Wightman Cup Revival - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Chionophile
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cryosphere
Posts: 39,560
                     
Wightman Cup Revival

UK vs USA. With Konta making history at the Australian Open and with Heather Watson in the top 100 and Laura Robson still around, do you think it would be a good idea to revive Wightman Cup? Last played 1989. I caught the tail end of the this competition made famous by that Capriati-Wood 6-0 6-0 infamous encounter.

What do you all think? Can it work?

Dancing and Skating through Life


Sam L is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2016, 10:37 PM
TT Board Member/BSG co:Creator w/sfar
 
AdeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton
Posts: 59,289
                     
Re: Wightman Cup Revival

Would be interesting if they did.

Although there were times then when Wade, Barker, Durie, Hobbs and Gomer were top 50 players and there were still those 7-0 defeats

Tennis Tipping
Singles (Rank : 18) (High : 1 - 11 weeks)

Titles (13) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, GB Fed Cup, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome, YEC Singapore, 2015 - Stanford, GB Fed Cup, Antayla, 2016 - Bogota, Olympics, 2017 - Nurnberg, QF - FRENCH OPEN, Milovice, 2018 - Stuttgart
Doubles - (Rank : 2) (High : 1 - 32 weeks)
Titles - (25) - 2010 - Bogota, Bad Gastein, Karuizawa, Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, Poitiers, Bratislava, 2012 - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, Bertioga, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein, 2015 - Nottingham, Ortisei, 2016 - Brisbane, Glasgow, St Petersburg, Toyota, 2017 - Contrexeville, Bastad, Stanford, Balatonboglar, Hammamet, 2018 - Eastbourne, Antayla, 2019 - AUSTRALIAN OPEN
AdeyC is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
 
Re: Wightman Cup Revival

I don't think there's any reason for reviving the Wightman Cup. It was originally intended to be the women's world team championship, but when it was launched, in the 1920s, only the USA and Britain were interested, which was why it was always a two-way contest. It was abandoned because the disparity between the two nations became so wide that there was no point in continuing. The difference in playing standard of the USA and Britain is still too wide to make it competitive or valid. If the US team was full strength - ie with Serena Williams and all the other Americans in the Top 100 - the British would be flattened.
Jhaylett is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13,200
                     
Re: Wightman Cup Revival

The absence of Serena Williams would probably make a revived Wightman Cup relatively competitive given the talents of players like Jo Konta and Heather Watson. But Hazel Wightman's original idea was for an equivalent to the Davis Cup and that is what the FedCup essentially is.
--

A link for fans of the Wightman Cup:

https://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast-...ults-more.html
-----
newmark401 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Chionophile
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cryosphere
Posts: 39,560
                     
Re: Wightman Cup Revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Would be interesting if they did.

Although there were times then when Wade, Barker, Durie, Hobbs and Gomer were top 50 players and there were still those 7-0 defeats
That's true. The popularity disparity between the two countries makes it very hard to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaylett View Post
I don't think there's any reason for reviving the Wightman Cup. It was originally intended to be the women's world team championship, but when it was launched, in the 1920s, only the USA and Britain were interested, which was why it was always a two-way contest. It was abandoned because the disparity between the two nations became so wide that there was no point in continuing. The difference in playing standard of the USA and Britain is still too wide to make it competitive or valid. If the US team was full strength - ie with Serena Williams and all the other Americans in the Top 100 - the British would be flattened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
The absence of Serena Williams would probably make a revived Wightman Cup relatively competitive given the talents of players like Jo Konta and Heather Watson. But Hazel Wightman's original idea was for an equivalent to the Davis Cup and that is what the FedCup essentially is.
--

A link for fans of the Wightman Cup:

https://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast-...ults-more.html
-----
Thanks Mark. Yes, I agree that it existed because there was no equivalent of Davis Cup but I think it would still be a nice idea to keep a historical event going if the will and the competition is there.

Dancing and Skating through Life


Sam L is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome