TTC: '86 Fed Cup + Rosie interview - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2004, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tallahassee,FL
Posts: 674
                     
TTC: '86 Fed Cup + Rosie interview

Heads up for those who get the Tennis Channel - a few interesting programs of note this coming month:

Oct 9, 2004 (Saturday) Federation Cup highlights from the 1986 final: USA (Shriver, Evert, Navratilova) vs Czech (Mandlikova, Sukova & others) 60 minutes in length

Oct 12, 2004 Kremlin Cup Classic 2000 finals, Hingis vs. Kournikova

Oct 17, 2004 (World Premiere!) Rosie Casals 30 minute interview on "Center Court with Chris Meyers"

Oct 25, 2004 A Long Way Baby: 30 minute newsreel of the 1973 US Open

Last edited by Santorofan; Oct 19th, 2004 at 04:23 AM. Reason: (Update)
Santorofan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,848
                     
Rollo will barter, trade, pay etc if anyone tapes the 1986 Fed Cup tape and especially the Rosie Casals interview.

Pity poor me with TTC.
Rollo is offline  
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Rollo will barter, trade, pay etc if anyone tapes the 1986 Fed Cup tape and especially the Rosie Casals interview.

Pity poor me with TTC.
OMG!!! And I will run over Rollo to beat him to the 86 Fed Cup highlights! No, just kidding. Actually, I'm not sure if I have the strength to watch those highlights. But if I did get that and didn't like it, I could always send it giftwrapped to my good friend AndyT.
HanaFanGA is offline  
 
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
Posts: 4,918
                     
Do that HanaFanGA and I'd be yours for ever

ps - hearty greetings from JeanMi18 (aka Chrissie) and myself. He's been trying to lead me astray all weekend and introduce me to the cold, calculating and promiscuous world of Mlle Evert but I have resisted all temptation!

Traits Gandhi considered the most spiritually perilous to humanity.
*Wealth without Work * Pleasure without Conscience

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline  
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Do that HanaFanGA and I'd be yours for ever

ps - hearty greetings from JeanMi18 (aka Chrissie) and myself. He's been trying to lead me astray all weekend and introduce me to the cold, calculating and promiscuous world of Mlle Evert but I have resisted all temptation!
Give my best to Jean Michel! But do be careful of those Chrissie fans. Like the one they serve, they're not as "goodie two shoes" as they appear!
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,074
                     
the 86 fed cup has already been shown earlier in the year...its an hour program...the chris/sukova match is about 10 minutes of footage (7-6 7-5) or some such score in favor of evert and they dont show the part where hana puts down her racquet and refuses to play until they announce martina's name over the loudspeaker, which politically the czech republic officials had refused to do. that was a disappointing omission from the broadcast, but the footage, as a whole, is good to have.
[email protected], yo.
daze11 is offline  
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Senior Member
 
daze11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: BrOoKLyN, NY
Posts: 3,074
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA
Give my best to Jean Michel! But do be careful of those Chrissie fans. Like the one they serve, they're not as "goodie two shoes" as they appear!
that is a FACT!!

wow, look at the whole gang back together!! glad i stopped by...i feel like we all just went out for drinks!...

hanafanGA, i'm watching some footage of the complete-early-round-89-uso of evert's matches, and there's a clip of hana winning 7-6 in the 3rd in the first round!! who knew eva pfaff had it in her? hana must've been on the rag.

also guys, i got a 10-min clip of evert on the dave letterman show in 86...he tells her he'd like her to "come back after the show for some hot, moist therapy"...it was clear he thought she was 'available' for dilly-dallying with random men chris was less convinced that dave letterman was her type, however. he says, 'we're just going to talk, right?' and she says, 'i hope so.'

Last edited by daze11; Sep 30th, 2004 at 04:35 AM.
daze11 is offline  
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
that is a FACT!!

wow, look at the whole gang back together!! glad i stopped by...i feel like we all just went out for drinks!...

hanafanGA, i'm watching some footage of the complete-early-round-89-uso of evert's matches, and there's a clip of hana winning 7-6 in the 3rd in the first round!! who knew eva pfaff had it in her? hana must've been on the rag.

also guys, i got a 10-min clip of evert on the dave letterman show in 86...he tells her he'd like her to "come back after the show for some hot, moist therapy"...it was clear he thought she was 'available' for dilly-dallying with random men chris was less convinced that dave letterman was her type, however. he says, 'we're just going to talk, right?' and she says, 'i hope so.'

I think I remember them showing the last point or two in that match with Pfaf. Hana hit a sparkling forehand pass down the line on match point to win but walked back to the chair as if she'd lost the match. I think post-Wimbledon '89, it was setting in on Hana that she'd never be top 5 or a threat to win Wimby again.

But Pfaf could be a tough customer for some of the top players. I think she actually owned a previous win over Hana in 1983. Maybe Carling was right, "Who hasn't beaten Hana?" Also, I think Pfaf was a formidable doubles player in her day. I think she even partnered Steffi early on for a tourney or two.

And yes, it IS great to see all my old tennis pals again!

P.s. I wish that doc on 86 Prague had shown what Hana did for Martina. I never saw it publicized in any newspaper accounts here or in commentary on our tv stations in the much ballyhooed "Martina's return home." But if Judy Nelson's book was good for nothing else, it was the source that recounted how Hana did (2) extraordinary things on behalf of Martina and also paid homage to Chris.

As captian of the host nation, Hana had to address the crowd at the opening ceremonies where each nation marched into the Revnice Stadium. Hana told the Czech crowd that she was proud for a great champion like Chris Evert to see her homeland and for the Czech people to be able to see her as well.

She then called Martina out by name which made Martina wince. She feared that Hana had just gotten herself into deep trouble because the official stance by the Czechs was to let Martina play but not to publicize her in any way as they had always treated her since the defection. This included putting the US out on a small outer court in the early rounds.

Then, before their much anticipated match, Hana insisted on the umpire introducing Martina by name. When he refused, she threw her racket down and refused to play until he did. Eventually Martina was introduced and the crowd showed its approval.

Of course Hana lost. Chris Evert and others went on to say that the Czech crowd cheered for Martina over Hana. However World Tennis magazine reported it differently. Their article says that the crowd cheered for whichever player hit a good shot. At 5-5 the Czechs then invoked the national cheer on behalf of Hana. But Hana double faulted the set away and the crowd cheered Martina throughout her 6-1 second set win.

Despite this, when leaving the court, Hana put her arm around Martina and they walked off the court together. World Tennis included a picture of that moment.

All of this makes me believe that while Hana's wedding during that tournament was strange to say the least. It wasn't an attempt to take attention away from Martina. It was simply convenient because she was in Prague that week which in those days was a rare trip home.

I just wish that this all had recieved a little more publicity here in the States because it showed a different side to Hana than most Americans got to see of her.

Last edited by HanaFanGA; Sep 30th, 2004 at 05:35 PM.
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tallahassee,FL
Posts: 674
                     
'86 Fed Cup Finals

HanaFanGA: Thanks tons for filling in those like myself who were formally unaware of such classy behavior on Hana's part. Personally I had taken a break from following tennis closely during this time period, so I found the information you provided here to be particularly insightful. This is precisely the kind of posting that I enjoy reading most on this board - the often little-known contributions of not just talented champions, but even more, wonderful, decent human beings.

PS: Hana should feel lucky to have fans like you - in your assorted postings you've increased both my awareness and respect for this great player - and part of this undoubtedly has to do with the specific way you express your thoughts and impressions about her...in a positive, thoughtful manner that doesn't focus upon insulting the achievements of her rivals, etc. I look forward to reading more such postings!
Santorofan is offline  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2004, 02:11 AM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorofan
HanaFanGA: Thanks tons for filling in those like myself who were formally unaware of such classy behavior on Hana's part. Personally I had taken a break from following tennis closely during this time period, so I found the information you provided here to be particularly insightful. This is precisely the kind of posting that I enjoy reading most on this board - the often little-known contributions of not just talented champions, but even more, wonderful, decent human beings.

PS: Hana should feel lucky to have fans like you - in your assorted postings you've increased both my awareness and respect for this great player - and part of this undoubtedly has to do with the specific way you express your thoughts and impressions about her...in a positive, thoughtful manner that doesn't focus upon insulting the achievements of her rivals, etc. I look forward to reading more such postings!

Thanks Santorofan! Coming from you, that's very high praise! I only wish that the original "HanaFan" from Paris still posted here. He knew a lot more than I ever knew. He was president of Hana's French fan club and was able to see her play many times throughout Europe. They even had newsletters that they sent out.

I've also learned a lot from others here but otherwise I've had to scour for info. as Hana wasn't as visible in this country as she was in the rest of the world.

Anytime I look at tennis related book in a book store, I always check the index first to see if there's a reference to Hana. Otherwise, I probably would never have bought Judy Nelson's book and wouldn't have known about half of the story that I relayed about the 86 Fed Cup.
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tallahassee,FL
Posts: 674
                     
HanaFanGA: You're right, I don't throw praise around at the drop of a hat, as I am nobody's sycophant and always attempt to be genuine.

Perhaps Hana's #1 French Fan will return still yet, though for now it seems her torch has been passed to you
Santorofan is offline  
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
samn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 2,960
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA

Anytime I look at tennis related book in a book store, I always check the index first to see if there's a reference to Hana.
I do the same with Martina and Steffi.

Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline  
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
I do the same with Martina and Steffi.

That's cuz brilliant minds think alike!
HanaFanGA is offline  
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tallahassee,FL
Posts: 674
                     
Ttc

HanafanGA: I watched the '86 Fed Cup 60 min program the other night and found that your posting was correct - the Czech crowd was fair to both players, always applauding good shots/not their opponents errors, as Martina herself mentioned in her post-match interview. Concerning the match itself, it was dead even until Hana somehow lost her bearings at 5-5 in the first set. Seemed she just played a few loose points on her service game and the set was over, and with it, the match. On paper I thought Hana had a good shot, being that clay was Martina's weakest surface. It's a shame it wasn't closer.

Regarding the rest, it was a nice bonus that Virginia Wade did the commentating, as it's been a while since I'd heard her insightful, intelligent, objective analysis.

Only about 15 minutes were devoted to the Evert-Sukova match, though it was a far closer contest, Chrissie only escaping by the skin of her teeth. Clearly Evert was nowhere near as sharp as she'd been at Roland Garros earlier that year, though IMO played just solidly enough to edge Helena in the second set tie-breaker, tossing her racket in the air after winning an exchange at net on match point. All credit to Sukova however for putting forward such a game effort...

Looking forward to Rosie on Sunday night!
Santorofan is offline  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
HanaFanGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,508
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorofan
HanafanGA: I watched the '86 Fed Cup 60 min program the other night and found that your posting was correct - the Czech crowd was fair to both players, always applauding good shots/not their opponents errors, as Martina herself mentioned in her post-match interview. Concerning the match itself, it was dead even until Hana somehow lost her bearings at 5-5 in the first set. Seemed she just played a few loose points on her service game and the set was over, and with it, the match. On paper I thought Hana had a good shot, being that clay was Martina's weakest surface. It's a shame it wasn't closer.

Regarding the rest, it was a nice bonus that Virginia Wade did the commentating, as it's been a while since I'd heard her insightful, intelligent, objective analysis.

Only about 15 minutes were devoted to the Evert-Sukova match, though it was a far closer contest, Chrissie only escaping by the skin of her teeth. Clearly Evert was nowhere near as sharp as she'd been at Roland Garros earlier that year, though IMO played just solidly enough to edge Helena in the second set tie-breaker, tossing her racket in the air after winning an exchange at net on match point. All credit to Sukova however for putting forward such a game effort...

Looking forward to Rosie on Sunday night!
Thanks for the review Santoro! The Chris/Helena match isn't talked about very much but Helena did indeed give Chris a fit on clay. To be fair to Chris, she was playing with a bum knee...but playing nonetheless. If you'll remember Sukova did reach the French semis that year losing a close 3 set match to Martina. I think she even had a chance to win in the second set tie break. But regardless, the match against Chris showed that she could play her game quite well on clay.....under the right conditions.

As for the showdown with Martina, I was cheering for the red, white, and blue.......oh wait both the American and Czech flags are red, white, and blue! LOL Needless to say, my loyalties were split. And, as an admirer of Martina, I was also happy for her as well. Can you imagine not being to see your homeland for almost 10 years?

But the Hana/Martina matchups on clay were funny. Clay was Hana's least favorite surface but she was still quite good on it. But I think the difference between Hana and Martina on that surface was that Martina's serve stood up better on the slower courts. That's the only reason that I can think of to explain Hana never beating Martina on clay. Perhaps AndyT could share his thoughts on that.
HanaFanGA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome