An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO! - TennisForum.com
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

I noticed on www.menstennisforums.com that they have, for the last few months, had a Tournament Livescoring & Commentary Thread stickied in General Messages. Since we are their lesser, and they pave the way for all good ideas (changing the layout of our country forums for example), is it possible that we trial this measure for the upcoming US Open?

I think that would be splendid.

Sincerely yours.
Golovinjured. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

I'm not sure of the sense in reducing usage of the tournament forums when we're currently trying to encourage posters to use them more.
Kart is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

No one wants to go there, it's like a chore. Cmon Kart, please, just a trial?
Golovinjured. is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:34 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

You really do want to go there though, you just don't realise it.

Everything's so wonderful in the tournament forums - everyone's friends and the sun shines all day long.

Or so I'm told.

I haven't followed a live scoring thread since Monica lost to Martina in the Oz open semi in 2002.
Kart is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
You really do want to go there though, you just don't realise it.

Everything's so wonderful in the tournament forums - everyone's friends and the sun shines all day long.

Or so I'm told.

I haven't followed a live scoring thread since Monica lost to Martina in the Oz open semi in 2002.
I've been in there and it's chaos. No good Kart, really no good.



I think it should go;

*GENERAL TOPICS*
General Messages: including Doubles Forum, Statistics
Non Tennis
Games
Media
Recreational Tennis
Kart's Amaze FAQ & Site Rules
Bug/Error Reporting and Questions

*COUNTRY FORUMS*
(like it is now, but including a link to Rest Of The World)

*CURRENT TOURNAMENT*
US Open

*FUTURE TOURNAMENTS*
Whatever
More Tournaments

*PAST TOURNAMENTS*
New Haven
More Tournaments

*OTHER TOURNAMENTS*
ITF Circuit
Juniors
Exhibitions
Federation Cup

*BLAST FROM THE PAST*
BFPT Forum


..and of course GM should include a GM sticky for my thread idea. You should have made me a moderator long ago, I'd almost be an admin by now!
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Making you moderator would have been far too limiting of your potential. You should run for WTA CEO.

The solution though is for you to go into tournament forums more often.

After all, you've never brought anything but the opposite of chaos to every part of this board you've posted in - I'm sure the they would be paradise with you in them and other would follow.

Regarding the new ordering, really, Kart's Amaze FAQ and Site Rules should be at the top.

After all, from accusations I've read on this forum, I apparently re-ordered it all by myself to make myself feel more important.
Kart is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30,623
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

It can be even easier than yours:

Website Council
- FAQ
- Rules
- Complaints and feedback

General Topics
- WTA
- ITF
- Off topic

Country forums

Tournaments
- Current
- Next
- Past

PS: Ur idea is a good one though.
youizahoe is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,803
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
Making you moderator would have been far too limiting of your potential. You should run for WTA CEO.

The solution though is for you to go into tournament forums more often.

After all, you've never brought anything but the opposite of chaos to every part of this board you've posted in - I'm sure the they would be paradise with you in them and other would follow.

Regarding the new ordering, really, Kart's Amaze FAQ and Site Rules should be at the top.

After all, from accusations I've read on this forum, I apparently re-ordered it all by myself to make myself feel more important.
Opposite-of-chaosolovinjured.

Thanks for the kindly worded answers but I guess, for now, it's a definite no on the tournament livescoring and discussion thread in GM? Fair enough.

I really do love the kindly worded answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneres. View Post
It can be even easier than yours:

Website Council
- FAQ
- Rules
- Complaints and feedback

General Topics
- WTA
- ITF
- Off topic

Country forums

Tournaments
- Current
- Next
- Past

PS: Ur idea is a good one though.
I still like mine better, unless I can get on the Website Council.
Golovinjured. is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golovinjured. View Post
Opposite-of-chaosolovinjured.

Thanks for the kindly worded answers but I guess, for now, it's a definite no on the tournament livescoring and discussion thread in GM? Fair enough.

I really do love the kindly worded answers.
It's probable no for the time being but I avoid ruling things out completely.

When I backtrack and it happens, you can have all the credit.

Provided you don't tell the other posters I can be nice. It will only confuse them.
Kart is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,261
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golovinjured. View Post
I've been in there and it's chaos. No good Kart, really no good.



I think it should go;

*GENERAL TOPICS*
General Messages: including Doubles Forum, Statistics
Non Tennis
Games
Media
Recreational Tennis
Kart's Amaze FAQ & Site Rules
Bug/Error Reporting and Questions

*COUNTRY FORUMS*
(like it is now, but including a link to Rest Of The World)

*CURRENT TOURNAMENT*
US Open

*FUTURE TOURNAMENTS*
Whatever
More Tournaments

*PAST TOURNAMENTS*
New Haven
More Tournaments

*OTHER TOURNAMENTS*
ITF Circuit
Juniors
Exhibitions
Federation Cup

*BLAST FROM THE PAST*
BFPT Forum


..and of course GM should include a GM sticky for my thread idea. You should have made me a moderator long ago, I'd almost be an admin by now!
Kiss ass, we all know that sucks. And your idea is so good, oh wait that is how the forum was last time before the big change I like the idea though


Uranium is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,895
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

I really do not see the need for live scoring. What is the point? We have scoreboards for all tournaments now. Even a few years ago, we didn't, but now we do for almost everything. Well, maybe not Tashkent. But probably there too.

What is a good idea though, is to have a place to allow people who are watching matches and/or live scoreboards, to comment/discuss about it as it is actually happening. People want to do that and why censor it? Or is that allowed now in tournament forums?
drake3781 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Who is censoring it ?

It's always been allowed in the tournament forums.

Just not in GM.

I think it comes from a time when people wanted to not know about how a match was going in case they were going to watch it later.

So they can browse GM without the details of the match being spoiled for them.

At least that's how I understand it.
Kart is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,218
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
I'm not sure of the sense in reducing usage of the tournament forums when we're currently trying to encourage posters to use them more.
So bump the current "main tournament" forum to the top of the homepage, instead of Bugs & Errors. (FAQ's may "belong there" though)

Or as a change thats less extreme, give the current main tournament's forum sticky status, with a curved arrow link to it atop GM.

And I still want that "free fire zone" like in VS' Hockey Forum. (Suggested first thread for it: "Treat me like the bitch that I am")
*JR* is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,114
 
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

A fire free zone is one thing I can definitely tell you that you're not getting.
Kart is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Member of Rena's Army
 
Justin SW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,170
                     
Re: An idea, a good one, and just in time for USO!

Can someone take care of the fact that attached file cant be uplod instead

MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY

Justin SW is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome