Odd doubles pairings - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Odd doubles pairings

I was looking at some results from 1987 and noticed something that I had long forgotten about the doubles at the US Open that year. I'm not sure why since Gigi was still partnering Robin White, but Gigi paired with Chris Evert for that tournament. They made it as far as they could (3rd or 4th round) before matching up against Martina and Pam. The dynamic duo beat them 6-1, 6-0 but I'd still like to see that match.

So that got me to looking at some odd doubles pairings and even thinking of some partnerships that I would have liked to have seen. Some examples:

86 French: Martina and Temesvari
87 Tokyo: Pam and Helena
89 LA: Mary Joe and Khode Kilsch
89 LA: Hana and Provis
86 Candian: Gaby and Zina
87 Hilton Head: Gaby and Khode Kilsch
92 Zurich: Steffi and Jana
85 Lipton: Hana and Kathy Jordan (they didnt like each other)
90 Boca: BJK and Capriati
88 Oakland: Martina and Rosie
85 Hilton Head: Chris and Anne white
92 Italian: Monica and Helena
85 French: Chris and Paradis
89 Hopman Cup: Hana and Pat Cash

hypothetical pairings:

Martina and Mac (the ultimate)
Martina and Chris (later in their careers)
Hana and Connors (just for fun )
Chris and Steffi
Hana and Gaby
Pam and Khode Kilsch (Mr. Kilsch's idea of course)

Can you guys think of others?
HanaFanGA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Can you imagine Margaret Court and Billie Jean King?
alfajeffster is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 411
                     
BJK and Jack Kramer
Rosie and Bobby Riggs
Bill Tilden with either Suzanne or Helen Wills
Eleanor Tennant and Julian Myrick

Martina Navratilova and Margaret Court
Conchita and Patty S
Serena williams and Mariana Alves
RoanHJ is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,619
                     
1969

Ann Jones pulled out injured form US Open so Darlene Hard, who had turned pro in 1964, slotted into the doubles with Francoise Durr. This scratch pair stormed through to win the event - yet another partner Francoise won a Slam title with.
chris whiteside is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
Posts: 4,918
                     
I'd have liked to see Martina and Steffi play the doubles at Wimbledon the year they planned to. Sadly, Steffi had an attack of mild flatulence, a blackhead on her nose, an ingrowing whisker or some such injury and pulled out at the last minute. Meeow
Andy T is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I'd have liked to see Martina and Steffi play the doubles at Wimbledon the year they planned to. Sadly, Steffi had an attack of mild flatulence, a blackhead on her nose, an ingrowing whisker or some such injury and pulled out at the last minute. Meeow
That or she became a little uncomfortable over "all the girls in the locker room drooling" over her legs. Meeow!
alfajeffster is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHJ
BJK and Jack Kramer
Rosie and Bobby Riggs
Bill Tilden with either Suzanne or Helen Wills
Eleanor Tennant and Julian Myrick

Martina Navratilova and Margaret Court
Conchita and Patty S
Serena williams and Mariana Alves
Martina and Margaret actually did play doubles once, in a minor tournament in Florida one year in the mid-70s. LOL at Rosie/Bobby- she was the picture of a militant furry-legged feminazi in the booth during the King/Riggs televised fiasco!
alfajeffster is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,551
                     
Court/Casals played quite a few tournaments together. Seems odd since Court and King didn't really get along.

Evert and Anne White actually played a few times together late in Evert's career. They won Hilton Head over Kohde-Kilsch/Sukova and Graf/Tanvier.

Jaeger/Anne White is interesting. In Jaeger's book she talked about being called out of her high school to play a singles match in Chicago that had been moved up. She arrived ASAP but had to run right on the court with no prep. Her opponent didn't hit any balls in during warm-up (apparently in an attempt to keep her cold). She destroyed the opponent but there was no love lost in process. Apparently this opponent was Anne White. Yet they played doubles together at the '85 USO and lost 76 in the third to Garrison/Rinaldi.

