Suggestions? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Suggestions?

Could we move the Statistics Forum into GM, where the Doubles Forum is? We have some posters great at collecting statistics (TheBoiledEgg, AnnaK4ever, Cj63pO?) and so often are statistics threads being posted in GM when they really belong in the statistics thread. Like the Statistical Tributes being posted by AnnaK4ever at the moment, I enjoy them alot, and they belong in a place where people visit, but they also belong in the statistics forum. Statistics Forum => GM plz.

I'd also like to propose we have a livescoring and commentary thread in GM, like they have on MTF.com. It's to follow matches and scores in one thread for Auckland/Perth/Brisbane and discuss things with other posters. It might also stop people posting threads about matches currently in progress, because they could just ask in that thread. Or even one commentary thread per tournament, and then u can move them to the tournament thread once the week is over.

Please dont dismiss this right away, see what some other posters think first.
Golovinjured. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Senior Member
 
hellas719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATHENS GR
Posts: 50,589
                     
Re: Suggestions?

I agree about the statistics forum part, but not about the livescores part
Is it really a problem for someone to switch from the Brisbane livescores thread to the Auckland livescores thread?

Daniilidou. Venus. Azarenka. Halep. Wickmayer.
Cornet. Ivanovic. Vesnina.. Vaidisova. Krajicek.
Paszek. Begu. Cirstea. Lisicki. Pavlyuchenkova.
Pironkova. Stephens. Tatishvili. McHale. Flipkens.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
I'm obsessed with the Greek players. Deal with it.

ANNA GERASIMOU-EIRINI GEORGATOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER
hellas719 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: Suggestions?

Hardly anyone goes into tournament subforums, it's not fun in there.
Golovinjured. is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Chip 'n Charge
 
ArturoAce.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 13,691
                     
Re: Suggestions?

I like the stats idea..

I think the live scores are fine where they're at though.
ArturoAce. is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: Suggestions?

Let's do it!
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,218
                     
Re: Suggestions?

This one relates to both GM and NT. Too many ppl (inc. me until recently) post these lonnngggg fucking articles c/p from wherever. While the originating sites don't seem to care except for Getty with pics and Cronin etc. re. articles, I suggest that the threads are more readable if most of it is in a link instead, like (@ random from Mon)


Wizards player calls gun incident 'a mistake'

January 4, 2010 8:19 p.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- Washington Wizards point guard Gilbert Arenas admits he drew guns in the team locker room in a highly publicized December 21 incident, but says he was only kidding around.

"I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate," Arenas said in a statement released Monday. "Contrary to some press accounts, I never threatened or assaulted anyone with the guns and never pointed them at anyone. Joke or not, I now recognize that what I did was a mistake and was wrong."

Rest of story in LINK


(Just type LINK or ARTICLE, whatever ova the blued out area) BTW, the source media do deserve the click where one wants to read a full article, as they paid for it.
*JR* is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: Suggestions?

I like that..
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,940
                     
Re: Suggestions?

Agree with both of Golovinjured's ideas. Especially the livescoring/commentary thread in GM. There's at least no reason I can think of why we can't at least try it out for this AO season.

JR, I suppose the websites do deserve a click on their site for putting it up. But I do prefer being able to read those articles on the original post. Plus (as seen in yesterday's stupidly-titled "Cara on the WS" thread), some people don't even read the whole articles when they're posted on here, so I hardly think they will read them if they have to click on another link.

I think others would be tempted to read the extract posted and just comment on that rather than reading the whole story, figuring they know enough about it from the one part they read.
Dave. is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,218
                     
Re: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
JR, I suppose the websites do deserve a click on their site for putting it up. But I do prefer being able to read those articles on the original post. Plus (as seen in yesterday's stupidly-titled "Cara on the WS" thread), some people don't even read the whole articles when they're posted on here, so I hardly think they will read them if they have to click on another link.

I think others would be tempted to read the extract posted and just comment on that rather than reading the whole story, figuring they know enough about it from the one part they read.
As you said Dave, some won't even read a whole article posted here anyhow. Appearance wise, it makes threads "flow better" not to have posts stretch forever, so maybe a middle ground is a limit in the length of a post in # of character or pixels? (Maybe with enlarged size type counting as some multiple)

I'm sure the software can only limit the size of a post regardless of whether its a c/p or a posters own words, but in the event a poster "wrote War And Peace on their own", that's just as tedious. I'm not saying some draconian limit like the 140 characters on Twitter, more like several hundred or a thousand.

And just like spammers get bounced from here due to this board's property rights, shouldn't we respect those of other sites by only excerpting there stuff? (I say that just based on fairness, not even taking legal stuff I'm not an expert on into account) I think an ESPN or a CNN deserves the same shot @ clicks this site does.
*JR* is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Vamorza!
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Nederland
Posts: 57,175
                     
Re: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
As you said Dave, some won't even read a whole article posted here anyhow. Appearance wise, it makes threads "flow better" not to have posts stretch forever, so maybe a middle ground is a limit in the length of a post in # of character or pixels? (Maybe with enlarged size type counting as some multiple)

I'm sure the software can only limit the size of a post regardless of whether its a c/p or a posters own words, but in the event a poster "wrote War And Peace on their own", that's just as tedious. I'm not saying some draconian limit like the 140 characters on Twitter, more like several hundred or a thousand.

And just like spammers get bounced from here due to this board's property rights, shouldn't we respect those of other sites by only excerpting there stuff? (I say that just based on fairness, not even taking legal stuff I'm not an expert on into account) I think an ESPN or a CNN deserves the same shot @ clicks this site does.
I'm pretty sure there IS a size limit on posts.
I remember reaching it in a PM anyway () and I assume it's the same for posts.
Whether it's the size you'd like it to be is another question though

Now about linking - we cannot force people to provide a link to the article they're posting. I see very few articles being posted without a link anyway.
And I don't agree with the suggestion that you should have to read an article on the original site. If only because not every site is accesible everywhere, but for other reasons as well.

What would you say if we could make
something amazing
Zamboni is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Vamorza!
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Nederland
Posts: 57,175
                     
Re: Suggestions?

deleted, point taken.
The answer to the link suggestion is still no.

What would you say if we could make
something amazing
Zamboni is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: Suggestions?

What about an answer to the original question?

Statistics > GM ?
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Vamorza!
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Nederland
Posts: 57,175
                     
Re: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golovinjured. View Post
What about an answer to the original question?

Statistics > GM ?
We discussed this earlier (a couple of months ago) and then it was decided we wouldn't.
For now, we see no reason to change that decision.

What would you say if we could make
something amazing
Zamboni is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: Suggestions?

The fact that all posters that have replied to this thread agree with moving it is not a valid reason?
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golovinjured. View Post
The fact that all posters that have replied to this thread agree with moving it is not a valid reason?
Three or so posters agreeing with you hardly seems enough reason to make a change on behalf of thousands of posters.

Unless one of those posters agreeing with you is me of course .

However, it isn't.
Kart is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome