' manager Mario Widmer confirmed that Hingis has been suffering from injury problems for the last two years.
"We want to resolve this once and for all." Widmer said.
The French Open is the only Grand Slam Hingis has yet to capture, although she has reached the final twice