In the early 80's Navratilova/Shriver were no.1 and Jordan/A. Smith were no.2. At the '82 FO, Shriver and Jordan didn't enter so the top rivals joined together and Navratilova/A.Smith won the title over Casals Turnbull.
preacherfan is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,551
                     
Renee Richards/John Lucas (African-American NBA player and tennis player) has to be an unusual match.
preacherfan is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Can you imagine Margaret Court and Billie Jean King?

I doubt there's a court big enough to hold that team!
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I'd have liked to see Martina and Steffi play the doubles at Wimbledon the year they planned to. Sadly, Steffi had an attack of mild flatulence, a blackhead on her nose, an ingrowing whisker or some such injury and pulled out at the last minute. Meeow
ROTFLMAO!!
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
Posts: 4,918
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
That or she became a little uncomfortable over "all the girls in the locker room drooling" over her legs. Meeow!
Ok, fit your snorkle, I'm going lower...

Rather than the legs, I bet thet were fantasising about that megaconk.
Andy T is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
raquel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Legendary!
Posts: 7,096
                     
I started a thread about surprising partnerships a long time ago if anyone wants to see it - http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=48917

If you reply to it though it will be in General Messages so probably best to reply in here
raquel is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel
I started a thread about surprising partnerships a long time ago if anyone wants to see it - http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=48917

If you reply to it though it will be in General Messages so probably best to reply in here

Thanks Raquel! Aranxta alone produced a bunch of teams that you normally wouldn't think about. In fact womens doubles of the 90's (aside from a very few long term teams) was extremely incestuous!
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
samn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 2,960
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA
I was looking at some results from 1987 and noticed something that I had long forgotten about the doubles at the US Open that year. I'm not sure why since Gigi was still partnering Robin White, but Gigi paired with Chris Evert for that tournament. They made it as far as they could (3rd or 4th round) before matching up against Martina and Pam. The dynamic duo beat them 6-1, 6-0 but I'd still like to see that match.

So that got me to looking at some odd doubles pairings and even thinking of some partnerships that I would have liked to have seen. Some examples:

86 French: Martina and Temesvari
87 Tokyo: Pam and Helena
89 LA: Mary Joe and Khode Kilsch
89 LA: Hana and Provis
86 Candian: Gaby and Zina
87 Hilton Head: Gaby and Khode Kilsch
92 Zurich: Steffi and Jana
85 Lipton: Hana and Kathy Jordan (they didnt like each other)
90 Boca: BJK and Capriati
88 Oakland: Martina and Rosie
85 Hilton Head: Chris and Anne white
92 Italian: Monica and Helena
85 French: Chris and Paradis
89 Hopman Cup: Hana and Pat Cash
I'd add Graf/McNeil @ USO '90 and the occasional Graf/Shriver pairing in the mid-90s to that list of odd partnerships.

Quote:
hypothetical pairings:

Martina and Mac (the ultimate)
Martina and Chris (later in their careers)
Hana and Connors (just for fun )
Chris and Steffi
Hana and Gaby
Pam and Khode Kilsch (Mr. Kilsch's idea of course)

Can you guys think of others?
Nah, Chris and Steffi would have been really ineffective against a top doubles team. I mean, they might have won against the likes of Ruano-Pascual/Suarez, but any team with good net players would have eaten them alive. I think Graf would have been a lot more effective with a serve-volley player like Sukova who, incidentally, was Graf's partner in her (Graf's, I mean) only career doubles win over Navratilova at Berlin 1986.

Other pairings I'd love to have seen:
Hingis/Navratilova
Graf/Mandlikova
Sabatini/Sukova
Evert/Novotna
Potter/Zvereva
Edberg/Mandlikova
McEnroe/Evert
Navratilova/Becker
Graf/Mecir

Oh, and Graf/Hingis at the French Open on Court Central
samn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome