Offensive and racist tags - TennisForum.com
 47Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
All I want for Christmas is EU
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London
Posts: 32,276
                     
Offensive and racist tags

Overall I have to say, I think all of you guys in the tech department have done a pretty fine job with the TF overhaul. Several very nice features have been added and that is a good thing.

But enough about that. One feature which has been added which would have seemed quite a fun and innocuous thing on the surface seems to have been hijacked by some pretty malicious people. That is the use of tags. Over the last few days, these tags have grown increasingly nasty, tasteless and even racist, sexist and homophobic. Obviously this was not the intended use of them but it does seem the fact that from what I can see they seem to be added anonymously does look like it is causing problems. Hopefully, it should be clear to the administrators and moderators who is behind these tags and not only can they be removed but the people, or person who is making them can be dealt with in a suitable manner. Whether that involves simply giving warnings or banning people I will leave up to the wisdom of the people who work on this site. But it clear something needs to be done and a lot of the tags I am seeing right now are absolutely not appropriate for this forum to put it mildly.
Shvedbarilescu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
New-Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 7,945
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Thank you for this thread. I was going to make a thread about this. I just spent the last 5 minutes reporting threads that had these tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Rena has about 6/7 years left in her. She isn't going to be winning slams in bunches for more than 3/4 years, however. She starts with 7 slams. I think, realistically, she will finish her career with between 12 and 18 slams. Maria Sharapova has the most potential. She has one, but has 12 years left in her, with 9/10 years of heavy slam winning potential. She could end up with 22 grand slams easily.
New-Era is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,092
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

The same rules apply to tags as they do for posts. We can identify who placed them, so by all means report them, so we can take measures against those placing offensive and racist tags.
James is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
All I want for Christmas is EU
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London
Posts: 32,276
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The same rules apply to tags as they do for posts. We can identify who placed them, so by all means report them, so we can take measures against those placing offensive and racist tags.
James, right now it is really out of hand. There are extremely racist tags all over the place, many that are too offensive to print here. There are also many tags suggesting various players are whores, dycks etc. Aids is mentioned tastelessly in another tag and many of the nasty tags aren't comically nasty but just plain unkind. Honestly there are so many of these tags right now that reporting them all individually would take ages. But a quick look using classic I format displays them all and hopefully these can all be sorted out before too long. I am sure such tags would be very offputting to a lot of people here, rightly so.

My guess is it is probably a small number of posters involved in this and hopefully these perpetrators can be dealt with in a way that this does not continue.
Shvedbarilescu is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,092
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
James, right now it is really out of hand. There are extremely racist tags all over the place, many that are too offensive to print here. There are also many tags suggesting various players are whores, dycks etc. Aids is mentioned tastelessly in another tag and many of the nasty tags aren't comically nasty but just plain unkind. Honestly there are so many of these tags right now that reporting them all individually would take ages. But a quick look using classic I format displays them all and hopefully these can all be sorted out before too long. I am sure such tags would be very offputting to a lot of people here, rightly so.

My guess is it is probably a small number of posters involved in this and hopefully these perpetrators can be dealt with in a way that this does not continue.
Yes, small number, big damage, no fun. We are doing to best to go through threads removing them. Feel free to report some of them, if we miss any.
Shvedbarilescu and bluwaters like this.
James is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
All I want for Christmas is EU
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London
Posts: 32,276
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Yes, small number, big damage, no fun. We are doing to best to go through threads removing them. Feel free to report some of them, if we miss any.


It can't be fun being an administrator a lot of the time.
Shvedbarilescu is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,092
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Tags have been switched off for the time being.
James is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,092
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
How exactly (where?) are we supposed to report tags? Should we just "report" a random post in the thread, or is there a different way I'm not aware of?





Thanks for fixing the issue.
Yes, any post in the thread, the top post for example. The report can include that it is the tags you want us to look at. It is the same procedure as reporting a rep.
Shvedbarilescu and bluwaters like this.
James is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,463
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Tags have been switched off for the time being.
They're not a bad idea though, is there a way to make it so only the thread starter can make the tags? That way OPs can add actually useful tags to the threads they make. Otherwise random posters will just come in and add useless tags.
jay holter is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
wolf79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: savage summits
Posts: 22,728
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

nidpanther24postsagif....
some of them are really funny though, but i agree wholepartedly that it got out of hand very quickly and those disgusting slurs should be punished properly.


You're like the Ocean and I'm desperate to drown.


forever Clexa
wolf79 is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,092
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay holter View Post
They're not a bad idea though, is there a way to make it so only the thread starter can make the tags? That way OPs can add actually useful tags to the threads they make. Otherwise random posters will just come in and add useless tags.
They are switched off for the time being. And yes, tags by other posters than the thread starter can be set to zero. We can also regulate the maximum amount of tags (in total and by the thread starter).
James is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,509
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
They are switched off for the time being. And yes, tags by other posters than the thread starter can be set to zero. We can also regulate the maximum amount of tags (in total and by the thread starter).
Thanks.
It started off kind of funny when posters first discovered the tags feature but quickly escalated to a very bad situation.
Thanks for all your hard work.
bluwaters is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,609
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Why reinvent the wheel?

Te best (most efficient) way to deal with offenseive tags is the same as offensive posts

Make them identifiable, i.e. make either the tag or the maker visible (and therefore "reportable") by any poster.
Raiden is online now  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 45,932
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Super Dave is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Kookie Supporter
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 67,092
                     
Re: Offensive and racist tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Why reinvent the wheel?

Te best (most efficient) way to deal with offenseive tags is the same as offensive posts

Make them identifiable, i.e. make either the tag or the maker visible (and therefore "reportable") by any poster.
We are not reinventing the wheel. It is a new feature since the upgrade. It is not something we controlled either, it was just part of the upgrade. Which is why we are reviewing the settings for this option, to reduce problems. Most likely outcome will be that tags will return, but far less tags per thread (currently the settings were 25 max per thread, 5 max for the thread starter, 20 for others) and no more tags for those other than the thread starter.

It is less likely we can set it so the poster placing the tag is visible. But if we limit it to the thread starter anyway, that would not be a problem.
James is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome