Ads/spyware things - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,370
                     
Ads/spyware things

Sometimes when I'm browsing tennisforum the page suddenly for no reason loads another page that tells me that there is a problem with my computer and starts "scanning"(I doubt it really does it's just a gif or something) and I don't know, tells me to do something about, I just close the window so fast as I can so I'm not sure. It's obviously some spyware crap that want me to download something. It has only happened four times so far but I'm sure it has something to do with this forum. Tennisforum was the only folder open when it happened again today.

Ivanovic - Jankovic - Bartoli - Cirstea
Tipping:
#9 Highest #1 Titles: 2009: Budapest, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, 2010: Sydney, Moscow
Suicide Tennis: #51 Highest #23 Win: Bad Gastein 09, 's-Hertogenbosch 10, RU: Osaka 09, Luxembourg 09
TT Singles: #114 Highest #106
TT Doubles: #62 Highest #62 Titles: 2009 ITF Saint-Gaudens(w Marco tennis), 2010 Barcelona (w WhoAmI)
Tales is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LV-426
Posts: 37,855
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

I've had the same thing happen a few times. It most recently happened a few minutes ago.
Protoss is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27,094
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

It has nothing to do with tennisforum.com.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Rem...Way&id=1469427

It is spyware. Do not download anything! I use Chrome so I do not get it but on Internet Explorer, do not click anything! From my own experience, when I did get the popups, I closed the browser using ALT + CTRL + DEL. Do not click anything.

I am sure someone has a more intelligent answer as to how to get rid of / avoid the spyware in the future.
In The Zone is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
RandomShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,119
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

This happened to me twice yesterday. A tennisforum thread was loading and when I clicked 'stop,' it said 'read tacoma.net' or something similar, with a blank screen. I recognized it as an ad 'vendor' that shows ads on this forum. Luckily, I closed it both times, and did a full system scan and nothing was there.

Interesting to see that similar things have happened with other users here.

Bouchard | Feuerstein | Lisicki | Martic | McHale | Pironkova | All Australians
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pironkova - Sydney, January 2014
Mum, dad, we have a trophy!
RandomShot is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2009, 05:41 AM
This is my fancy user title
 
~CANUCK~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,102
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tales View Post
Sometimes when I'm browsing tennisforum the page suddenly for no reason loads another page that tells me that there is a problem with my computer and starts "scanning"(I doubt it really does it's just a gif or something) and I don't know, tells me to do something about, I just close the window so fast as I can so I'm not sure. It's obviously some spyware crap that want me to download something. It has only happened four times so far but I'm sure it has something to do with this forum. Tennisforum was the only folder open when it happened again today.
This really does sound like you have spyware installed on your computer. The ad will pop up randomly on any website that you go to. Have a look at your windows task manager and see if there are some processes running that you have never seen before.

I'm not much of an IT guy, but from past experience this really does sound like you have spyware on your computer.
~CANUCK~ is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,370
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

I'll check, but I just think it's weird how it only happens when I enter tennisforum, so my conlusion was thereafter. Happened again this morning.

Ivanovic - Jankovic - Bartoli - Cirstea
Tipping:
#9 Highest #1 Titles: 2009: Budapest, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, 2010: Sydney, Moscow
Suicide Tennis: #51 Highest #23 Win: Bad Gastein 09, 's-Hertogenbosch 10, RU: Osaka 09, Luxembourg 09
TT Singles: #114 Highest #106
TT Doubles: #62 Highest #62 Titles: 2009 ITF Saint-Gaudens(w Marco tennis), 2010 Barcelona (w WhoAmI)
Tales is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,044
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

My guess would be spyware, too - and it certainly can't hurt to run a scan on your computer.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

But whatever program you use, you need to run the scan with your computer in "safe mode" Some of the ick-ware will start up with your computer, and can look like a normal process which makes it difficult for anti-virus or anti-malware programs to catch and clean it. "Safe mode" means your computer has only the bare minimum processes running in the background.

Depending on your computer, you will either have "restart in safe mode" as an option in the shutdown/restart menu, or will need to hit one of the "F" keys during start-up (search for "start in safe mode" in your help section to find which one).

Once you do the scan and delete any problems you find, restart your computer normally.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,218
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
But whatever program you use, you need to run the scan with your computer in "safe mode" Some of the ick-ware will start up with your computer, and can look like a normal process which makes it difficult for anti-virus or anti-malware programs to catch and clean it. "Safe mode" means your computer has only the bare minimum processes running in the background.
True, and @ least in Windows XP you need to tap F8 while its booting up (inc. on a restart) a few times being OK. One should realize that they may have to manually start the spyware detector once booted into Safe Mode.

Its a real shame if indeed this site has stooped to using spyware. And one should not only regularly clear their cache of "regular" cookies, but also clear cookies from the separate cache of Flash Player, by using a tool like CCleaner (a free download from download.com, softpedia.com, etc.)
*JR* is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,044
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post

Its a real shame if indeed this site has stooped to using spyware.
It would be if they have. But even if the ickware originate here, it could just have easily have been supplied by the 3rd-party ad feed

The interwebs, they is complicated.

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,218
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
It would be if they have. But even if the ickware originate here, it could just have easily have been supplied by the 3rd-party ad feed
True, which is one reason to never accept cookies from websites other than those you individually authorize. If I click an ad and make a transaction, I will then accept Session Cookies from that website, and then close my browser after the purchase, so I'm not "tracked" by these cyber bloodhounds.

Doubleclick, etc. can fuck off B4 me clicking on an ad is treated as an "invitation" to follow me around the net. I even renew my IP address and DNS info under Network Connections regularly to prevent being "followed around" by my IP address. (I recommend that anyone else who feels "I pay for my internet access, the advertisers do not own me" do the same)
*JR* is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
jefrilibra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,981
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Dont you ever click on any site which offers to scan your PC for virus and adware. You're asking for trouble and if you've already clicked on it inadvertently, just shut down your PC ASAP!

An excellent software I'd recommend to scan for malware and spyware ...

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

Just perform a quick scan if you suspect you've been infected.
jefrilibra is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 60
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
My guess would be spyware, too - and it certainly can't hurt to run a scan on your computer.

I use Spybot Search and Destroy:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

But whatever program you use, you need to run the scan with your computer in "safe mode" Some of the ick-ware will start up with your computer, and can look like a normal process which makes it difficult for anti-virus or anti-malware programs to catch and clean it. "Safe mode" means your computer has only the bare minimum processes running in the background.

Depending on your computer, you will either have "restart in safe mode" as an option in the shutdown/restart menu, or will need to hit one of the "F" keys during start-up (search for "start in safe mode" in your help section to find which one).

Once you do the scan and delete any problems you find, restart your computer normally.
You can follow the advice that this lovely and sexy member says @griff, but also, it s good idea that you try to find a specialized board or forum about spywares and malwares issues in way to obtain a deep info about the nature of spyware or malware.

I don t know in english, but check this

http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?act=idx

http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...?showforum=18&


Good luck
petrovator is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Srodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20,862
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

I've gotten messages pop up saying my computer was at risk 3 times today on 3 different computers so now I have to use my phone for posts.
I'm not really sure what to do since this is happening on all my computers.

Serena (23) & Venus (7)
Srodgers is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,218
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Quote:
Originally Posted by srodgers View Post
I've gotten messages pop up saying my computer was at risk 3 times today on 3 different computers so now I have to use my phone for posts.
I'm not really sure what to do since this is happening on all my computers.
Try http://download.cnet.com/SpywareBlas...10196637.html? (free) especially if you're using Internet Explorer. And as I posted B4, unless you deal with flash cookies (aka LSO's for Local Shared Objects) you have little control of your computer privacy.

Just click "Delete all sites" in the settings manager box of http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager06.html when going offline for the day or whatever and you've "regained your privacy" in whatever browser. (Along with clearing your browser cache and cookies, of course)
*JR* is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
penkku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 5,102
                     
Re: Ads/spyware things

Got that thing too and it appears only when browsing on Tennisforum, happens on Explorer and Firefox.
"It has nothing to do with Tennisforum"
Haven´t had it browsing on any other site, how is that possible?
penkku is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome